Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Use miles from 2 diff't accounts on one award PNR (one elite. another no status)

Use miles from 2 diff't accounts on one award PNR (one elite. another no status)

Old Sep 26, 12, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Wife has MVP gold through 12/31/12
I have no status.

Looking to use our Mileage plan miles to travel from SFO-Dublin on AA metal in April 2012 for 40k miles each.

We both have about 50k miles right now and she won't accumulate another 30k to issue both tix under her account.

Wanted to know AS will issue the ticket under her name and account but deduct miles from both our accounts (not really pooling miles, but combining two PNR's into one)

that way: 1. I can benefit from better seating choices.
2. We can make changes for free up until 12/31/12.

The flights are SFO-ORD-DUB and DUB-ORD-SFO.

I can get ORD-DUB on the outbound only (no SFO, SJC to ORD). return flight can get no problem.

So I'm hoping to "hold" an SFO-ORD flight on another date that is available (AS did this for me last year) and then when/if something opens up, they can change the flight w/out any charges or if nothing comes up we'll do SFO-LHR which is available.

Anyway, will AS do this for MVP gold members? (allow a family member who doesn't have elite status "tag along" on their PNR)?
Old Sep 26, 12, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I don't believe this is possible. You'll need 80K in one account.

Sign up for a BoA Visa to get 25K, they post the bonus miles pretty fast. Then pay to purchase or transfer the remaining 5000 miles.

Might want to confirm first though that even if you're on the same PNR, that your wife's MVPG bennies apply also for you on partner awards. Not too sure if that's the case.
Old Sep 26, 12, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
My experience has been that MVPG benefits apply to nonstatus companion on partner award PNR.
I've often wondered about a similar situation now that my wife has accumulated enough miles for an international award. Can I use my gold miles for nonstatus passenger award and nonstatus miles for my award and still be able to make changes as the booking windows and available flights change?
Old Sep 26, 12, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by abner o'mal View Post
My experience has been that MVPG benefits apply to nonstatus companion on partner award PNR.
I've often wondered about a similar situation now that my wife has accumulated enough miles for an international award. Can I use my gold miles for nonstatus passenger award and nonstatus miles for my award and still be able to make changes as the booking windows and available flights change?
Probably won't work. Seems like it's like it is on AA where the source of the miles determines the benefits. MVPG on a no-status member's miles will likely be just like a no-status member.
Old Sep 26, 12, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
Probably won't work. Seems like it's like it is on AA where the source of the miles determines the benefits. MVPG on a no-status member's miles will likely be just like a no-status member.
Rescinded MD taught me something today

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 27, 12 at 3:20 am Reason: F5
Old Sep 27, 12, 1:17 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
You can have one PNR for two people, and use different accounts for each person's redemption/ticket. You have to call in to do this. It can't be done online.

You will be able to use her status for seat assignments, but you won't be able to use her status to get both change fees waived.
Old Sep 27, 12, 9:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
You can have one PNR for two people, and use different accounts for each person's redemption/ticket. You have to call in to do this. It can't be done online.

You will be able to use her status for seat assignments, but you won't be able to use her status to get both change fees waived.
Once again, I learned something new today. Thanks missydarlin!

OP, if you want to try this, have your wife call in since the $15 phone booking fee is waived for MVPG members.

Missy, just for clarification, I would imagine that this must be done at the time of ticketing, correct? If two PNR's were already generated, it's too late?
Old Sep 27, 12, 1:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by braffy View Post
Once again, I learned something new today. Thanks missydarlin!

OP, if you want to try this, have your wife call in since the $15 phone booking fee is waived for MVPG members.

Missy, just for clarification, I would imagine that this must be done at the time of ticketing, correct? If two PNR's were already generated, it's too late?
correct. It has to be ticketed together from the beginning.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: