Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In F On Your Flight? DISCUSSION (2012-13 archive)

Old Jan 7, 13, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Moderator note:

This thread is a companion to the series of "What Will Alaska Be Serving On Your Flight?" threads (current edition, 2012 edition).

You may see some fragments of discussion in this thread that seem to come from nowhere. Those are posts the moderators have moved from the above-mentioned thread into this one in an effort to try to keep that thread centered strictly on reports. If you notice a post (or series of posts) in the REPORTS thread that isn't a report about an on-board meal, please feel free to click the "Alert A Moderator To This Post" triangle and let us know that there is some maintenance to be done and we'll get on it when able.

Regards,
jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In F On Your Flight? DISCUSSION (2012-13 archive)

Old Feb 15, 13, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I had the same question the first time I tried to post a photo (I am a newbie too). This was the response someone gave me and it worked perfectly - and I did use imageshack.com:

"You need to put the picture properly sized someplace online, if you don't have anyplace, you can use imageshack.com. You upload the picture there and it will resize it to the size you want, and it will give you a link.

Click on the mountain icon to insert a picture, and copy the URL into that."

Sorry to go OT.
Simple, go to Flicker or any other online hosting for pictures, once you post it to the online hosting, just copy the URL into the icon that looks like a the planet with link, this will go out and get the photo and show up in your posting.
Old Feb 18, 13, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
In my experience, airlines often don't give meals on red eyes, figuring that by 11:00 you've already finished eating for the day. Were I that hungry, I'd have asked about buying something from the Y inventory.
Old Feb 18, 13, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Alaska Geo View Post
AS 125 1/2/13 11 pm SEA-FAI 4hrs!

This is only thing we were offered; One sticky roll. Nothing else! For a 4 hour flight. Having flown 500,000 miles with AS, I have never seen anything as sparse as this in F. I cut away a slice to see if there was some fruit or filling, but it is mostly just a big pile of carbohydrates and fat. What if you are a diabetic? I Twittered and emailed AS on this and a month later I never received a reply. Anyone know if this is standard fare for long late night flights?
Points Scrounger summed it up pretty well. It's 11pm, most people aren't eating that late. That said, I can understand your concern and wanted to let you know that I believe a fix for this is on the way. It may be a couple months but I think there is something slightly more substantial coming for some of the red eye flights.
Old Feb 19, 13, 12:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

This is only thing we were offered; One sticky roll. Nothing else! For a 4 hour flight. Having flown 500,000 miles with AS, I have never seen anything as sparse as this in F. I cut away a slice to see if there was some fruit or filling, but it is mostly just a big pile of carbohydrates and fat. What if you are a diabetic? I Twittered and emailed AS on this and a month later I never received a reply. Anyone know if this is standard fare for long late night flights?
Flown many a red eye (and other flights 10:00pm and on) on AS, AA, CO and DL through the years and never offered a meal.
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
In my experience, airlines often don't give meals on red eyes, figuring that by 11:00 you've already finished eating for the day. Were I that hungry, I'd have asked about buying something from the Y inventory.
UA offers a pretty substantial cheese/fruit/cold cuts plate on their red-eye ANC-SEA flight.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 19, 13 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 19, 13, 10:36 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
UA offers a pretty substantial cheese/fruit/cold cuts plate on their red-eye ANC-SEA flight.
Is that still the case? That was the sCO mid-con red-eye meal. The current offering, IMO, is more substantial and of better quality. I believe red-eye flights get the snack plate similar to what we get on mid-cons that are classified as snack [like what we had on DEN-EWR for instance with chicken and corn along with a salad bowl, chips/salsa, etc]. There are 3-4 different snack plates that get rotated around.

