Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SFO777
More EK award bull-crap.
This whole thing stinks

Sounds like EK is doing what AF/KL did to their partners recently. I suspect they are working on devising a separate award inventory [one for Skywards and one for everyone else] as earning miles with AS and QF is vastly easier than with Skywards.

The US airlines has made mileage earning outside of flying itself way too easy and they are getting bit in the butt.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by golfingboy
The US airlines has made mileage earning outside of flying itself way too easy and they are getting bit in the butt.
But how much do you blame on US airlines and how much do you blame non-US airlines making partnerships with those US airlines?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
But how much do you blame on US airlines and how much do you blame non-US airlines making partnerships with those US airlines?
Airlines control their mileage currency and they determine how much they are willing to sell to the partners. Hard for them to turn down easy cold hard cash, which is understandable. They should charge like 2-3 cents per mile. The blame is squarely on the airlines.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Took my first flight in Emirates FC. Yes it's everything they say and more. Flew 777ER from SFO-DXB then into MLE.

The DXB airport is very impressive. We had an 8 hr layover in DXB before our 03:25AM departure to Male, Maldives. When we checked in at SFO I asked about 'Dubai Connect' where Emirates offers a hotel at no charge. Since I didn't know how we would feel once we arrived, plus it's a way to see some of the city. I was told to talk to agent in SFO Emirates lounge. She looked over my ticked and said since it was issued by Alaska it didn't qualify for Dubai Connect. Not sue if award tix and excluded or just Alaska issued. This wasn't a big deal, we just hung out in the impressive Emirates First Class lounge, took a nap in there.

The DXB lounge is awesome, all kinds of food. Free 15 min massage, free shoe shine, I tipped $10 for each. The entire first class lounge is full service. It's great and very over staffed. Probably the best place in the world if you have a long layover or excessive flight delays.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:50 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BarryL
Took my first flight in Emirates FC. Yes it's everything they say and more. Flew 777ER from SFO-DXB then into MLE.
She looked over my ticked and said since it was issued by Alaska it didn't qualify for Dubai Connect. Not sue if award tix and excluded or just Alaska issued. This wasn't a big deal, we just hung out in the impressive Emirates First Class lounge, took a nap in there.
As I understand it, the ticket MUST be on EK stock. Meaning your travel agent must book on EK Ticket #s, or you use EK.com or EK Awards.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire

The DXB airport is very impressive. We had an 8 hr layover in DXB before our 03:25AM departure to Male, Maldives. When we checked in at SFO I asked about 'Dubai Connect' where Emirates offers a hotel at no charge. Since I didn't know how we would feel once we arrived, plus it's a way to see some of the city. I was told to talk to agent in SFO Emirates lounge. She looked over my ticked and said since it was issued by Alaska it didn't qualify for Dubai Connect. Not sue if award tix and excluded or just Alaska issued. This wasn't a big deal, we just hung out in the impressive Emirates First Class lounge, took a nap in there.

The DXB lounge is awesome, all kinds of food. Free 15 min massage, free shoe shine, I tipped $10 for each. The entire first class lounge is full service. It's great and very over staffed. Probably the best place in the world if you have a long layover or excessive flight delays.
You didn't want to take the EK Chauffeur-drive Mercedes into the city?
Old May 7, 2013, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold

Ahahah you don't tip...
Old May 16, 2013, 9:41 am

Smile EK Award Booking Experience

Hey there -

Here's my EK award travel booking experience (so far).

My family and I (2 kids, + wife and I) decided to plan a 40+ day long trip to Dubai, Singapore, Krabi and Bali this summer. We got the idea at the beginning of May, with a planned departure date of mid June. As you may have guessed, when I checked for EK availability (2 First & 2 Business) for SEA>DXB (stopover)SIN>DXB>SEA there was absolutely nothing available 6 weeks out. So, how did I prepare? I subscribed to Expert Flyer, which is a great tool to query award availability on EK. My strategy in being able to plan the trip (with 4 countries and 9 hotel stays) even though I wouldn't have EK flights booked until much closer to the flight dates was to build in buffer zones. In other words, the first week and last week of the trip are buffers - I've not booked hotels for those periods yet until I confirm my EK flights. However, I did book the middle section of the trip, with the expectation that I'll get flights in my buffer zones.

