Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree with smilee. Except for close in (T-30 days), EK First inventory has virtually disappeared.

Just spent the last 1/2 hour searching the balance of the year, from SEA/SFO/IAH-DXB and back and we are talking slim pickings from mid-May forward. Most of the balance of the year from mid-May shows nothing. Within 30 days, there are a few seats, mostly Z1 a few Z2 Inside 14 days, lots more Z2.

Not exactly helpful for long range planning.
Out of JFK, i have been looking at november and Z has majorly increased but only on the 777W I cant find the A380 now. Z2 on almost every flight October - March

*Edit*

The flight with a lot of space is the new one that stops in Milan

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
Out of JFK, i have been looking at november and Z has majorly increased but only on the 777W I cant find the A380 now. Z2 on almost every flight October - March
I'm seeing that as well. It says 1 stop. Just checked and those avails are all the JFK-MXP-DXB flight. Avails both directions most dates I checked late December, early January. JFK-MXP-JFK is also available, Z2 most days, but per an AS agent I spoke with, AS cannot book MXP at this point.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but per an AS agent I spoke with, AS cannot book MXP at this point.
MXP as a destination or the flight via MXP? If so, i have to fly Y BOS-SEA ( the odds of saver F are slim to none) If they even will allow backtracking
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
MXP as a destination or the flight via MXP? If so, i have to fly Y BOS-SEA ( the odds of saver F are slim to none) If they even will allow backtracking
As a destination. Can't book JFK-MXP but (presumably) you can book JFK-DXB on the JFK-MXP-DXB thru flight.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a destination. Can't book JFK-MXP but (presumably) you can book JFK-DXB on the JFK-MXP-DXB thru flight.
Thats good. There isn't a Europe tier for EK so it makes sense MXP cant be final destination.

So EK is becoming the LH of the AS partners, I should have booked one of those EK revenue trips ex CMB when i still had the chance.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
So if you are planning trips beyond 14 days you'll have to book an economy return and hope availability opens up? Man I wish we could mix awards to help with this issue.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdf1223
So if you are planning trips beyond 14 days you'll have to book an economy return and hope availability opens up? Man I wish we could mix awards to help with this issue.
Yeah, hope and pray. The (current) lack of OW awards is not helping. But, EK pulling all LT Saver avails has really marginalized the value of this partnership. Hopefully, things improve or this will be just another T-14 LH scramble.

In the interim, I've given up on EK awards and I've gone to booking alternatives where there is still long-term availability.
Booked Etihad First JFK-AUH-MLE for December using AA miles... 180K RT per person.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Yeah, hope and pray. The (current) lack of OW awards is not helping. But, EK pulling all LT Saver avails has really marginalized the value of this partnership. Hopefully, things improve or this will be just another T-14 LH scramble.

In the interim, I've given up on EK awards and I've gone to booking alternatives where there is still long-term availability.
Booked Etihad First JFK-AUH-MLE for December using AA miles... 180K RT per person.
Yeah given how the situation improved on the EY end, I'm hoping this is just EK temporarily figuring what to do since it added two partners(QF/AS) with a lot of miles in such a short time.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the JFK-MXP-DXB Z availability seems to have dramatically dropped off. Id really like to fly EK, so i guess i just need to find a random day and just go for the heck of it.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More EK award bull-crap.

A few months ago, I booked two IAH-DXB-IAH EK First tickets for this fall, before EK pulled most NA-DXB T+14 First inventory. Tonight I received an EF alert advising that DXB-JNB First (Z) seats were now available on the date we were planning to travel to JNB. I called the AS partner desk to add this segment, but was told that EK won't let them just add a segment. They first have to cancel our IAH-DXB seats, hope our two seats go back into Z inventory, and then we can try to rebook IAH-DXB-JNB. Since EK has pulled most xUS Z inventory, odds that our two seats will go back into Z inventory are slim and none. I can't even book a separate EK DXB-JNB ticket as AS is unable to book any awards the don't start or end in the US.

We'll see who has the last laugh on this one as I now have a US-AUH-JNB reservation for the same dates on EY and in First & Biz.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 27, 2013 at 12:30 am
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
More EK award bull-crap.

A few months ago, I booked two IAH-DXB-IAH EK First tickets for next fall, before EK pulled all NA-DXB T+14 inventory. Tonight I received an EF alert advising that DXB-JBN Z seats were now available on the date we were planning to travel to JNB. I called the partner desk to add this segment, but was told that EK won't let them just add a segment. They first have to cancel our IAH-DXB seats, hope our two seats go back into Z inventory, and then we can book IAH-DXB-JNB. Since EK has pulled all xUS Z inventory, odds that our two seats will go back into Z inventory are slim and none. I can't even book a separate EK DXB-JNB ticket as AS is unable to book any awards the don't start or end in the US.

We'll see who has the last laugh on this one as I now have a back-up US-AUH-JNB reservation for the same dates on EY and in First.
Damn that really sucks. Partner desk told me EK was the only airline who required 'married segments' for each way of your journey.

How did you find out all N America - DXB Z inventory was pulled? Partner desk?

Just checking some random dates of SEA-DXB, in the past I could always find Z2, don't see much until Sept 2013... And it's always Z1. A lot of days don't even have N. Not good.

Last edited by BarryL; Apr 27, 2013 at 12:32 am
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarryL
Damn that really sucks. Partner desk told me EK was the only airline who required 'married segments' for each way of your journey.
How did you find out all N America - DXB Z inventory was pulled? Partner desk?
Hours of searching EF.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:08 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
More EK award bull-crap.

A few months ago, I booked two IAH-DXB-IAH EK First tickets for this fall, before EK pulled most NA-DXB T+14 First inventory. Tonight I received an EF alert advising that DXB-JNB First (Z) seats were now available on the date we were planning to travel to JNB. I called the AS partner desk to add this segment, but was told that EK won't let them just add a segment. They first have to cancel our IAH-DXB seats, hope our two seats go back into Z inventory, and then we can try to rebook IAH-DXB-JNB. Since EK has pulled most xUS Z inventory, odds that our two seats will go back into Z inventory are slim and none. I can't even book a separate EK DXB-JNB ticket as AS is unable to book any awards the don't start or end in the US.

We'll see who has the last laugh on this one as I now have a US-AUH-JNB reservation for the same dates on EY and in First & Biz.
Truly unbelievable. So to book an ex-US award to some place other than Dubai, all 4(!) segments must be available at once. This makes EK almost totally unviable for any trip booked in advance.

Thanks for the heads-up. This EK thing is turning out to be much more sour than I thought.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by baliktad
Truly unbelievable. So to book an ex-US award to some place other than Dubai, all 4(!) segments must be available at once. This makes EK almost totally unviable for any trip booked in advance.

Thanks for the heads-up. This EK thing is turning out to be much more sour than I thought.
Hence why I just finished booking CX F to JNB instead of EK...
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFore
Hence why I just finished booking CX F to JNB instead of EK...
Yeah, tried that one but could only get one way. Plus as great as CX First is, I'm a little bored with it. I know, I know... serious 1st world problem. Anyway, looking forward to Etihad First and the personal on board chef.

Thanks AS. Way to negotiate a now virtually useless EK partnership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.