How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Old May 21, 19, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX View Post
Reservations has confirmed that all 3 of you are correct, thanks! This was my first time doing this. I'm not super happy though because when I called the MVP line, they took about 20 seconds to do something on the computer and told me I was all taken care of and that I was added. I would have preferred if they would have just transferred me to reservations or told me they couldn't help rather than straight up lie...
A lot of front line agents don't know how everything works. You probably weren't lied to.
Old May 21, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
A lot of front line agents don't know how everything works. You probably weren't lied to.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I'm curious what she did that made her feel safe saying that it was fixed and that I had been added to the wait list.
Old May 21, 19, 5:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by FlipCup88 View Post
We prioritize mobile app dev for iphones, not android. And no I ain't throwing shade here like we got anything against droid because they are so ratchet AF and iphones be dank, it's cuz majority of AS customers use iphones. And we're in good company too bro. Most airlines do same. Best advice get an iphone.
To be transparent I use & prefer Android for personal reasons but the iOS product is obviously a very good one that many people prefer.

I work in eCommerce and this kind of thinking is just... infuriating.

In the US (where the vast majority of AS app users are going to be) - iOS has about 53% market share vs. Android's 47%

I realize a lot of companies think "iOS first", that is not surprising given that they still lead the market. However, any company that is thinking "iOS only" is about 10 years off the mark.
That's not where you want to be in the tech world, but it is unfortunately where many executives live

Also it is worth keeping in mind that the numbers change dramatically if you look at worldwide usage - iOS has about 23% of the market share vs. Android's 75%
This is mostly due to price. With smart phone adoption spreading even in "poorer" countries, there's more availability of less powerful & cheaper Android based devices.

Why care about international data?
1. They might use your app while in country. I do this when traveling abroad with non-US carriers if they have an app.
2. It's just a bad idea to completely ignore global trends, even if you're primarily a domestic US company.

Suggesting 47% of US based users "buy a new phone" to get competent basic service from an app is ridiculous.

Anyway... that was all a bit off topic.

TL;DR: AS should be prioritizing a working, fully functional app on both iOS & Android.
Buster, dgreen12 and sudobuntu like this.
Old May 21, 19, 5:56 pm

@nearlysober: I still sincerely hope that you are being trolled. I understand that it's hard to hire competent software people, but... come on.
Old May 21, 19, 6:00 pm

@VegasGambler One would hope... but then I guess I'm the old-guy fallin for troll bait these days
Old May 21, 19, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
The agent was wrong.

People on the same PNR are upgraded all together or not at all. When booking as MVP, your companion is not eligible, so you are not eligible.

If you want a chance to get upgraded and leave your companion in coach, book separately. The GA can also split the PNR, but you may have missed out by then.
I have personal experience booking an MVP & non-status on a companion certificate belonging to the MVP. Both parties were waitlisted for an upgrade. The MVP showed up on the waitlist, the companion did not. There is also one report of an MVP & non-status companion getting upgraded.

I understand that is contrary to the benefits listed. Perhaps the waitlist was cleared and empty F seats remained. Depending on the load, asking for a PNR "split" at the gate isn't necessarily "too late" but a separate PNR is definitely the better way to go unless both parties will be checking baggage.

In my case, I was surprised the two were actually waitlisted. The only thing I can attribute it to was booking it through my account as a 75K. I have not, as yet, tested that theory.

James
Old May 21, 19, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I have personal experience booking an MVP & non-status on a companion certificate belonging to the MVP. Both parties were waitlisted for an upgrade. The MVP showed up on the waitlist, the companion did not. There is also one report of an MVP & non-status companion getting upgraded.

I understand that is contrary to the benefits listed. Perhaps the waitlist was cleared and empty F seats remained. Depending on the load, asking for a PNR "split" at the gate isn't necessarily "too late" but a separate PNR is definitely the better way to go unless both parties will be checking baggage.

In my case, I was surprised the two were actually waitlisted. The only thing I can attribute it to was booking it through my account as a 75K. I have not, as yet, tested that theory.

