FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   What's up with award space JFK-KEF on Icelandair? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1375702-whats-up-award-space-jfk-kef-icelandair.html)

gq_dq Aug 9, 2012 5:47 pm

What's up with award space JFK-KEF on Icelandair?

Using AS miles, I was trying to book out in July 2013 and only the afternoon flights are available everyday (no redeyes are open) and no returns are loaded. Can't book an award if they don't let you get back! And unfortunately if I fly out on FI, I must return on FI as they don't allow all-partner awards like others so there's no way to get back... AND a one-way cannot be booked!

Where can I see FI award availability?

3Cforme Aug 9, 2012 6:13 pm

Is your prospective return more than 330 days away? Many carriers use that as a forward booking limit.

gq_dq Aug 9, 2012 7:12 pm

Icelandair has not opened any returning flights KEF-JFK for July. Only the afternoon JFK-KEF is available on the outbound, but all the redeyes are unavailable.

3Cforme Aug 9, 2012 7:16 pm

There's Delta space in Business (low award band, redeemable with AS miles) in both directions for late June/early July.

gq_dq Sep 3, 2012 7:11 pm

Any updates to FI award availability? I had to let the one-way I had booked expire because they could not find a single return so tomorrow I will have to start from scratch.

Donna49 Sep 3, 2012 9:35 pm

In checking award availability on EF, it looks like every day in July has availability.

An award in business books into Z, and there are 2 Z seats open every date I checked on the red eye, and 4 on the afternoon flight. There are 4 open for the return on both the morning and afternoon flights.

You should be able to book what you are looking for, as EF does show availability.

Icelandair just pulled their agreement for booking on AS with FI points; it will come back, but with different redemption rates. An F ticket on AS for 30K Icelandair points was a real steal, too good to last.

Perhaps the rates for redemption on FI with AS miles is under review now, causing delays in booking what you want.

http://www.onlinetravelreview.com/20...t-8pm-eastern/

gq_dq Sep 3, 2012 9:58 pm

Kind thanks Donna. I am actually looking for Coach. I am in Fiji right now (that's why I couldn't call before my rez expired) so I will call the moment I land in Honolulu later this morning. I assume coach should also be open?

AKSteveB Sep 4, 2012 12:56 am

Availability on any given city pair on FI seems to be all or nothing. I've noticed on ANC-KEF and SEA-KEF as an example ..one day there will be 4 seats open (which seems to be FI'S max) for months at a time ..the next day ..everything will be 0 across the schedule. FI's ff program is kinda pathetic, and AS is their first partner ..so I don't think their Revenue Management has much experience with this yet.

Altaflyer Sep 7, 2012 3:10 pm

Availability is truly pathetic. AS claims new ANC flights cannot be booked with AS miles but I think someone did book this route. Is the agent mistaken?

beckoa Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 19273111)
Availability is truly pathetic. AS claims new ANC flights cannot be booked with AS miles but I think someone did book this route. Is the agent mistaken?

At 7 hours I was considering a quick trip (after all it's faster than connecting to the East Coast).

However... there is no availability on the twice weekly nonstop ANC-KEF. I searched daily with Expert Flyer and found zero Z class (saga award) :(

StevenSeagalFan Mar 29, 2013 1:15 am

Alaska Air has ended their mileage plan partnership with Icelandair.

beckoa Mar 29, 2013 1:31 am

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan (Post 20501632)
Alaska Air has ended their mileage plan partnership with Icelandair.

In the process of terminating:

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Effective June 1, 2013, Icelandair will no longer be a Mileage Plan™ partner. Existing award travel, and award travel booked by May 31, 2013, will be honored for travel through February 28, 2014. Award travel on Icelandair cannot be booked or changed after May 31, 2013.

More FT discussion on agreement: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...rtnership.html

alphaeagle Mar 29, 2013 11:27 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 20501599)
However... there is no availability on the twice weekly nonstop ANC-KEF. I searched daily with Expert Flyer and found zero Z class (saga award) :(

I don't suppose you noticed if there was any coach, preferably their premium coach, available?

beckoa Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle (Post 20503819)
I don't suppose you noticed if there was any coach, preferably their premium coach, available?

Didn't watch specifically for it... what does it book into?