Same Day Confirmed Change (SDC)

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I would recommend booking the last flight of the day and then using SDC/standby to get on your preferred flight once you arrive in SEA. Immigration lines and flight delays can be unpredictable...
I'll second this - its a shuttle route so there is no SDC charge that day. No guarantee you'll get it though.

If you are traveling only with carry-on's just head to the gate of the flight you want and get on the standby list. If checking bags, budget time for all of that...
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
I'll second this - its a shuttle route so there is no SDC charge that day. No guarantee you'll get it though.

If you are traveling only with carry-on's just head to the gate of the flight you want and get on the standby list. If checking bags, budget time for all of that...
I don't think this is quite right.

SDCs are still $25 unless on a full fare ticket (which a $59 ticket certainly is not) The fee is waived for gold or higher. And you can only stand by if the flight you want to SDC to is full, and I don't believe you can even do that if you don't qualify for a free SDC (through status or full fare)

I still think that booking the cheap late ticket is the right move. It's still a good deal, even with the fee.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

SDCs are still $25 unless on a full fare ticket (which a $59 ticket certainly is not) The fee is waived for gold or higher. And you can only stand by if the flight you want to SDC to is full, and I don't believe you can even do that if you don't qualify for a free SDC (through status or full fare)

I still think that booking the cheap late ticket is the right move. It's still a good deal, even with the fee.
Yes, right the same day change is standby not confirmed for the shuttle routes.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

SDC is $25 for "shuttle flights" (e.g. SEA-PDX) and $50 for other flights.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right; I thought we were talking about a shuttle flight.

If not, it's $50, but the rest of it still stands.
williwaw likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I would recommend booking the last flight of the day and then using SDC/standby to get on your preferred flight once you arrive in SEA. Immigration lines and flight delays can be unpredictable...
there will be FAR fewer hassles with requesting to stand by for an earlier flight than with throwing yourself on the mercy of a gate agent after having missed (especially deliberately) your scheduled departure
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw

Yes, right the same day change is standby not confirmed for the shuttle routes.
Oh, now I see what you are saying. I didn't realize that anyone (no restrictions) could stand by on a true shuttle flight, which avoids the fee.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

@VegasGambler - yeah I mixed the two up in my head (confirmed vs stand-by). But the fee-free standby for shuttle routes is a nice benefit for all travelers.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you so much, everyone -— lots of food for thought.

My initial rationale for booking the earliest flight is so that I could confirm my new flight the earliest. As I understand it, you can initiate the change 24 hours before the departure, but to any flight on the same calendar day of the departure. So if I opted to book the earliest flight, I'd be able to confirm a reasonably timed afternoon flight at 6.50am the day before for $25, which I'd be happy to pay. I'd be going HBO and would leave at least 3 hours to clear immigration, and in the worst case scenario of being delayed and stuck in immigration for hours, I could SDC again.

But do you reckon there's a reasonably good chance that if I end up booking the very last evening flight, I'll still be able to get onto an afternoon flight for free on standby without too much hassle, given the frequency of departures between PDX and SEA? I was worried all the reasonable afternoon departures would sell out / be SDC-ed to if I waited until after i landed and cleared immigration, hence my original plan.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saccosekk
Thank you so much, everyone -— lots of food for thought.

My initial rationale for booking the earliest flight is so that I could confirm my new flight the earliest. As I understand it, you can initiate the change 24 hours before the departure, but to any flight on the same calendar day of the departure. So if I opted to book the earliest flight, I'd be able to confirm a reasonably timed afternoon flight at 6.50am the day before for $25, which I'd be happy to pay. I'd be going HBO and would leave at least 3 hours to clear immigration, and in the worst case scenario of being delayed and stuck in immigration for hours, I could SDC again.

But do you reckon there's a reasonably good chance that if I end up booking the very last evening flight, I'll still be able to get onto an afternoon flight for free on standby without too much hassle, given the frequency of departures between PDX and SEA? I was worried all the reasonable afternoon departures would sell out / be SDC-ed to if I waited until after i landed and cleared immigration, hence my original plan.

Thanks again!
Note that you only have to pay for the first SDC. Once you SDC, your booking code is Y, which allows for free SDCs (you don't earn the mileage bonus for Y, but you can SDC again for free)

The good thing about standby is that you avoid the fee. The bad thing is that you are behind everyone who SDCs (since they will have confirmed space).

If the last flight of the day was the same price as the first one, I'd get that. Then, keep an eye on inventory (do you have an EF subscription? This is a place where it can pay off). If it looks like the flight you want might end up being full, SDC and pay the fee (it's probably worth $25 for the confirmed seat) If it looks like it won't sell out and you will probably clear as standby, you can stand by and save yourself $25. It's really hard to predict these things in advance -- it's much easier to look at the inventory the day of the flight.
saccosekk likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Note that you only have to pay for the first SDC. Once you SDC, your booking code is Y, which allows for free SDCs (you don't earn the mileage bonus for Y, but you can SDC again for free)

The good thing about standby is that you avoid the fee. The bad thing is that you are behind everyone who SDCs (since they will have confirmed space).

If the last flight of the day was the same price as the first one, I'd get that. Then, keep an eye on inventory (do you have an EF subscription? This is a place where it can pay off). If it looks like the flight you want might end up being full, SDC and pay the fee (it's probably worth $25 for the confirmed seat) If it looks like it won't sell out and you will probably clear as standby, you can stand by and save yourself $25. It's really hard to predict these things in advance -- it's much easier to look at the inventory the day of the flight.
This makes a lot of sense. They're still the same price, so I'll go for the last flight of the day. Thank you so much, VegasGambler and everyone else! You've been incredibly helpful.
williwaw likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:59 am

as.com says that it's not possible to move from a connecting itin (sna-sjc-sea) to a non-stop (sna-sea). is that hard coded into the system or is it possible for an agent to help you out?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
as.com says that it's not possible to move from a connecting itin (sna-sjc-sea) to a non-stop (sna-sea). is that hard coded into the system or is it possible for an agent to help you out?
There have been mixed reports about calling in and requesting it. Some have had success. I had an agent even say the policy was changing. But I am suspect of that and think it might have been a one off thing. Bottom line is it’s worth trying but don’t plan on it.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:12 am

Flying DXB-SFO-LAX on an Alaska award EK/AS. Within 24 hrs of the flight and all other criteria met, but support desk says it’s not possible to do SDC on SFO-LAX cuz there’s an intl partner segment. Is that true? trying on app doesn’t work either.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as with DL, it **might** work after arrival of the intl segment but not before departure

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.