Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Old May 2, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com:

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If its not on the award chart its not allowed.
  • No stopover on intra-regional awards, example Asia to Asia.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS website can be misleading about this.
  • Otherwise open jaw or stopover allowed on each round trip award.
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. Build open jaw and other advance routing by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR.
  • No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Eastern
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Cathay Pacific ticket using Alaska miles

Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:12 pm

Are Male (Maldives) and Colombo (Srilanka) considered asia or middle-east for Alaska-Cathay awards. I didn't find it in their charts online.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by nomii
Are Male (Maldives) and Colombo (Srilanka) considered asia or middle-east for Alaska-Cathay awards. I didn't find it in their charts online.
for EK Its middle east, not sure about CX
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by nomii
I believe it is considered Middle East (which I believe is he same cost for F but different for J)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Is there any max segment rule and/or back tracking rule with CX intra Asia? For example would this be allowed as a one-way redemption?

Tpe-nrt (17 hours stopover) - hkg (20 hours stopover) - kix (or icn)?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:05 am

Maldives is consider Asia and CMB is consider as ME. This is according to Lucky.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by angelboi2001
Maldives is consider Asia and CMB is consider as ME. This is according to Lucky.
That makes literally no sense. The Maldives are WEST of Sri Lanka and considerably closer to the Arabian Peninsula.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
And in OneWorld CMB is Asia and MLE is ME.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by whimike
Quote:

And in OneWorld CMB is Asia and MLE is ME.
I guess that's why we should always diversify our miles.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:11 am

With Dragon Air being rebranded as Cathay Dragon, I wonder if it will be possible to book awards on Cathay Dragon with Alaska miles.....
Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
With Dragon Air being rebranded as Cathay Dragon, I wonder if it will be possible to book awards on Cathay Dragon with Alaska miles.....
Originally Posted by CDKing
We will know when you know. As seen from the US+AA thing there was no real information here before it was public. I don't think there will be a change unless the KA code disappears.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The consensus on the CX forum is that it won't, as it gives CX some leverage to have (in effect) two carriers that can serve a city instead of one when it comes to destinations like India.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
To be clear, they are not eliminating KA as a carrier and turning all the flights into CX flights, they are changing the name. I don't see how that changes anything. The AS relationship is with CX, not KA.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To be clear, they are not eliminating KA as a carrier and turning all the flights into CX flights, they are changing the name. I don't see how that changes anything. The AS relationship is with CX, not KA.

To be clear, KA and CX seem to be rebranding to more closely align the two airlines and in no way did I suggest that KA was being eliminated as a carrier. This closer alignment logically leads to the question of whether or not a closer KA-CX alignment might lead to a partnership between KA and AS. Not so much of a stretch to pose the question......
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:02 pm

anyone see availability in first from the US-HKG (any airport) between 12/17-12/19?

Also how easy is it to upgrade to F from J as the dates get closer?

Last edited by VeryHumerus; Jan 29, 2016 at 6:53 pm
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
KVS Availability

If I find CX seats ex-USA on KVS does that mean AS has them available to book?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:59 pm

Quick question on upgrading J to F on CX with AS miles (I've gotten conflicting information from reps and can't find anything in the thread). Now that AA's devaluation is coming quick, I'm trying to figure out a way to get into F on CX in May. The itinerary booked right now is as follows:
Code:
ORD-HKG (2 seats in J for 50k AS miles/person)
HKG-DPS (2 seats in Y on the same ticket since no J is available)
Knowing that F seats open up shortly before the flight, we're hoping to pay the difference in miles (20k/person extra). Within 60 days, there's supposed to be a change fee, but if it's the same flight I've been told there is no fee for upgrading the HKG-DPS leg from Y to J as we've already paid the J rate for the whole itinerary.

For J to F, it seems like it might incur a change in cost. Does anyone know what will happen if 2 F seats open up 1 week before the flight from ORD-HKG and we try to pay the difference in miles to go from J to F? Thanks for any information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.