Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
Thanks! It's strange that Alaska gives users an option that they know will fail.
So it seems like buying Main Cabin as 75K and crossing my fingers is the best way to go.
Yes, but do monitor for upgrade space (set an ExpertFlyer alert for U if you have a pro account). Since the main and GGU price are the same, you're already in a GGU-eligible fare class. If you see U become available, as I mentioned you can call in and have a GGU applied and confirm yourself without worrying about waitlists or last minute F purchases.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Yes, but do monitor for upgrade space (set an ExpertFlyer alert for U if you have a pro account). Since the main and GGU price are the same, you're already in a GGU-eligible fare class. If you see U become available, as I mentioned you can call in and have a GGU applied and confirm yourself without worrying about waitlists or last minute F purchases.
Is this necessary once the flight goes T-120, or will U space go to 75K's first before being generally available for GGUs?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Is this necessary once the flight goes T-120, or will U space go to 75K's first before being generally available for GGUs?
At T-120 (or for 72/48 for Gold/MVP), there's no need to use a GGU, and you *should* automatically clear, but occasionally the upgrade processor will fail and U will remain open. If you've not been upgraded by that point and see U available, call in and have them manually process the upgrade (complimentary - no need to use a GGU). Theoretically anyone else could use a GGU and grab the space before elites within their window are upgraded, but generally things work like they're supposed to.

Last edited by be_rettSEA; Aug 15, 2019 at 2:07 pm Reason: clarification about GGU use
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thanks! It's strange that Alaska gives users an option that they know will fail.

So it seems like buying Main Cabin as 75K and crossing my fingers is the best way to go.
If you move your mouse pointer over the radio button for "Apply an MVP Gold Guest upgrade code," the mouse pointer will change to a red circle with a diagonal line through it. It is not selectable if no U space is available.

James
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw
Yes it will fail. That screen is just asking if you want to a) be on the waitlist, b) use the GGU, or opt out.

The only benefit for going to a MVPGold filter as a 75K is moving up the fare class ladder. I wouldn't do that since you are paying more to compete against other 75Ks and that seems unnecessary nor cost effective.
The Elite filters will show the lowest "eligible" fare for that Elite (H for MVPG75K, M for MVPG, S for MVP) which is immediately upgradeable if U space is available. Personally, I would never purchase the "eligible" fare without U availability unless the lowest Main fare is already "eligible."

Since an eligible fare is moved directly to the upgrade waitlist rather than the upgrade request queue, you won't be competing with 75Ks who have purchased ineligible fares and will be moved from the request queue to the waitlist at T-120.

The GGU is an upgrade instrument that anyone can use (they can be gifted to non-elites) and allows the holder to purchase a GGU eligible fare (K class or higher) for an immediate upgrade but since you cannot waitlist a GGU, U space must be available at the time of application.

James
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
For $200 more, just buy F. Big COS bonus, guaranteed F.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by williwaw
The only benefit for going to a MVPGold filter as a 75K is mocking up the fare class ladder. I wouldn't do that since you are paying more to compete against other 75Ks and that seems unnecessary nor cost effective.
The other benefit to using the MVPG filter is to grab the lowest main cabin fare with a CoS bonus vs H which doesn't. The best use for this, imo, is with a companion fare where the discount cuts the price difference in half on a per person basis.
Flying for Fun and williwaw like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

The other benefit to using the MVPG filter is to grab the lowest main cabin fare with a CoS bonus vs H which doesn't. The best use for this, imo, is with a companion fare where the discount cuts the price difference in half on a per person basis.
That is a valid benefit. I prefer the K fare with 2 U myself on multiple segments with <= 4 hr connections. 😉 For a 75K, they could use the MVPG filter to ensure no H fares. The jump to M fare can often be substantial (depending, of course, on the cheapest fare class available on the flight) and doesn't justify the extea dollars for the 25% COS EQM/RDM bonus, despite you are only paying the differential once. On a transcon, that 25% COS bonus is about 625 EQM. I can pretty easily pick that up on a connection elsewhere like LAX-PDX-SEA-YLW instead of LAX-SEA-YLW. I would certainly look at the differential and determine how much the additional EQM/RDM is on a weighted per miles basis is though.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 15, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Good point.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:09 am

What’s the expected compensation if you lose first class upgrade, and also your original premium class seats? Happened to me just now due to plane swap without notice.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by olouie
What’s the expected compensation if you lose first class upgrade, and also your original premium class seats? Happened to me just now due to plane swap without notice.
From the contract of carriage, Rule 5:
  1. Alaska does not guarantee allocation of any particular space in the aircraft. Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Alaska reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason, including from a seat for which an additional fee has been paid, and if a Passenger is improperly or erroneously upgraded to a different class of service. If a Passenger is removed from a seat for which a fee has been paid, and the Passenger is not re-accommodated in the same class of seat or a seat of equal or greater value, or if a Passenger is downgraded from a class of service and is not re-accommodated in a seat of an equal or greater class of service for which a fee has been paid, the Passenger may be eligible for a refund in accordance with Rule 17.
In other words, call them and you will get a refund for the fare difference in classes, unless it was a comp upgrade.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I'm MVP and my traveling partner on the same itinerary has no status then what happens? They won't get upgraded to even Premium with me, right? Could I get put into Premium or first while they get left behind in the original seats--do I need to decline both upgrade lists if I want to make sure I sit with them?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by navydevildoc
From the contract of carriage, Rule 5:
  1. Alaska does not guarantee allocation of any particular space in the aircraft. Seat assignments, regardless of class of service, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Alaska reserves the right to reseat a Passenger for any reason, including from a seat for which an additional fee has been paid, and if a Passenger is improperly or erroneously upgraded to a different class of service. If a Passenger is removed from a seat for which a fee has been paid, and the Passenger is not re-accommodated in the same class of seat or a seat of equal or greater value, or if a Passenger is downgraded from a class of service and is not re-accommodated in a seat of an equal or greater class of service for which a fee has been paid, the Passenger may be eligible for a refund in accordance with Rule 17.
In other words, call them and you will get a refund for the fare difference in classes, unless it was a comp upgrade.
Sure all carriers have that legal language, but usually they will give some miles to elites since it’s a very ...... experience. Losing upgrade is one thing but then getting bumped from our original premium class seats (that were given to others on the upgrade list) and refusing to give those to us is just bad.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If I'm MVP and my traveling partner on the same itinerary has no status then what happens? They won't get upgraded to even Premium with me, right? Could I get put into Premium or first while they get left behind in the original seats--do I need to decline both upgrade lists if I want to make sure I sit with them?
From Alaska:

MVP® Gold and Gold 75K members may upgrade one companion traveling with them on the same flight, in the same reservation and in the same class of service. If a reservation includes more than one companion, it will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades. MVP® members receive upgrades for themselves only - no companions.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
When you book a ticket with 2 travelers, you won't even be put on an upgrade list for first class (or Premium I assume, it didn't exist last time I was MVP ). You won't see the "waitlisted for first class" message on your purchased ticket and you won't be on the upgrade list for first or premium. So you won't be split up by accident.

GA's made still be able to split you up if you want though.... When I was MVP I was traveling with a friend and the gate agent started selling FC seats so I went up and told them I was an MVP and hadn't been upgraded, but they were selling seats. They confirmed it was because my companion couldn't be upgraded, so I told them I'd leave him in coach I'm not sure if they officially split our ticket or just moved me... but it was like my 2nd upgrade ever so I took it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.