Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In F On Your Flight? DISCUSSION (2012-13 archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Moderator note:

This thread is a companion to the series of "What Will Alaska Be Serving On Your Flight?" threads (current edition, 2012 edition).

You may see some fragments of discussion in this thread that seem to come from nowhere. Those are posts the moderators have moved from the above-mentioned thread into this one in an effort to try to keep that thread centered strictly on reports. If you notice a post (or series of posts) in the REPORTS thread that isn't a report about an on-board meal, please feel free to click the "Alert A Moderator To This Post" triangle and let us know that there is some maintenance to be done and we'll get on it when able.

Regards,
jackal
Co-Moderator
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In F On Your Flight? DISCUSSION (2012-13 archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'm wondering if that was supposed to be a fried rice?
Old May 14, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I'm wondering if that was supposed to be a fried rice?
The flight attendant described it as risotto. I assume they have a cheat-sheet that tells them what the meal is and how to plate it.

But it certainly wasn't risotto, nor was it fried rice.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by seacarl
The flight attendant described it as risotto. I assume they have a cheat-sheet that tells them what the meal is and how to plate it.

But it certainly wasn't risotto, nor was it fried rice.
My hunch is that AS was looking to cut the budget when they cut out the protein and substituted starch.The FA on my flight also called it "risotto" when technically it was not, but you know what? It tasted relatively good (and I'm a fairly picky food-focused eater).

Come to think of it, the rice dish probably have tasted *relatively* good because it was in contrast to the cold dry chicken that had been showing up recently.

But a car bumper with gravy would taste good when compared to the "Arid Frigid Chicken" dish. Meh.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Aaron01
So you just, uh...you just cut them up like regular chickens?

LOL! The pic does look a little bit like a baby chick splayed out on the plate. It was a bit of boneless thigh which probably kept it from getting arid like typical airline chicken.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
LOL! The pic does look a little bit like a baby chick splayed out on the plate. It was a bit of boneless thigh which probably kept it from getting arid like typical airline chicken.
Seeing that picture, I can't help but think of this picture that a[n admittedly kooky conspiracy-theorist-type] friend posted on Facebook yesterday:

Old May 14, 2013, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Mmm... Chick'n
Old May 14, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Seeing that picture, I can't help but think of this picture that a[n admittedly kooky conspiracy-theorist-type] friend posted on Facebook yesterday:

Yikes! If that's a regular supermarket-type chicken, then I can't begin to imagine what one of the genetically modified desert-bred (ie: *arid*) airline prototypes looks like ...

(Urrppp ... it might be time for this die-hard carnivore to think about vegetarianism ...)
Old May 14, 2013, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
That genetically enhanced supermarket chicken can hardly stand. Perhaps it was raised at the Boneless Chicken Ranch...

The Boneless Chicken Ranch
Old May 14, 2013, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

So that's where KFC got chicken for its new campaign
Old May 15, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
That genetically enhanced supermarket chicken can hardly stand. Perhaps it was raised at the Boneless Chicken Ranch...
Perhaps, but I have another idea about where airlines might source the inevitably dry, dessicated chicken they serve onboard ....

Sand Pit: The Breeding Ground for Arid Desert Chicken

But of course, AS would never do that. Or would they?
Old May 15, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Yikes! If that's a regular supermarket-type chicken, then I can't begin to imagine what one of the genetically modified desert-bred (ie: *arid*) airline prototypes looks like ...

(Urrppp ... it might be time for this die-hard carnivore to think about vegetarianism ...)
I don't know that I would go making life decisions based off of what somebody posted on facebook. If I even had one, I would probably ignore most of what's on there anyways. It's just barely above the internets lowest common denominator (twitter)

Sorry that my Eraserhead reference took us into this direction
Old May 16, 2013, 2:27 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
In fairness, the rice "risotto" dish is probably AS's worst.
FYI ... the risotto is going away.
Old May 16, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Hurray! Where's the LIKE button?
Old May 16, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Hurray! Where's the LIKE button?
^^^ I had that recently SEA-LAX, if was awful, flavorless. And no salt/pepper either. I ended up using my salad dressing on the 'risotto' to make it taste less pasty. And I love risotto. Well, beating a dead horse here, glad to see it's going away.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
^^^ I had that recently SEA-LAX, if was awful, flavorless. And no salt/pepper either. I ended up using my salad dressing on the 'risotto' to make it taste less pasty. And I love risotto. Well, beating a dead horse here, glad to see it's going away.
Haven't had the risotto yet, but the orzo pasta wasn't all that bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.