Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
It should be waived when using your miles, although she may need to call in.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ons/faq-status

Additionally, on Shuttle routes, she can do a free standby, which may be useful if the change can't be confirmed.

And, if you haven't used your election for someone else, you can gift MVP status as part of your Gold 75K benefits.
In my experience, flight CHANGE fees are waived for those using Gold/75K miles, but SDC fees still apply unless you're traveling on the same reservation. Though on the shuttle routes, it's probably entirely possible to standby or confirm for free. I feel like they treat them more like buses than planes, and are more willing to bend some of the rules/waive fees just to get flights out faster.
flymonthly likes this.

Last edited by be_rettSEA; Oct 21, 2019 at 11:51 am Reason: SDC fees waived when traveling on same res
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Thank you so much everybody for the insights!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Continental
I was able to sdc to an earlier flight today, but I am not showing up on the webpage or app upgrade waitlist.
Called to do it. They tried to make it show but it still does not.
Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Departure to arrival airport is the requirement lock not the route. IAD to SEA is the lock in

SEA can not be changed for PAE (Paine field in Everett )
I've sdc'd from ANC-PDX-SEA to ANC-PDX-PAE. Did this last month. ^
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: Continental
As it turns out, the upgrade cleared although I never appeared on the list.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Departure to arrival airport is the requirement lock not the route. IAD to SEA is the lock in

SEA can not be changed for PAE (Paine field in Everett )
Originally Posted by beckoa
I've sdc'd from ANC-PDX-SEA to ANC-PDX-PAE. Did this last month. ^
once again, we see that policy isnt whats written; policy is whats practiced ... seems that YMMV should be the standard answer
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
I understand that a SDC must depart on the same calendar day as the original flight, but what if the PNR includes an overnight stopover between segments? Could I SDC to flights that both depart on day one, or would I be stuck with that day two connection?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by bon mot
I understand that a SDC must depart on the same calendar day as the original flight, but what if the PNR includes an overnight stopover between segments? Could I SDC to flights that both depart on day one, or would I be stuck with that day two connection?
YMMV. I have had this situation worth both ways. I *think* it ultimately either depends on whether there is a break in fare at the connecting city, and/or how long the overnight stop is. In one case, I had the system spit out itineraries that got me to my final destination a full 24 hours before my confirmed reservation and definitely on the previous calendar day. What I have gathered is that it is the scheduled day of departure that is the most important thing. This becomes *very* confusing for those of us departing form ANC where a 12:30 a.m. flight *cannot* be SDC'd to an 11:40 p.m. flight that is less than 1 hour earlier... But an 11:40 p.m. flight *can* be SDC'd to a 12:30 a.m. flight a full 23 hours and 10 minutes earlier...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
YMMV. I have had this situation worth both ways. I *think* it ultimately either depends on whether there is a break in fare at the connecting city, and/or how long the overnight stop is. In one case, I had the system spit out itineraries that got me to my final destination a full 24 hours before my confirmed reservation and definitely on the previous calendar day. What I have gathered is that it is the scheduled day of departure that is the most important thing. This becomes *very* confusing for those of us departing form ANC where a 12:30 a.m. flight *cannot* be SDC'd to an 11:40 p.m. flight that is less than 1 hour earlier... But an 11:40 p.m. flight *can* be SDC'd to a 12:30 a.m. flight a full 23 hours and 10 minutes earlier...
Appreciate your help,

I have an upcoming SFO-ANC with an overnight at SEA that was too good of a price to pass up. Im prepared to spend the evening at the Cathay lounge and then crash for a few hours at SEA (on my beloved Big Agnes) if I have to, but Id prefer to head home as soon as my conference is over. And yes, it's beyond irritating to not be able to SDC most post-midnight flights
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by bon mot
Appreciate your help,

I have an upcoming SFO-ANC with an overnight at SEA that was too good of a price to pass up. Im prepared to spend the evening at the Cathay lounge and then crash for a few hours at SEA (on my beloved Big Agnes) if I have to, but Id prefer to head home as soon as my conference is over. And yes, it's beyond irritating to not be able to SDC most post-midnight flights
If the call center agents won't do it, try seeing an agent (it helps if they look like they're in a great mood) at one of the service desks in SEA when you land. Tell them your situation, how you really are tired and would love to get home to your family, etc, and see if they can help. I feel like some human face to face interaction can help some be willing to bend the rules a little more than on a phone call. You may not end up with the best seat given how close to departure it will be, but you may get home a bit earlier.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 1:40 am

If I book now and then later reach MVPG, will I be able to SDC for free due to my new status? My MVPG qualifying flight will only be 5 days prior.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by pickles1107
If I book now and then later reach MVPG, will I be able to SDC for free due to my new status? My MVPG qualifying flight will only be 5 days prior.
Yes - you should be eligible for SDC regardless of your status when it was booked. Five days should be enough time for your miles to post and your status to update, but call AS if it's not happened yet and ask for them to waive the fee.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
I tried to SDC on 11/2 (Saturday) for a flight 11/3 (Sunday) originally scheduled at 8:20am.

I cannot checkin at 8:20am on 11/2, so I waited and waited and waited... for 10 minutes to no vail, and then suddenly realized the clock would change on 11/3 and thus I had to wait until 9:20am on 11/2 to checkin.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I have not done many Same Day Changes. However, when I do, I am frustrated regarding waitlists and seat selections.

Example:
a. On the app at check in, I SDC to an earlier flight. Hours later, I am not showing on the first class waitlist.
b. I call and was told that I am indeed on the list.
c. Hours later and after refreshing the app, I still don't show on the app waitlist.
d. I can't select another main cabin seat that opened up.

In my infrequent previous experience, when I didn't show up on the upgrade list, I would call and after the call I could then see myself on the list.

1. Am I really on the upgrade list if I don't show on it?
2. Should I do anything at this point either to get the other seat or about the waitlist. Call again?

Last edited by PaperGlider; Nov 6, 2019 at 8:57 pm Reason: clarity
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I have not done many Same Day Changes. However, when I do, I am frustrated regarding waitlists and seat selections.

Example:
a. On the app at check in, I SDC to an earlier flight. Hours later, I am not showing on the first class waitlist.
b. I call and was told that I am indeed on the list.
c. Hours later and after refreshing the app, I still don't show on the app waitlist.
d. I can't select another main cabin seat that opened up.

In my infrequent previous experience, when I didn't show up on the upgrade list, I would call and after the call I could then see myself on the list.

1. Am I really on the upgrade list if I don't show on it?
2. Should I do anything at this point either to get the other seat or about the waitlist. Call again?
I've not seen the issue where you're unable to select another seat, so can't help there, but I have seen the not showing up on waitlist plenty. If you don't see yourself on the app/gate waitlist, you're not on it. To prevent it from happening, wait a good 10-15 mins before you check in for your new flight for whatever backend magic has to happen, and that generally will get you there. Calling in can help sometimes, but most cases I find agents just say "no, I see you on it" and don't do much to help. Some will put you on hold, remove you and re-add you (or something similar) and that does tend to do something, but the waiting to check-in is easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.