Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Any reason you can't book it online? Mixed class bookings are fine, as long as it's on EK to your final destination there shouldn't be any issues.
Not according to the agent... it is Dubai on business to Cape Town on economy.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aarato
Not according to the agent... it is Dubai on business to Cape Town on economy.
That's when you hang up and call again. Agent was completely wrong. If you go online you will see mixed cabin all over the place without even trying.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDKing
That's when you hang up and call again. Agent was completely wrong. If you go online you will see mixed cabin all over the place without even trying.
Yep
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Well I just cancelled an EK booking.

Will try out JAL F instead
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:09 pm

How many award seats does EK give out for LAX-DXB? Based on my experience with AS site, I would've guessed 2. But this month, my wife and I flew LAX-DXB and DXB-MAD in F, and in both flights there was someone in his 20s (not the same guy). I suppose they could both be wealthy, but my guess is that those guys booked with miles. If EK limits it to 2 F seats via AS, I suppose they could've used EK or JL miles. Or does EK release award seats last minute if there are lots of empty seats as was the case here?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
How many award seats does EK give out for LAX-DXB? Based on my experience with AS site, I would've guessed 2. But this month, my wife and I flew LAX-DXB and DXB-MAD in F, and in both flights there was someone in his 20s (not the same guy). I suppose they could both be wealthy, but my guess is that those guys booked with miles. If EK limits it to 2 F seats via AS, I suppose they could've used EK or JL miles. Or does EK release award seats last minute if there are lots of empty seats as was the case here?
That's an interesting assumption. Maybe they were corporate drones flying on their company's dime?
Maybe used miles to upgrade from J on above premise?

I don't see why they wouldn't release more than 2 if 12 seats are projected empty.

I
Old Mar 17, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I'm thinking about booking non-stop MCO>DXB in November. What happens if they cancel that route? Do they just cancel my booking or will they automatically send me through JFK? (Sorry if it's a dumb question.)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:37 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I have seen as many as 3 in First on select days DXB-LAX via Expert Flyer when checking in November 2015 at around the 6 month mark... This was highly unusual (not typical) and I have seen as many as 3 on the JFK-DXB routes as well.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I'm thinking about booking non-stop MCO>DXB in November. What happens if they cancel that route? Do they just cancel my booking or will they automatically send me through JFK? (Sorry if it's a dumb question.)
Ek hasn't dropped a US route yet only changed from A380 to 77W in cities that A380 may be too much so I wouldn't worry
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Throttling"

Has anybody had experiences with AS "throttling" EK availability?

I was about to book 3x DXB-IAD in F; 2x from one account, and 1x from another.

I did a search on AS for 3 pax right before this transaction. Upon completion of the first, the availability for the other two disappeared even though EF and QF still have it available.

I also did a search DXB-JFK; EF shows a few F spots for the day I'm searching while AS shows no availability.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by UNITED959

I did a search on AS for 3 pax right before this transaction. Upon completion of the first, the availability for the other two disappeared even though EF and QF still have it available.

I also did a search DXB-JFK; EF shows a few F spots for the day I'm searching while AS shows no availability.
Call them up. Agents can see and catch disappeared space online that is available at least it has happened to me many times.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by UNITED959

Apparently you need to call AS when you want to book awards from two accounts. It's very common for award space to vanish when you do as you did. It happened to me.

I also have not seen perfect correlation between EF and AS. It's an indicator but not spot on. Yes, it's frustrating.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for these tips - I'll give them a call now.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...annnnnnnnd problem solved! ^ Thanks for the sage advice.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
To follow up, there were at least 3 AS redeemers, perhaps more in F on my flight today. 6/8 seats taken total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.