Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

SLC is now an AS Destination! Starts 4-4-13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Just saw splash screen on Alaskaair.com

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com

Hello Salt Lake City
Introducing Nonstop Service Between Seattle and Salt Lake City

Alaska Airlines is pleased to announce new service to Salt Lake City, beginning April 4, 2013. Whether you are looking to find your roots in the Genealogy Capital of the World, enjoy the area art and culture, or set up a base camp to explore the 21 nearby National Parks and Monuments ... there's something in Salt Lake City for you. Buy now and take advantage of introductory low fares starting at $99* each way.

Sample fares OW:

Seattle
as low as $99*
Portland
as low as $120*
Spokane
as low as $140*
Pasco
as low as $155*
Bend
as low as $155*
Vancouver
as low as $180*
Anchorage
as low as $259*
Fairbanks
as low as $279*
Code:
From - To	Departs	Arrives	Frequency

Seattle - Salt Lake City	
7:00 a.m. 	9:59 a.m
1:10 p.m.         4:10 p.m  	Daily

Salt Lake City - Seattle	
11:00 a.m.	12:07 p.m.
5:10 p.m.         6:17 p.m.	Daily

Last edited by beckoa; Nov 1, 2012 at 1:56 am
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Interesting as I don't see the flights loaded yet- and when one registers for the double miles promo, it yields:
You have registered for the "New Market Double Miles" promotion. We have recorded the following information:
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Delta Silver
Yes!!! Finally!!! Seriously thinking about booking on the inaugural flight. I've been wanting this route for years!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:41 am

Shows up bookable on Kayak.com, which directs me to alaskaair.com, where I can complete my purchase. Not sure why its not showing up yet in their search results...

EDIT: I can now also search for it on alaskaair.com

Last edited by rybob1; Nov 1, 2012 at 3:48 am
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
About time. I wonder how much of this was driven by the AS/DL additions in SEA
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Sweet!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Interesting. I requested this at the Gold lunch a couple of weeks ago. Glad to hear I have that kind of pull with AS
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

This has been requested for so long it's almost anti-climactic! Good to finally see it happen.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Booked on the inaugural and strange enough my PNR begins with BYU
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by kwl747
Booked on the inaugural and strange enough my PNR begins with BYU
What a coincidence! My PNR begins with LDS.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:22 am

Booked on inaugural, but mine is just AED, sorry to break the coincidental acronym trend here...unless I'm missing something about Utah that fits with AED .
Old Nov 1, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
IMHO, this is odd. All the reasons not to start this earlier are still there: lots of direct competition from DL and WN, relatively low yield fares, not a huge market.

And then, when I saw the announcement and looked I expected to see 3x or 4x daily Q400 service, a la BOI and RNO (or, OO-operated CR7's), but then, it's 2x with 738's. I would have thought that more SEA/PDX/SJC/SAN - EWR/WAS/BOS/HNL type flying would make more money.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DCA-SEA
IMHO, this is odd. All the reasons not to start this earlier are still there: lots of direct competition from DL and WN, relatively low yield fares, not a huge market.

And then, when I saw the announcement and looked I expected to see 3x or 4x daily Q400 service, a la BOI and RNO (or, OO-operated CR7's), but then, it's 2x with 738's. I would have thought that more SEA/PDX/SJC/SAN - EWR/WAS/BOS/HNL type flying would make more money.
I agree completely, and I'm baffled. Looking at the schedule, these new AS flights are competing directly with DL flights. For connecting traffic, I would think Alaska would be better off slapping its code on the DL flights (which they already do) and selling them as codeshares, or having DL sell connecting codeshares on AS metal (which they also already do). A few hypotheses come to mind:
  1. DL wanted to expand SLC-SEA service significantly (possibly to connect to lucrative new long-haul out of SEA) and reasoned AS could provide the service at a lower cost. DL can sell it under its own code and still reap the profits from the long-haul.
  2. AS is proactively attempting to head off potential anti-trust issues with its expanding DL partnership ("look, we even expanded service to compete directly with DL in their hub")
  3. AS thinks this route is going to be extremely profitable, more profitable than any other new market, so much so that it is willing to stick its thumb in Delta's eye.
To be honest, the third seems the least likely to me, especially considering WN's presence and DL's extremely entrenched position. Perhaps the fact that SEA-SLC is mainline Delta rather than CPA significantly reduces DL's willingness to expand its own service.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
There is also an indication that the suspended DL direct flight ANC-SLC is gone permanently. This may be AS way of getting that traffic as a one stop itinerary. This makes some sense as it keeps the Alaska pax on the same carrier all the way to SLC.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes
I agree completely, and I'm baffled. Looking at the schedule, these new AS flights are competing directly with DL flights. For connecting traffic, I would think Alaska would be better off slapping its code on the DL flights (which they already do) and selling them as codeshares, or having DL sell connecting codeshares on AS metal (which they also already do). A few hypotheses come to mind:
  1. DL wanted to expand SLC-SEA service significantly (possibly to connect to lucrative new long-haul out of SEA) and reasoned AS could provide the service at a lower cost. DL can sell it under its own code and still reap the profits from the long-haul.
  2. AS is proactively attempting to head off potential anti-trust issues with its expanding DL partnership ("look, we even expanded service to compete directly with DL in their hub")
  3. AS thinks this route is going to be extremely profitable, more profitable than any other new market, so much so that it is willing to stick its thumb in Delta's eye.
To be honest, the third seems the least likely to me, especially considering WN's presence and DL's extremely entrenched position. Perhaps the fact that SEA-SLC is mainline Delta rather than CPA significantly reduces DL's willingness to expand its own service.
Southwest has retreated some over the last 5 or so years from SLC. At the same time DL has increased available seats by at the very least switching to all mainline aircraft on this route. Is it possible that with the additional competition, WN will decide to pull out completely? WN is currently at 2 or 3 flights per day, depending on the day of week. Isn't that about what they were at with their GEG-SEA and BOI-SEA service before they closed those routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.