Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
On our flight this past Monday (SEA/LAS) I checked in on-line the day before as usual. We did not appear on the website under "First Class Upgrades". I called and was assured we were on the list, they could see me on their end, and they said we would see ourselves on the list at the Gate.

Well, guess what...we were not on the list at the Gate. Asked the GA, she had no idea, she typed something in and magically we appeared.

Why did we not appear on the list?

It is irrelevant that we had no chance anyway (we were pretty far down) but it is very frustrating that these glitches keep happening.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
On our flight this past Monday (SEA/LAS) ...We did not appear on the website under "First Class Upgrades".
Forgive me for hijacking, but where on one's itinerary on the website do you see the "First Class Upgrade" list? All I see on mine is "First Class Waitlisted" but don't see any actual list.

The only way to see a list that I'm aware of is on the app, but, of course, since the advent of Premium Class upgrades, if you're upgraded to Premium Class you no longer show in the app's listing for F upgrades.

Very frustrating all around.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Forgive me for hijacking, but where on one's itinerary on the website do you see the "First Class Upgrade" list? All I see on mine is "First Class Waitlisted" but don't see any actual list.
It's under flight status. Not sure if there's a direct link from a reservation.

https://m.alaskaair.com/flightstatus

(sorry, can't get the non mobile URL to come up on my phone)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Ah, okay. Got it. Thank you.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes, once you check in, you go to Flight Status, and you can see "Awaiting Seats" and "First Class Upgrades".

On my flight it was an older plane (sorry don't know the numbers) so there was no PC available, it was just either Y or F. But we still should have appeared on the F waitlist.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
... But we still should have appeared on the F waitlist.
So very maddening, isn't it?

And on PC-equipped planes, if you get a Premium seat in advance you no longer show as listed on the F upgrade list online.

Wonder why they can't fix these issues?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
So very maddening, isn't it?

And on PC-equipped planes, if you get a Premium seat in advance you no longer show as listed on the F upgrade list online.

Wonder why they can't fix these issues?
It's even worse than that! We uncheck (read: do NOT check) for PC upgrades, and on a few flights we've been taken out of our beloved exit row and put it PC! What is the point of giving you the option to choose PC, but you still get it even if you don't want it? (I'm not a whiner, but I see NO benefit to the way up front PC rows - we love the exit row for many reasons.)

Thankfully to the generosity of the "old" AS (before they gave away the store to the Virgins and ignored us) all but one of the rest of our flights this year are already in F (GGU's, favorable Gold prices).
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

You can get there from the web, it is home page > Travel Info > Manage travel> Flight Status. or here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/flightstat...D:FlightStatus
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Candidly, one unintended consequence of the IT instability over upgrades and the new upgrade process is that I am no longer favoring AS on my business travel. I'm now equally likely to choose AA.

In both cases (since I'm forced to book through a corporate travel portal for the lowest available fare), I can select good coach seats. And on AA I can immediately select Main Cabin Extra as an AS Gold. No need to wait for the 72-hour upgrade window to see if AS Premium seats become available (if I can't get into an exit row).

Personally, I can no longer recommend pursuing AS elite status to my friends and colleagues based on upgrade benefits as it stands. There are many other nice and important AS elite benefits, but on upgrades alone, there are too many problems right now.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
After checking in the night before my flight, I was 2nd on the upgrade list. The morning of my flight, someone lower on the list got upgraded ahead of me. As it turned out, she was regular MVP who booked the same fare class a month before I did.

Now I realize that 24 hours before the flight, Golds and MVPs have same priority. But then why did the upgrade list show me as #2 and her as #4 ?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Candidly, one unintended consequence of the IT instability over upgrades and the new upgrade process is that I am no longer favoring AS on my business travel. I'm now equally likely to choose AA.
My mother is an AA ExecPlat and routinely sees #8 get an upgrade when she is #2 still in coach. Her counterpart in the Midwest who is a DL diamond sees the same thing. Even as someone who doesn't have a job requiring travel I've seen this sort of thing a handful of times over the past 18 months. This is an issue across all carriers, the only real solution is monitoring the list and questioning anything unusual with the GA. If they are doing anything suspect expect it to be righted very quickly. Last thing they want is a complaint that requires looking into the flight and someone higher up seeing what went on.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by brettsir

My mother is an AA ExecPlat and routinely sees #8 get an upgrade when she is #2 still in coach. Her counterpart in the Midwest who is a DL diamond sees the same thing. Even as someone who doesn't have a job requiring travel I've seen this sort of thing a handful of times over the past 18 months. This is an issue across all carriers, the only real solution is monitoring the list and questioning anything unusual with the GA. If they are doing anything suspect expect it to be righted very quickly. Last thing they want is a complaint that requires looking into the flight and someone higher up seeing what went on.
I made my comment/post above in March 2017 (to which this is now responding), so I'll simply amend it to say that I no longer prefer AA as an equal alternative because of the end of the domestic US relationship with AS.

But I've also discovered that questioning the GA in situations like this doesn't necessarily work. Sometimes the GA has no control, such as when ticket agents outside of the gate are selling upgrades at the check-in counter over the GA.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by eethan
After checking in the night before my flight, I was 2nd on the upgrade list. The morning of my flight, someone lower on the list got upgraded ahead of me. As it turned out, she was regular MVP who booked the same fare class a month before I did.

Now I realize that 24 hours before the flight, Golds and MVPs have same priority. But then why did the upgrade list show me as #2 and her as #4 ?
Honestly I think this has more to do with issues with the upgrade processor than with gate agents upgrading lower priority members. I've noticed U class availability on flights within the upgrade window, called and been told that yes there is U space, but they could not upgrade me because there were folks higher than me on the list. Technically though, if you find an agent that doesn't realize that, they can manually clear you into one of those U slots, skipping a head of people with higher priority than you. I can speak of one instance on a trans-con (DCA-SEA) where my Q fare as MVPG was upgraded by asking Alaska on Twitter why upgrades weren't clearing 12 hrs after U space opened up, and one of their social media staff (name I hadn't recognized so must have been newer) just went ahead and cleared me into first. Wasn't asking them to do this (more was letting them know of an issue with the processor), but certainly wasn't going to be asked to be moved back on a 6 hr flight to allow 75Ks or higher fares purchased before me a chance to clear first. Something similar could have happened here.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by eethan
I wonder it's something like Post #1 in this thread by missy where there's two different waitlists going on coupled with the changes made to order by fare class, and the displayed list is ordered by status, but isn't really behind the scenes.

Last edited by rustykettel; Dec 14, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I wonder it's something like Post #1 in this thread by missy where there's two different waitlists going on coupled with the changes made to order by fare class, and the displayed list is ordered by status, but isn't really behind the scenes.
@missydarlin
If AS has the systems in place to prioritize status before fare class, why don't you guys just use that system to assign upgrades at T-24? That would make more logical and business sense than the current system, which lumps Golds and MVPs into the same priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.