Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I had an odd upgrade experience yesterday. I was flying with a friend and booked us together on the same PNR. It showed us both as wait listed for first class on our apps, but when we checked in I only saw my name listed on the UPG list and not my friend. I was 2nd on the list so we thought if I cleared, but he didn't, we'd try to talk to someone at the gate. However, 1st class filled up quickly with either last minute buys or SDCs and it looked like I wouldn't even clear at 2nd on the list.

Odd behavior I noticed in the app:
- About 4 hours before the flight, I tried to move us to better seats in PE - but whenever I tried to move myself it'd give an error that "The seat is no longer available".
- When we went to board, I still showed in 7D but my boarding group had gone blank, my friends still showed the proper boarding group

Based on that, I figured I might have been upgrade but it just wasn't reflected. As I walked down the jet-way I ran into a GA going up who got the radio call to upgrade me. So while I didn't make it all the way to my seat, I guess it counts as a battlefield upgrade.
This is such a disgrace. When will AS fix the upgrade waitlist system to actually work as they say it should???
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I've repeatedly had "no boarding group" issues with boarding passes (app and paper) over the past several months, especially when traveling with my spouse: her boarding pass will show a boarding group, mine won't. It's a minor annoyance, but clearly a system glitch.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
After several suspicious upgrade processing experiences recently I started taking screenshots of the upgrade list at boarding time. 9:35 am
departure this morning ex-SFO. At 9 am there was 1 available F seat, I was #1 on the list, with 6 people behind me. Sure enough, at 9:15 am I checked again (after boarding), and #4 had cleared into the single F seat, jumping ahead of me and 2 others.

I don’t care that much in this case because I have an entire exit row to myself and I didn’t feel like eating the warmed-over breakfast of questionable quality. But I guess the lesson is that you have to babysit the gate agent if you want to get your upgrade?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
After several suspicious upgrade processing experiences recently I started taking screenshots of the upgrade list at boarding time. 9:35 am
departure this morning ex-SFO. At 9 am there was 1 available F seat, I was #1 on the list, with 6 people behind me. Sure enough, at 9:15 am I checked again (after boarding), and #4 had cleared into the single F seat, jumping ahead of me and 2 others.

I don’t care that much in this case because I have an entire exit row to myself and I didn’t feel like eating the warmed-over breakfast of questionable quality. But I guess the lesson is that you have to babysit the gate agent if you want to get your upgrade?
I think the lesson also could be don't assume the gate (or app) display is an accurate depiction of the real upgrade order in the system.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I think the lesson also could be don't assume the gate (or app) display is an accurate depiction of the real upgrade order in the system.
Yes, I think it's mentioned upthread (by missydarlin) that the displayed order is sometimes incorrect. If I was #1 on the list I'd certainly ask the GA about it though.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I don't know if it's consistent, but I've seen some indication that instant upgrade fares don't display properly on the list. I had my son (MVP) on an instant-upgradeable award ticket a couple of months back and he cleared from somewhere well out of the money on the displayed list for one segment.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, I think it's mentioned upthread (by missydarlin) that the displayed order is sometimes incorrect. If I was #1 on the list I'd certainly ask the GA about it though.
I can also confirm from my own experience and conversations with AS execs as well as gate agents that it's sometimes incorrect. I've honestly given up trusting or relying on it. But agreed; if one is No. 1, one should wonder.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
It seems the upgrade issues may still be ongoing. When I attempted to check in for my LAS - PDX flight, the app offered me the opportunity to pay for an upgrade (I’m a G75K). I follow it through to the actual payment screen to see if was real, but then declined to buy it because I didn’t want to jump the list. I called in to report it
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:16 pm

Glitch again this past week PHX-SEA. I was listed on the gate display upgrade waitlist; my wife, who is on the same PNR, was not. I'm used to that bug now.

But I was paged and, immediately after that, saw that her name suddenly appeared on the display waitlist directly below mine. The gate agent was going to upgrade me, since there was one seat available in First, then noticed my wife was waitlisted as well but didn't show up properly. She fixed that and wanted to know if I wanted to be upgraded without her.

I wisely declined. But noted the continuing glitch and the "fix" at the gate.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd

I wisely declined. But noted the continuing glitch and the "fix" at the gate.
You should have accepted and then gave it to your wife.

James
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You should have accepted and then gave it to your wife.

James
As I said to the gate agent, under no circumstance would the upgrade for me have been an upgrade for me. Actually, I did offer it to her before declining the upgrade, but she preferred to sit with me. That was kind.
brizone and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Annoying experience with the waitlist this weekend. Flying PDX-AUS I showed as added-to-the-waitlist online and in the app, but I did not show on the actual waitlist. I asked the GA at PDX about this and she confirmed that I was not on the list. She helpfully stapled me to the bottom of the list (which would not have been right unless there were no MVPs on that flight) but it wouldn't have made a difference at that point. Flying back I again was not on the waitlist and decided to call reservations about it. The agent there told me I could not be added to the list because F was full... which kind of defeats the purpose of a waitlist doesn't it?

This was a normal ticket with T and V fares. I got were I was going and was in PC both ways, so not the end of the world. It does however diminish MP elite benefits somewhat if I can't trust the system to work and AS employees can't help when it doesn't.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
How do upgrades to premium economy work? My husband and I have MVP status. We have had to call Alaska for the past few flights and ask them to move us to PE in the upgrade window to avoid paying the PE upgrade fees (we do not book saver fares). They said they didn’t know why we couldn’t do it ourselves in the app for $0. Currently we are scheduled to fly in less than 48 hours. The seat map shows a lot of open seats on the flight including 6 in first class, 12 in premium economy and only 4 seats are booked in the elite status section (2 of those are us). I don’t understand why I am unable to select 2 premium economy seats for $0 in the mobile or PC application.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by rtwgal
How do upgrades to premium economy work? My husband and I have MVP status. We have had to call Alaska for the past few flights and ask them to move us to PE in the upgrade window to avoid paying the PE upgrade fees (we do not book saver fares). They said they didn’t know why we couldn’t do it ourselves in the app for $0. Currently we are scheduled to fly in less than 48 hours. The seat map shows a lot of open seats on the flight including 6 in first class, 12 in premium economy and only 4 seats are booked in the elite status section (2 of those are us). I don’t understand why I am unable to select 2 premium economy seats for $0 in the mobile or PC application.
Some people who received MVP status are not fully configured as MVP in the AS system. I've seen this happen to two colleagues. They were told MVP status is processed manually and whoever did that never completed the steps properly. Calling in, asking for a supervisor, and getting them to personally look into it fixed their problem.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks, I will call Alaska and ask about this. We were both MVP last year so this explains why we had to call in last year as well. I dropped from MVP Gold to MVP last year so I probably wasn't set up correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.