James
This was most likely some sort of a glitch. The vast majority of the data indicates that neither person should be waitlisted (there are a lot of MVPs here; this is not an edge case)

Now, of we could figure out what caused the glitch... that would be useful. The case of a 75k booking a flight for two other people (one MVP and one statusless) using his own companion pass is probably an edge case (and isn't even allowed according to the website, although all the data indicates that it works)
Old May 21, 19, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post

James

Now, of we could figure out what caused the glitch... that would be useful. The case of a 75k booking a flight for two other people (one MVP and one statusless) using his own companion pass is probably an edge case (and isn't even allowed according to the website, although all the data indicates that it works)
James
Old May 21, 19, 10:48 pm

I was an MVP last year. When I booked a flight ticket along with my buddy, I was not waitlisted for First Class. When I got to the gate, I asked the agent if she could see any U space. There was just 1 passenger on FC. 4U were open already. I politely asked her if as an MVP, she could try to upgrade me. She saw in her system and said since the flight load is super low, she went ahead and FC both my friend and I. that was awesome!

But in most cases, it will never waitlist you for FC.
My SO and I were both MVP, and it used to waitlist us when we booked together. This year, I did the coast2elite to secure MVPG and I hope I can milk the MVPG benefits (SDC and Upgrade priority mostly will help us a lot).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG AA BA DL MU Silver Hilton Plat. IHG Plat. Marriott
MVPG Upfare for instant F upgrade or take the chance

So i didn't go through too many posts here. Basically, I just became MVPG a few weeks back, and
I found 3 U seats on route 8/16 (Fri.) SNA-SFO-EWR , and 8/24 (Sat.) JFK-SFO-SNA. There was a non-stop from LAX-EWR/JFK-LAX, but it's overnight or too early so I pass that.
I had a companion pass ($0 fare and $22 fee from credit card), and 4 GGU. So, for reservation 1, I chose M fare class for my campanion and myself to get instant upgrade. Came out at $1200 though. For reservation 2, I used 2 GGU to instant upgrade to F, which is around $600. Does it sounds like a good deal for 3 adults, paying $1800 and 2 GGU to sit in F? I am new to this, I felt like I paid too much. But considering 3 F cheapest fare is $5586 for the exact flights, I get a good deal. How's the standby chances on these transcon routes during summer time? Should I better off get a cheap main cabin fare and hope to get upgrade at T-48/gate?
Old May 22, 19, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by simonsuo View Post
= So, for reservation 1, I chose M fare class for my campanion and myself to get instant upgrade. Came out at $1200 though.
I would not consider this a good deal, especially when P/I fares can be found for under $600 with some flexibility. With those fares, you would have lounge access and earn more miles (75% bonus vs 25%).

Originally Posted by simonsuo View Post
For reservation 2, I used 2 GGU to instant upgrade to F, which is around $600.
I would call this a better deal. $300 per person to fly a Tcon in F is good.

MVPGs do get upgrades on these routes, even MVPs on rare occasion. It's all about balancing how important saving money is vs. a guaranteed F seat, for you. If you've already reached MVPG and you are flying a Tcon in F, it might be worth looking at going for 75K.
Old May 22, 19, 6:46 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver

:-D

Are there many differences between iPhone and Android AS app?
sudobuntu likes this.
Old May 22, 19, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post

:-D

Are there many differences between iPhone and Android AS app?
Savage, bro
UAPremierExec and sudobuntu like this.
Old May 23, 19, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife View Post
I was an MVP last year. When I booked a flight ticket along with my buddy, I was not waitlisted for First Class. When I got to the gate, I asked the agent if she could see any U space. There was just 1 passenger on FC. 4U were open already. I politely asked her if as an MVP, she could try to upgrade me. She saw in her system and said since the flight load is super low, she went ahead and FC both my friend and I. that was awesome!
My first year of MVP I was flying with a buddy on the same PNR and so, not wait-listed to upgrade. While my buddy was in the can they announced that they had space in FC and asked if anyone would like to purchase an upgrade.

I knew my itinerary wasn't able to be upgraded due to the two of us on one PNR but I figured asking couldn't hurt. A line had formed and by the time I got to explain that I was an MVP and didn't get upgraded, she told me why I was skipped (which I knew) and told me there was unfortunately only 1 seat left. I told the GA to leave my buddy in coach and I'd take the seat

That was my first "upgrade" based on my status although technically I think it was more like she just waived the fee they were selling the seats for... but whatever.

Later that year when flying on separate PNRs but traveling with that same buddy and I got an upgrade and gave him the seat as he had yet to fly FC at that point.
Old May 27, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD
Actually...

People on the same PNR are upgraded all together or not at all.
Last week on MCO-SEA in 6A+B, just before departure I was upgraded at T-20. My companion on the PNR was MVP, but they had only one seat available which they gave to me.

I chalked it up to a non-standard gate procedure at an AS end-node (can't see that happening in SEA), but it does happen.

Search this Thread