With much research at rolling short term Z (first class awards space) and D (business award space) in Expert Flyer, I was able to feel confident that using the buffer strategy would give me the necessary flexibility to obtain the seats we need. I utilized Expert Flyer's flight alert, which sends me an email when the space I need becomes available.

Well, I was at my son's little league game when the email came in (which happens to be 4 weeks out). As soon as I got home, I called the partner award desk and started booking. There is a downside to this strategy with EK. I discovered that EK is the only partner that limits total trip time to 90 days. Why will this result in more costs? I had originally planned to book my SEA>DXB and DXB>SIN sectors, then pick a return far out in the future as a placeholder. However, there is no availability in any class (including the N economy award bucket) between my actual return date (late July) and 90 days out (mid august). Moreover, I need to book a return flight before I depart Seattle, else EK will close the itinerary assuming it to be a one-way itinerary. What does this mean? Multiple itinerary changes (at $400 a pop - $100 per person).

A day before we leave Seattle for Dubai, I'll find any availability on the SIN>DXB>SEA routing as far out as possible (I'm hoping to finding something 2-3 weeks out at that time). This will keep the integrity of the roundtrip itinerary. That will cost me $400 (it's considered a change even though I've not even booked the return yet). Then, when that return date approaches, I'll need to call and make another change, hopefully being able to grab any space on the SIN>DXB>SEA sectors during my buffer zone (that's another $400). I don't care if it's N space - I can always upgrade to D/Z as space opens up closer to the departure date without paying any additional fees (as long as I don't change the flights).

As for Chauffeur drive, each first class passenger is entitled to a car, so I booked 2 to accommodate all 4 of us and our lots of luggage. We'll get a car in Seattle, at our stopover in Dubai, and in Singapore as well.

I currently have flight alerts set for DXB>SIN (I currently have us booked in 4 D seats on the 1 stop all business flight) on the 380 for Z&D (I want to try that shower!).

When at DXB, I still need to try and persuade the first class lounge attendants to allow my two children (travelling in business) into the lounge so we can be together. If not, no big deal, we can all hang out in the business lounge, or simply take turns two at a time to go to the First lounge.

I'll add updates as I book additional sectors. I decided to post this because I know how little information there is out there on award booking experiences. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions!

<EDIT - 5/16>

Good news! I was able to get space back to Seattle (SIN>DXB>IAH>SEA) in September, and was able to make the change before the 24 hour free change period had expired. Whew. This saves me at least $400 in change fees.

Last edited by Tall Travel Dude; May 16, 2013 at 3:57 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by Tall Travel Dude
Hey there -

Here's my EK award travel booking experience (so far).

My family and I (2 kids, + wife and I) decided to plan a 40+ day long trip to Dubai, Singapore, Krabi and Bali this summer. We got the idea at the beginning of May, with a planned departure date of mid June. As you may have guessed, when I checked for EK availability (2 First & 2 Business) for SEA>DXB (stopover)SIN>DXB>SEA there was absolutely nothing available 6 weeks out. So, how did I prepare? I subscribed to Expert Flyer, which is a great tool to query award availability on EK. My strategy in being able to plan the trip (with 4 countries and 9 hotel stays) even though I wouldn't have EK flights booked until much closer to the flight dates was to build in buffer zones. In other words, the first week and last week of the trip are buffers - I've not booked hotels for those periods yet until I confirm my EK flights. However, I did book the middle section of the trip, with the expectation that I'll get flights in my buffer zones.

With much research at rolling short term Z (first class awards space) and D (business award space) in Expert Flyer, I was able to feel confident that using the buffer strategy would give me the necessary flexibility to obtain the seats we need. I utilized Expert Flyer's flight alert, which sends me an email when the space I need becomes available.

