Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Upgrade processor is broken, and Alaska now has a new consistent, south of expected line.
While I still fly and generally admire AS (I was once on the Gold Advisory Board), the upgrade processor is a cluster. There is zero predictability or reliability in how it currently works. It's an embarrassment to the company. Perhaps now that the reservation systems have been merged with Virgin America someone will attempt to fix it.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Evidently, if you want an easy complimentary upgrade check out flying BUR to SEA on a Saturday on the 5:03pm flight, AS 589. There was no one on the upgrade list and there were 6 FC seats that were not taken. Someone without status wanted to sit in FC but without paying an upgrade fee, they did no go for it.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Behind.
The waitlist itself doesnt get resorted ... its the holding pen you sit in before the upgrade window opens that gets resorted. So MVP added to the waitlist at 48 hours will clear ahead of a Gold added at 24 hours while the upgrade processor is running.
However, the airport waitlist displays in tier order...so Gary will appear ahead of the MVP and any seats left when the gate agent takes over, will be assigned in tier order so Gary would clear first.
@missydarlin I wish AS would change this. Sometimes I buy tickets inside 5 day or make changes. I'd prefer that we clear based on status inside the waitlist period.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
@missydarlin I wish AS would change this. Sometimes I buy tickets inside 5 day or make changes. I'd prefer that we clear based on status inside the waitlist period.
I an MVP Gold on a S fare for a flight tomorrow. Already have a PE seat, 7C. Currently #9 on the waitlist of 33 people. This is the second leg of a 2 leg route SJC-SEA-IAH. Already upgraded to F on the SJC-IAH leg. I still don't understand how the waitlist that you can see on line works. There are people ahead of me with an assigned PE seat (5 of them) and there are people ahead without an assigned PE seat (3 of them). Are those people without an assigned PE seat waiting for only a PE seat or also an F seat. I have read the info multiple times and it is just too confusing. Can anyone give a synopsis in laymans terms of how this works and where I might really stand? This is when I wish fare would trump status ;-D
Old May 2, 2018, 1:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by seacarl
It's already that way if you're a 75K
beckoa and osubeavers01 like this.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Baze
I an MVP Gold on a S fare for a flight tomorrow. Already have a PE seat, 7C. Currently #9 on the waitlist of 33 people. This is the second leg of a 2 leg route SJC-SEA-IAH. Already upgraded to F on the SJC-IAH leg. I still don't understand how the waitlist that you can see on line works. There are people ahead of me with an assigned PE seat (5 of them) and there are people ahead without an assigned PE seat (3 of them). Are those people without an assigned PE seat waiting for only a PE seat or also an F seat. I have read the info multiple times and it is just too confusing. Can anyone give a synopsis in laymans terms of how this works and where I might really stand? This is when I wish fare would trump status ;-D
Not everyone chooses to accept the PC upgrade so thats why they are unassigned.

As a Gold in the #9 position on that waitlist, you are behind:
  • The 8 people listed in front of you
  • The companions (if any) of the 8 people listed in front of you
  • potentially some more Golds and 75Ks who haven't yet checked in.
  • Any MVP's listed behind who got onto the waitlist before you booked your ticket
Old May 2, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not everyone chooses to accept the PC upgrade so thats why they are unassigned.

As a Gold in the #9 position on that waitlist, you are behind:
  • The 8 people listed in front of you
  • The companions (if any) of the 8 people listed in front of you
  • potentially some more Golds and 75Ks who haven't yet checked in.
  • Any MVP's listed behind who got onto the waitlist before you booked your ticket
thank you. I think. When I got to the airport and it got within about an hour before departure looking at the board at the gate anyone who did not have a PE seat assigned was behind me on the list, including all that showed ahead of me on the app waitlist at the same time. Which list is correct? The one in the app or the one at the gate? Why can’t there be 2 separate wait lists? One for PE and 1 for F and if someone is trying for either they would just be on both lists? On other airlines when an instant up fare doesn’t clear before the gate they would still be ahead of all the non qualifying fares so a Gold on an S fare would always be ahead of a 75K on an R fare as an example. And it would be same for using a GGU a Gold using a GGU on a qualifying GGU fare would always be ahead of anyone on a non qualifying fare. All this mixing of 2 separate lists, PE and F, and a gate list that doesn’t match the app list is just too confusing.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Baze

