Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 7, 15, 4:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Wiki Link
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 17, 13, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I wish I got in within the first few weeks of the awards going live. Almost every day had Z2 JFK-DXB. At least i have a UA partner F award as a backup but i really want to do EK
At least they have one-way awards now. I guess that's a consolation prize
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
At least they have one-way awards now. I guess that's a consolation prize
Yep because when i'm seeing seats its to DXB and less going from DXB so mini RTW is probably going to be the only option. I'm just not looking forward to hopping of INTL F equipment at JFK and taking greyhound back to MA.
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:34 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
I noticed JFK has 3 flights on Tuesdays in October.

Is there enough load to run 2 A380s and a 77W to dubai? (In addition to all the other gateways they have in USA?

Don't get me wrong, I know DXB is a quickly growing center for commerce and hub for EK/QF on to other destinations, but 1300 seats JFK and 1800 more from the rest of the USA (3100 people are all going to Dubai on a given day?)
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post

Is there enough load to run 2 A380s and a 77W to dubai? (In addition to all the other gateways they have in USA?

Don't get me wrong, I know DXB is a quickly growing center for commerce and hub for EK/QF on to other destinations, but 1300 seats JFK and 1800 more from the rest of the USA (3100 people are all going to Dubai on a given day?)
FYI the 3rd daily JFK flight stops in MXP, so a lot of that traffic will likely be deplaning there. As for the 3100 seats to DXB on EK, I would reckon a relatively small portion of those have DXB as their final destination. They are headed to DEL, BOM, HYD, CMB, NBO, ADD, JNB, JED, DOH, etc.

Also, many more than 3100 people likely pass from the US to/through Dubai on a given day, as DL and UA fly there as well, and many DXB O/D passengers likely travel on BA, AF, LH, and maybe even CX (as I have), and KE.
Old Jun 17, 13, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, USdbaAA EXP

EK runs two A380s every day. The 77W is the new JFK-MXP-DXB flight which operates daily starting in October. And yes there is enough demand for seats to/thru DXB.
Old Jun 18, 13, 1:40 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Does anyone have experience with booking 1Z and 1D on the same flight and having another Z open down the road?

I am not seeing much Z opening anytime soon.

Would EK flight F4 rather than let a D upgrade to Z
Old Jun 18, 13, 2:56 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; Nexus 4 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/27.0.1453.90 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by AMRivlin

As others have said, most pax will simply transit DXB, but the numbers give you some idea why EK and the other GCC airlines scare the heck out of the rest of the industry...
Old Jun 19, 13, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, USdbaAA EXP
Does anyone have experience with booking 1Z and 1D on the same flight and having another Z open down the road?
I am not seeing much Z opening anytime soon.
Would EK flight F4 rather than let a D upgrade to Z
EK will release additional Z seats, usually within a couple of weeks of departure, depending on the inventory.
Old Jun 24, 13, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Has anyone been able to book Emirates at more than 331 days out through the Partner Desk? I see EK availability for 335 days out but both times I called, Alaska said they could not see beyond 331 days. Not only that, both agents added that they now could not see beyond 331 days for *any* partners any more.

Last edited by andyman1080; Jun 24, 13 at 12:23 pm Reason: last sentence was missing a not.
Old Jun 24, 13, 12:11 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Lifetime SkyClub
Originally Posted by andyman1080 View Post
Not only that, both agents added that they now could see beyond 331 days for *any* partners any more.
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...omes-possible/

I'm confused --- this post suggests that AS Partner Desk folks can book Qantas tickets when Qantas makes them available loads their schedules at about 354 days out. Is that gone now or can EK be booked in a similar fashion (AS can't see it but it's still bookable)?
Old Jun 24, 13, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Sorry, I left out a crucial 'not'. Both times I've called recently, I've been told that they can't see beyond 331 days for any partner. So I am confused also, trying to determine if I was given incorrect information, or something has indeed changed.
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by andyman1080 View Post
Sorry, I left out a crucial 'not'. Both times I've called recently, I've been told that they can't see beyond 331 days for any partner. So I am confused also, trying to determine if I was given incorrect information, or something has indeed changed.
It was possible few months back. Not sure if they changed the policy.
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:35 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
It was possible few months back. Not sure if they changed the policy.
It did change. In order to facilitate getting everyone bookable online, they moved to a consistent 330 days out for all partner awards.
Old Jun 24, 13, 1:47 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
It did change. In order to facilitate getting everyone bookable online, they moved to a consistent 330 days out for all partner awards.

"Consistent" is often used as a euphemism for "lowest common denominator" in the travel industry. Whatever is the cheapest/easiest to do gets implemented everywhere, eroding all the little pockets of benefits and delight that used to exist.

For those traveling to Australia, access to QF awards (particularly F) is much more valuable than consistency of award availability across carriers. In fact, booking at 354 days out is almost the only way to book those awards.

I'm not sure why customer complaints about award availability warranted action in this case, when every other comment regarding lack of award availability is met with a stiff "we have no control over that, we just show what partners give us."
Old Jun 24, 13, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
Qantas as well? If so, we have suffered a major diminishment of benefits to Mileage Plan. I've redeemed over a dozen premium class awards on Qantas, in every case securing them the day they were released by Qantas.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: