Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change fees for flights within the state of CA

Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club

I read somewhere that there are no change fees on flights as long as they are within the same state. I plan on flying a lot between Lax and SJC, but may miss some flights.. Does anyone know if this is correct?

thanks
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've never heard that before. If I were going to be flying SJC-LAX a lot (and I used to), I wouldn't be flying Horizon. I'd be flying Southwest. Their 10 flights a day to LAX, plus others to SNA, BUR and ONT really beat the 3 that Horizon runs. If you miss the 930a flight on QX, you're going to sit around SJC until 7p.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
as far as i know, change fees only waived if flights wholly within state of Alaska.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Here's the web page that contains info on change fees with AS. In pertinent part (over and above F and Y tickets being exempt):

Alaska Airlines standard change fees are $100 (USD) per person fee if change made through an Alaska Airlines Reservations Call Center or $75 (USD) per person fee if change made at alaskaair.com. Change fee is waived when travel is wholly within the state of Alaska on flights operated by Alaska Airlines.

I was heretofore unaware of the intra-Alaska benefit.

Change fees are also waived for MVPG and MVPG75K elites.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond
Slightly off topic but when will they ever waive the $75.00 change fees for MVP's?! Or at least reduce the price.

Just doesn't seem right as it the same price for the regular customer. I've spent God knows how much $$ through the years on these fees! Sigh.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mark diver
Slightly off topic but when will they ever waive the $75.00 change fees for MVP's?! Or at least reduce the price.

Just doesn't seem right as it the same price for the regular customer. I've spent God knows how much $$ through the years on these fees! Sigh.
If they start waiving it for low-level elites, that really means no differentiation between full fare (refundable/changeable) and discounted fares, who in their right mind will purchase the full fares?

One thing to take that hit for people with substantial travel. Perhaps if they made it available for $ spend above a significant level?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 3:57 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mark diver

Be glad it's only $75 (half of what most of the competition charges) and that there is a possibility to earn a waiver at all at any level. I'm not aware of any other domestic airline that waives change fees for elites, so I wouldn't expect AS to ever expand the benefit to lower-tier elites. If anything they'll remove the benefit for Golds.

WN of course has no change fees to begin with, but you also have to give up First Class, flights to AK/HI, and an awards program with aspirational international premium cabin awards.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by dave1013
Here's the web page that contains info on change fees with AS. In pertinent part (over and above F and Y tickets being exempt):

Alaska Airlines standard change fees are $100 (USD) per person fee if change made through an Alaska Airlines Reservations Call Center or $75 (USD) per person fee if change made at alaskaair.com. Change fee is waived when travel is wholly within the state of Alaska on flights operated by Alaska Airlines.

I was heretofore unaware of the intra-Alaska benefit.

Change fees are also waived for MVPG and MVPG75K elites.
I actually forgot about this change- it was announced a year or two ago. Kinda takes the pain of the expensive intra-AK flights away.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
The change fee must be waived for intra-Alaska award flights too, right? I'm gold but when trying to change an award flight that I didn't book, it tried charging that fee...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.