Well, I was at my son's little league game when the email came in (which happens to be 4 weeks out). As soon as I got home, I called the partner award desk and started booking. There is a downside to this strategy with EK. I discovered that EK is the only partner that limits total trip time to 90 days. Why will this result in more costs? I had originally planned to book my SEA>DXB and DXB>SIN sectors, then pick a return far out in the future as a placeholder. However, there is no availability in any class (including the N economy award bucket) between my actual return date (late July) and 90 days out (mid august). Moreover, I need to book a return flight before I depart Seattle, else EK will close the itinerary assuming it to be a one-way itinerary. What does this mean? Multiple itinerary changes (at $400 a pop - $100 per person).

A day before we leave Seattle for Dubai, I'll find any availability on the SIN>DXB>SEA routing as far out as possible (I'm hoping to finding something 2-3 weeks out at that time). This will keep the integrity of the roundtrip itinerary. That will cost me $400 (it's considered a change even though I've not even booked the return yet). Then, when that return date approaches, I'll need to call and make another change, hopefully being able to grab any space on the SIN>DXB>SEA sectors during my buffer zone (that's another $400). I don't care if it's N space - I can always upgrade to D/Z as space opens up closer to the departure date without paying any additional fees (as long as I don't change the flights).

As for Chauffeur drive, each first class passenger is entitled to a car, so I booked 2 to accommodate all 4 of us and our lots of luggage. We'll get a car in Seattle, at our stopover in Dubai, and in Singapore as well.

I currently have flight alerts set for DXB>SIN (I currently have us booked in 4 D seats on the 1 stop all business flight) on the 380 for Z&D (I want to try that shower!).

When at DXB, I still need to try and persuade the first class lounge attendants to allow my two children (travelling in business) into the lounge so we can be together. If not, no big deal, we can all hang out in the business lounge, or simply take turns two at a time to go to the First lounge.

I'll add updates as I book additional sectors. I decided to post this because I know how little information there is out there on award booking experiences. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions!
If you don't find any availability before you leave SEA will you have to cancel the entire trip or can you buy the return leg?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulley
If you don't find any availability before you leave SEA will you have to cancel the entire trip or can you buy the return leg?
Good question; however, I believe the question will be moot, since in the absolute worst case, I can split up the reservation and fly on two separate days. That said, I think there will be some space needed to avoid this worst case scenario.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Just spoke with AS Partner Desk. No updates/changes to EK/CX OneWay Award bookings. "I haven't heard any mention of upcoming changes"
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Anyone know if Cairo is considered Middle East or Africa for EK award bookings?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by uva185
Anyone know if Cairo is considered Middle East or Africa for EK award bookings?
Africa.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:14 pm

So, this is the first time I have actually started doing queries for a trip to BKK/SIN/HKG or ICN/NRT on EK in Sept since EK "reworked" Z availability...

I was able to find some dates that works departing the US [DXB-Asia-DXB is pretty easy so no worries there]. Ok, now for the return... Virtually nothing... This is how EK squeezes us out, absolutely nothing available in F for the first weekend of Sept coming back to the US. Heck doing a bunch of random searches for June/July, very very very few options.

This partnership is turning out to be a joke.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
So, this is the first time I have actually started doing queries for a trip to BKK/SIN/HKG or ICN/NRT on EK in Sept since EK "reworked" Z availability...

I was able to find some dates that works departing the US [DXB-Asia-DXB is pretty easy so no worries there]. Ok, now for the return... Virtually nothing... This is how EK squeezes us out, absolutely nothing available in F for the first weekend of Sept coming back to the US. Heck doing a bunch of random searches for June/July, very very very few options.

This partnership is turning out to be a joke.
If you watch rolling availability, there are options about 7-10 days out. I wasn't able to book my return in July (SIN>DXB>SEA) so I was able to find space SIN>DXB>IAH>SEA (with the agents finding me space in coach on the AS segment though the flight showed zero award space) in September. As I get closer to my return time, I'll closely monitor availability then snatch up what I can (I need 2Z and 2D). The real drag is that you can only have an itinerary no longer than 90 days, so you can't just go out to next year to book a 'dummy' return. I have buffer days built in to the end of my trip (3-4 days) to allow me maximum flexibility in finding space on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.