Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Any tricks to get Alaska website to show the DXB-JNB or -CPT availability? I can see availability for USA-DXB but I cannot see any DXB-JNB or -CPT availability because they say there don't fly to JNB or CPT.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by XMS91
Any tricks to get Alaska website to show the DXB-JNB or -CPT availability? I can see availability for USA-DXB but I cannot see any DXB-JNB or -CPT availability because they say there don't fly to JNB or CPT.
There's not a good way to search just that leg. I think your best bet is to find a day with US-DXB availability and then use the multiple destination search to do US-DXB on the one day and then DXB-JNB/CPT.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott (Titanium); National (Exec); Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
There's not a good way to search just that leg. I think your best bet is to find a day with US-DXB availability and then use the multiple destination search to do US-DXB on the one day and then DXB-JNB/CPT.
Perfect timing thanks. I just figured it out I guess I have been used to United where you have to be very careful with the .Bomb
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: United, SPG, Hyatt
I've been running into a similar issue. I want to take the earlier 10am flight from MLE-DXB (before connecting to the US), which never shows in the AS website results, since the later 10pm flight always makes for a shorter connection. But in this case I explicitly want the longer connection. The only way to check that flight that I've found so far is to reference EF and then call AS to have them verify their separate inventory.

If anyone else has a better way to check this, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep pestering their booking agents

BTW, very insightful discussion earlier in the thread between ASTechGuy et al. I was about to post here why AS agents don't see all award space that EF shows, but this thread answered all my questions (for the worse, unfortunately).
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by julp
If anyone else has a better way to check this, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep pestering their booking agents
Should be able to use multi-city to book it online.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:35 pm

EK routing using AS miles

I just booked LAX-DXB-JNB on EK using AS miles for end of October. I want to change the DXB-JNB to DXB-CPT but the AS site shows no seats available even though EF shows plenty of award seats available. Just wondering if this is a routing that AS/EK don't allow? A call to the AS help desk didn't help. They say there is nothing, even though I can clearly see seats available through EF on multiple dates. No problem on the return itinerary, although the AS site can't seem to handle overnight flights that connect the next day. I have to search as a multiple-city rather than a one-way.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mfillman
I just booked LAX-DXB-JNB on EK using AS miles for end of October. I want to change the DXB-JNB to DXB-CPT but the AS site shows no seats available even though EF shows plenty of award seats available. Just wondering if this is a routing that AS/EK don't allow? A call to the AS help desk didn't help. They say there is nothing, even though I can clearly see seats available through EF on multiple dates. No problem on the return itinerary, although the AS site can't seem to handle overnight flights that connect the next day. I have to search as a multiple-city rather than a one-way.
That routing is available (eg LAX-CPT on 4/28 right now)

Elsewhere in this thread people have reported a mismatch between AS and EF. I'm pretty lazy so I won't link it but I think it was like 2-3 pages back. I believe the conclusion was 'yes AS does not have the same inventory as EF and oh well'
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:44 pm

What fare class and what date? I just looked on EF, nothing on Z (Saver first) and D (Saver business) for the entire month of October DXB to CPT
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:58 pm

Guys..

I am trying to do JFK-DXB-CMB...and I would like to stop over in DXB for 2 days possibly. When I search JFK-DXB there are flight and JFK-CMB shows great connection on Nov 2014. I was trying to do 2 different segments but when I search DXB to CMB it shows none? Any tricks? Appreciate the help.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by woow14610
Guys..

I am trying to do JFK-DXB-CMB...and I would like to stop over in DXB for 2 days possibly. When I search JFK-DXB there are flight and JFK-CMB shows great connection on Nov 2014. I was trying to do 2 different segments but when I search DXB to CMB it shows none? Any tricks? Appreciate the help.
AS doesn't allow middle east-<whatever CMB is> awards so you have to either use a multicity search or just search JFK-CMB to find the DXB-CMB leg and then do multicity later to actually book.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:17 pm

AS doesn't allow middle east-<whatever CMB is> awards so you have to either use a multicity search or just search JFK-CMB to find the DXB-CMB leg and then do multicity later to actually book.
Thanks for the help. It worked.

Last edited by woow14610; Jan 9, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
What fare class and what date? I just looked on EF, nothing on Z (Saver first) and D (Saver business) for the entire month of October DXB to CPT
O class. Flex Business. Plenty of seats.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mfillman
O class. Flex Business. Plenty of seats.
AS redeemable awards only come from the Saver buckets.

Flex business is equiv to the standard award on UA - much more points and not available for partners
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:59 pm

That routing is available (eg LAX-CPT on 4/28 right now)

Elsewhere in this thread people have reported a mismatch between AS and EF. I'm pretty lazy so I won't link it but I think it was like 2-3 pages back. I believe the conclusion was 'yes AS does not have the same inventory as EF and oh well'
Yes, I saw that thread as well. Also there seems to be a mismatch with EKs own Website. My current booking is mixed cabin, first and business. There seems to be some discussion here about whether or not the booking can be changed if and when first becomes available without canceling the whole booking and starting over. I've read reports that say some AS agents can and will do it and others won't.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
AS redeemable awards only come from the Saver buckets.

Flex business is equiv to the standard award on UA - much more points and not available for partners
Thanks! That is very helpful to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.