thank you. I think. When I got to the airport and it got within about an hour before departure looking at the board at the gate anyone who did not have a PE seat assigned was behind me on the list, including all that showed ahead of me on the app waitlist at the same time. Which list is correct? The one in the app or the one at the gate? Why can’t there be 2 separate wait lists? One for PE and 1 for F and if someone is trying for either they would just be on both lists? On other airlines when an instant up fare doesn’t clear before the gate they would still be ahead of all the non qualifying fares so a Gold on an S fare would always be ahead of a 75K on an R fare as an example. And it would be same for using a GGU a Gold using a GGU on a qualifying GGU fare would always be ahead of anyone on a non qualifying fare. All this mixing of 2 separate lists, PE and F, and a gate list that doesn’t match the app list is just too confusing.
Someone using a GGU shouldn't be on the waitlist at all. They must be used for immediate confirmation into First, with U space available at time of use. Theoretically, I guess someone could find U open, use their GGU within a few days of departure and still show as "upgrade cleared" on the waitlist, but generally I think most folks use them a few weeks/months out.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Someone using a GGU shouldn't be on the waitlist at all. They must be used for immediate confirmation into First, with U space available at time of use. Theoretically, I guess someone could find U open, use their GGU within a few days of departure and still show as "upgrade cleared" on the waitlist, but generally I think most folks use them a few weeks/months out.
If you have more than one GGU eligible segment but U isn't open for the other segment(s), you can call in if U opens and get moved then. You still won't be waitlisted and it won't clear automatically.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:35 pm

Behind.
The waitlist itself doesnt get resorted ... its the holding pen you sit in before the upgrade window opens that gets resorted. So MVP added to the waitlist at 48 hours will clear ahead of a Gold added at 24 hours while the upgrade processor is running.
However, the airport waitlist displays in tier order...so Gary will appear ahead of the MVP and any seats left when the gate agent takes over, will be assigned in tier order so Gary would clear first.
Maybe this is how it is supposed to work but it doesn't work like this in reality.

For example, I same day flight changed this past weekend as an MVP Gold 75K. It was confirmed to me later that I had never actually been added to the Upgrade List despite the app showing "Waitlisted for First Class".

https://singleflyer.com/2018/06/06/a...-and-upgrades/

That wasn't the first time this has happened to me either.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Maybe this is how it is supposed to work but it doesn't work like this in reality.

For example, I same day flight changed this past weekend as an MVP Gold 75K. It was confirmed to me later that I had never actually been added to the Upgrade List despite the app showing "Waitlisted for First Class".

https://singleflyer.com/2018/06/06/a...-and-upgrades/

That wasn't the first time this has happened to me either.
I find it's mostly a coin flip for me being added or not, but it does happen, sometimes (the app lies sometimes when it says "Waitlisted for First Class", but the airport screens/upgrade lists do not- if I am not on the screen/upgrade list I wasn't added). Since I am a Gold, not 75K, I would be at the bottom anyway (75Ks go on a DIFFERENT list) so I actually don't WANT the processor to run (since an MVP will clear before I will)- I want it to go to the gate (when I should clear in status order). My default assumption is SDC = no F for you, sucker.

It's admittedly a mess with a lot of "if, then, but" logic and "well, this is how it is supposed to work except often it doesn't" problems.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I SDC'd 20 hours out ADQ-ANC for a flight yesterday.

Waitlisted automatically.

1:30 PM I got an email that my upgrade had cleared. There were 19 or so on the WL and I was the only one to clear.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I SDC'd 20 hours out ADQ-ANC for a flight yesterday.

Waitlisted automatically.

1:30 PM I got an email that my upgrade had cleared. There were 19 or so on the WL and I was the only one to clear.
75Ks go on a different list than Golds/MVP, per the rules... just mentioning this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but didn't think it needed its own thread: I was on an LAX-PVR flight last week, upgraded to F w/ my companion, and apparently the gate agent had accidentally allowed one more passenger to board the plane than there were seats for. Rather than physically drag someone off the plane (like some other airlines), the FA announced that any party of 1 or 2 could take the later morning flight (maybe 2 hours after current departure) in F. While this was certainly a creative way to avoid handing over direct involuntary denied boarding compensation (and probably something I would have jumped on if I hadn't been upgraded and didn't care about arriving a bit later), I certainly would have been annoyed to be # 1 and 2 on the UG list for that flight and see those last two F spots disappear. I guess AS can do what they want with their own seats, but curious if others have seen this on other AS flights, and if this strategy could be why some of us are seeing fewer upgrades?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:31 am

The Alaska upgrade process is a joke.
As an MVP member when you check in and there is a Premium Class seat available, you can choose that for free and essentially not have to go through the upgrade process. My issue is that after check in, you have to go through the upgrade list or pay the upgrade fee. If there are no good PC seats and then one pops up after check in, you have to pay or hope you get upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.