Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:26 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

For Asia, I have noticed BKK, SIN, and HKG along with some chinese destinations are pieces of cake, but NRT, KIX and ICN are tough. MNL is almost impossible despite there being 3X daily flights.

Who the heck fills up the F cabin daily to MNL?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by SFO777
I realize that this might sound strange (jaded, spoiled, fill in the blank) but personally I'm a little tired of CX First, and booked EK for a change of pace, not to mention amazing (as in any day) F award availability between the US to DXB

Yeah, CX is great as long as you don't get a NA-based (SFO/YVR) crew. And the CX suite is nicer than EK, but... HKG-JNB lands at 6:25AM. EK has three daily flights from DXB with two arriving at "normal" times.

EK offers limo service and hotel in DXB for long connections. And the new EK First Class lounge in a mind blower. Puts the Wing and/or Pier to shame.
But with no DXB-JNB J availability, it's a deal breaker. Landing at 6:25 am is okay since we are connecting to Port Elizabeth. My wife and I are going CX F for the fist time to DPS in Oct and are very excited, but was also looking forward to trying out EK directly from SEA.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:44 pm

Exclamation

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/03/25/e...fter-march-31/

EK putting YQ on award tickets. Is it going to get passed on?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by yerffej201
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/03/25/e...fter-march-31/

EK putting YQ on award tickets. Is it going to get passed on?
Sigh the slide continues.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sigh the slide continues.
I hope not. I think its time to book one just in case. Worst case I lose $25 if i cant go with whatever dates i pick

*Edit*

Just my luck i can find pretty good availability to DXB from JFK but none gong back. I guess i may have to look for open jaw which means no stop over in DXB or i have to go no further than DXB. I'm looking at November 2013. I mean i'm already paying 180K id rather add on extra 20K to head to Asia

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 25, 2013 at 8:34 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Is Alaska still finding the same "Z" fare availability?

Is Alaska still finding the same "Z" fare availability for first class awards? I was using expertflyer and found tons of availability on Emirates (EK) for "Z" So I called up Mileage plan partner to book using my Alaska miles, and for the outbound no problem, but the return nothing? HMM I thought, OK lets try some different days, and the agent kept coming back saying NO. This time I had expertflyer up at the same time and it clearly had "Z" on all of the days I mentioned.

Is this just an Alaska "agent" hang up and call right back issue. or is there NOT a direct correlation between what Expertflyer sees as available in "Z" and what Alaska sees as available?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smilee
Is Alaska still finding the same "Z" fare availability for first class awards? I was using expertflyer and found tons of availability on Emirates (EK) for "Z" So I called up Mileage plan partner to book using my Alaska miles, and for the outbound no problem, but the return nothing? HMM I thought, OK lets try some different days, and the agent kept coming back saying NO. This time I had expertflyer up at the same time and it clearly had "Z" on all of the days I mentioned.
Is this just an Alaska "agent" hang up and call right back issue. or is there NOT a direct correlation between what Expertflyer sees as available in "Z" and what Alaska sees as available?
Apparently not. I had a slightly different issue twice this past weekend trying to book SEA-DXB-SEA in December. EF showed Z2 and both AS agents saw Z2. But when they went to reserve the seats, both times the agents received a "not available" on one of the flights. One agent even called EK, which confirmed "not available". Hope this is not the beginning of the same phantom LH First inventory problem at UA/AC.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 26, 2013 at 11:36 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: AS MVP
It's irritating, first off they cost more miles than other partners ( I mean is EK J in a 2-2-2 seating better than CX F?), and second, erratic availability. Now increase YQ costs...not panning out like I had hoped..
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by SFore
Now increase YQ costs...
Who said AS will charge YQ on EK redemptions? AF/KL charges YQ for their members, but AS does not pass on the cost to us. They very much might do the same for EK awards. There are unique agreements in place between airlines and the YQ airlines pay, I believe, is not the same as what is advertised.

BA was unique and they pretty much forced AS to collect the surcharge from us, which is a total pathetic money grab on BA's part.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Who said AS will charge YQ on EK redemptions? AF/KL charges YQ for their members, but AS does not pass on the cost to us. They very much might do the same for EK awards. There are unique agreements in place between airlines and the YQ airlines pay, I believe, is not the same as what is advertised.

BA was unique and they pretty much forced AS to collect the surcharge from us, which is a total pathetic money grab on BA's part.

Alaska was able to hold off on the surcharge for almost two years after BA jacked the fuel surcharges up. Apparently their agreement had to be renewed and when it was, BA insisted AS collect the surcharge.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I heard back on a question I posed on facebook. The response stated the following:

Just heard back from our team... We haven't been approached by Emirates to incorporate their impending fuel surcharge and don't have any plans of adding them for new partners

Last edited by CDKing; Mar 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reason: Correcting quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by CDKing
I heard back on a question I posed on facebook. The response stated the following:

We not been approached by Emirates to incorporate their impending fuel surcharge and doesnt have any plans of adding them for new partners
Good to hear ^
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Good to hear ^
I'd be a little slower to be happy as it says EK has not approached AS yet. Since EK has not implemented it yet, I think one should wait.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by smilee

I checked a bunch of dates with Z class listed on ExpertFlyer, when I called AS partner desk they had same availability.

What's your routing? Just to DXB? Or connecting further?

On a side note, I learned something new about Emirates redemptions today. Its called 'married segments' according to the partner desk.

Here's my scenario. Flying SEA-SFO-DXB-MLE, returning MLE-DXB-SEA.

When I booked my flight, there was Z class avail all the way on my outbound. The return had MLE-DXB only avail in N (economy) and DXB-SEA was avail in Z (First). So I was booked 3/4 EK segments in Z.

Today MLE-DXB had Z2, so I figured great, upgrade that last segment, all done EK First.....

But because my DXB-SEA had now gone to Z0 I could not change MLE-DXB to F.

I was told EK has 'married segments' meaning if I want to change MLE-DXB, I would have to re-ticket my DXB-SEA segment too. My DXB-SEA segment shows N0 D0 Z0 as of right now. In other words I need MLE-DXB to have Z2, and DXB-SEA at Z2 to change this.

The agent told me there's a chance if they re-book it, I will lose my DXB-SEA seat until they're released.

Apparently they're the only partner that operates this way.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Married Segments?

My flights were SEA-DXB-SIN

I was wondering about the married segments. If I search with Expertflyer, and I put in SEA-DXB on EK, no problem, 2's on many dates. As well DXB-SIN same thing. However if I do SEA-SIN on EK, I get no availability. I had originally presumed that it was an issue with a 8 hour or something before a flight the next day 3am flight onto SIN.

I was not able to phone today so I still have not ruled out "Agent" error. I am sure hoping this is not some phantom availability issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.