Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Looks like it was just about trying out things on the website rather than booking them all (which makes sense if you're considering your options). Given that, I'm assuming there was no CX screenshot just because it's not bookable on the website to check these things out.
So cannot take the post as truth. Ticketing can fail. If its not ticketed there is no way to confirm its valid. Front line staff are wrong all the time so this could be no different.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:22 am

Are segments on AS CX awards married together? That is, if I book A-B-C, and decide to change A-B, do they have to cancel and rebook B-C as well?
Old May 30, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
Are segments on AS CX awards married together? That is, if I book A-B-C, and decide to change A-B, do they have to cancel and rebook B-C as well?
Not to my knowledge. I think EK is the only one that has that requirement.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix
I had SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK-CMB booked and they were able to remove the BKK-CMB section seemingly without having to do anything about the earlier sections.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I'm trying to book a one way intra-Asia award on CX HND-HKG in late November in Y. Supposed to be 15,000 MP miles. Availability appears on BA for both Economy and Premium Economy, but the Alaska agent cannot find them. What's wrong?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Sometimes BA shows phantom availability. Check JAL website. Whenever checking CX you need to check both JL and BA website. If JL shows none available then there really is nothing available.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by KL808
Sometimes BA shows phantom availability. Check JAL website. Whenever checking CX you need to check both JL and BA website. If JL shows none available then there really is nothing available.
JL's website also shows availability for the same flights.

EDIT: I called back and they had the availability after all! Apparently the agent just needs to follow a different protocol for CX awards than what they do for other airlines to get it to show up.

Even managed to get Premium Economy!

Last edited by FireEmblemPride; Sep 2, 2014 at 6:56 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Im looking for CX flights HKG/CDG/HKG in J&F, can see them on Qantas site I guess that is a good indicator?.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Limewood
Im looking for CX flights HKG/CDG/HKG in J&F, can see them on Qantas site I guess that is a good indicator?.
Should be (though I have used only BA's site for finding flights to book).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
JL's website also shows availability for the same flights.

EDIT: I called back and they had the availability after all! Apparently the agent just needs to follow a different protocol for CX awards than what they do for other airlines to get it to show up.

Even managed to get Premium Economy!
Yep you got a bad agent. LAN and CX still require the old way of booking. Every other partner is on the same web tool we use to book our own awards. This is what happens when partner award booking moves to regular reservations reps vs the dedicated partner award desk we used to speak with
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Should be (though I have used only BA's site for finding flights to book).
Just about every time I do that I see no CX flights but BA flights via LHR and I do not wish to go via the latter.

When I try JAL for CX award flights its painfully slow.

As QF & CX are not all that helpful to one another I think if I see them there (on QF) its probably true.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:14 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Any reason not to check CX availability on their own site, versus going to JAL?

Or is that a case of them providing better availability to their own program members than to partners?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Savvy Traveler
Any reason not to check CX availability on their own site, versus going to JAL?

Or is that a case of them providing better availability to their own program members than to partners?
I personally would never use the partners own site to see availability. Unless it's DL or AA where we have access to all the saver seats. To much chance of a false positive although some seem to say asiamiles site is somewhat reliable. I personally like ba site because its always been right for me
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:23 pm

I see CX chart on AS says HKG to Europe, so this means to any ports they fly to like FCO, MIL and CDG?.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Limewood
I see CX chart on AS says HKG to Europe, so this means to any ports they fly to like FCO, MIL and CDG?.
Sounds correct to me, though I haven't booked one myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.