I have a couple of red-eye flights in the next month or two and I'll be sure to share.
Old Feb 19, 13, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Is that still the case? That was the sCO mid-con red-eye meal. The current offering, IMO, is more substantial and of better quality. I believe red-eye flights get the snack plate similar to what we get on mid-cons that are classified as snack [like what we had on DEN-EWR for instance with chicken and corn along with a salad bowl, chips/salsa, etc]. There are 3-4 different snack plates that get rotated around.

I have a couple of red-eye flights in the next month or two and I'll be sure to share.
You may be correct. My experience was from fall '11 when it was still PMCO.
Old Feb 19, 13, 11:40 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Sorry, but even back in the golden age of AS flights in the early 1990s I don't recall the redeye night flights including a full meal service. Flying at night is BYOF (bring your own food).

Wouldn't it be nice to roll back the calendar and have the old-style service on domestic carriers like AS? F class daytime flights were quite different back then. Cocktails were served before take-off, hot towels offered to freshen up before the meal, 3 courses served one-by-one with your choice of entrees - after a white table cloth was placed on the tray table - and more. On domestic flights. ((**sigh**))

I Twittered and emailed AS on this and a month later I never received a reply.

I'm very surprised that you didn't get a response on Twitter. In my experience, they monitor for @mentions and usually are quite quick to reply or comment back to followers. Did you use the correct account, @AlaskaAir ?

Last edited by AKCuisine; Feb 19, 13 at 11:45 am Reason: Addendum to comment about Twitter
Old Feb 19, 13, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by AKCuisine View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to roll back the calendar and have the old-style service on domestic carriers like AS? F class daytime flights were quite different back then. Cocktails were served before take-off, hot towels offered to freshen up before the meal, 3 courses served one-by-one with your choice of entrees - after a white table cloth was placed on the tray table - and more.
Minus the individual plating, that sounds a lot like DL F. PDB, hot towels, table cloth (albeit it's more of a beige, not white).

I hear AA F is decent too, but I doubt it'll remain like that.
Old Feb 19, 13, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
Minus the individual plating, that sounds a lot like DL F. PDB, hot towels, table cloth (albeit it's more of a beige, not white).

I hear AA F is decent too, but I doubt it'll remain like that.
Taken AA first 3 times this year and it has been pretty good service. No PDB on any of them and that seems to be real hit or miss depending on the FA's.

Food was very good.
Old Feb 25, 13, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Flown many a red eye (and other flights 10:00pm and on) on AS, AA, CO and DL through the years and never offered a meal.
On the other hand, AC754 (SFO-YYZ, 10:00pm) offers a full meal service to those interested immediately following departure. Full menu, including salad, 3 mains, warm bread basket presented 2+ times, full wine service and shortly thereafter freshly baked cookies of 2 varieties and ice cream. They also sell J-esque hot meals to Y for $13 including a snack. It's usually Chicken or Pasta by the time it gets mid-plane, and it's not half bad.

They even manage to serve hot meals YYZ-YOW (a 50 minute hop). Full hot breakfast in the AM (eggs and potatoes or pancakes, sausages, bread, etc), warm chicken salad before and after lunch, and usually fajitas for the rest of the meal services. It's quite amusing to see how fast the FAs complete service on a <1h flight to a 319/320 with 14-16 pax. I'm fairly certain AC serves food on all the J flights except the 17min/94mi YOW-YUL.

Also on a recent UA SFO-BOS at 1030p I was offered a light dinner, and it good if uninspired.

Good to have a frame of reference

Last edited by arcticbull; Feb 25, 13 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 7, 13, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

FA's have been more proactive this month in salt & pepper distrubution ^
Old Mar 12, 13, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Let's see if Finkface's photo posting tips work...
Glad to see they did
Old Mar 12, 13, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Note to self: avoid the meal on AS 302 in two weeks to save room for Dinner on CX 873.
Old Mar 12, 13, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA View Post
Note to self: avoid the meal on AS 302 in two weeks to save room for Dinner on CX 873.
Abso-freaking-lutely. That's a total no-brainer.

Search this Thread