Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Edited to add: I've seen gate agents sell upgrades and then announce that those waiting for upgrades (i.e. those on the waitlist) should board because F was now full. This has been going on a long time.
Yes. I've seen it too (though from the ticket counter groundside). This is why I stopped trusting AS's upgrade process a bit more than a year ago. Sadly. It used to be somewhat understandable. It's not, anymore, and the "bugs" in the system seem to be unassailable and even assumed by some to be an actual part of the process.

It's Fizzbin (Star Trek fans may follow the reference.)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
The agent was *partially* correct.

if U space is available, anyone can purchase a paid upgrade.

But what they didnt' mention is that U,space should not become available for said paid upgrades until the waitlust is cleared.

As Beckoa stated above, sometimes they do slip through, usually related to last minute cancellations.
AKCuisine and PDX4MSU like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by PDX4MSU
Also looks like the term “complimentary” and the time frames prior to flight (48, 72, 128) are all gone from the elite status page.
They are here https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...upgrades#class
PDX4MSU likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scheduled for OGG-PDX-SFO on 12/26. Have a full Y fare on the OGG-PDX leg. Still waiting for my upgrade to clear. Upgrade already cleared on PDX-SFO leg. Best I can tell still selling 3 seats.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Baze
Scheduled for OGG-PDX-SFO on 12/26. Have a full Y fare on the OGG-PDX leg. Still waiting for my upgrade to clear. Upgrade already cleared on PDX-SFO leg. Best I can tell still selling 3 seats.

If you are MVP or higher you should be able to call and have them move you into the space, if U is available. If you try and buy a ticket now and select the MVG upgrade filter does it show it as available? if so, give reservations a call and kindly ask they move you up.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Sadly, AS' IT systems are so (so) very far behind the rest of the industry. They are full of bugs, there a tricks and tips that "insiders" know which can game the system. AS needs to go to (at least for a small part) a basic confirm at purchase - any fare - UG that high mileage fliers can use without ripping off their employers (e.g., buying a higher fare class). I would bet that more than 50% of everyone using an UG on an AS flight purchased a higher fare class than the lowest available. For those who are flying on their company's or client's nickel - if this ever gets audited. Whoa Nelly...
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I had the exact same situation happen to me on OAK-PDX last night. Was offered $53 upgrade at checkin via app (I'm MVP). I declined, and the app showed me as 2/2 on the waitlist from then until boarding. Fortunately, I got a battlefield UG after I boarded, but something was clearly amiss. I figured I could have called and gotten it earlier, but honestly didn't want to waste the time for such a short flight. Still, it's irritating that the system didn't work as it should.
pfpdx likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i'd rather see them completely lock down window upgrades if they can't fix the bug. lock out U at T-6 days (which gives people the opportunity to get instant or GGU upgrades) then give out remaining complimentary upgrades from the waitlist at the gate an hour before departure, and sell what is left thereafter. this nonsense has been going on for years and it is ridiculous and a real amateur hour display from the IT team. AS' only saving grace is that historically UA has had the exact same problem, but if I were AS I certainly wouldn't want my IT bucketed in the same conversation as UA's.
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
I think the main issue here, as I see it, is that Alaska Air representatives are quoting inaccurate upgrade benefits and procedures. Whether or not an IT glitch is allowing cash upgrades to be sold when complimentary elite upgrades have yet to be processed isn't really the main problem here. The fact that reps, via phone, chat, or Twiter, are telling people that cash upgrades *will* and *should* be sold before elite complimentary upgrades are processed is where some intervention is needed.

The concept of selling upgrades before processing them free of charge for elites goes against Alaska's published and marketed policies. If this has changed, it needs to be communicated to all those affected. If the policy has not changed, then some additional CSR training is definitely in order.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfpdx
If you are MVP or higher you should be able to call and have them move you into the space, if U is available. If you try and buy a ticket now and select the MVG upgrade filter does it show it as available? if so, give reservations a call and kindly ask they move you up.
75k. Just checked. No U space available and someone must have cancelled or changed as 4 seats available now. But still no U.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75; Bonvoy, National Exec, United Silver
Originally Posted by LWkitty
I think the main issue here, as I see it, is that Alaska Air representatives are quoting inaccurate upgrade benefits and procedures. Whether or not an IT glitch is allowing cash upgrades to be sold when complimentary elite upgrades have yet to be processed isn't really the main problem here. The fact that reps, via phone, chat, or Twiter, are telling people that cash upgrades *will* and *should* be sold before elite complimentary upgrades are processed is where some intervention is needed.

The concept of selling upgrades before processing them free of charge for elites goes against Alaska's published and marketed policies. If this has changed, it needs to be communicated to all those affected. If the policy has not changed, then some additional CSR training is definitely in order.
I completely agree. The twitter rep repeatedly said that there were two options during OLCI 1) pay for an upgrade or 2) wait for a complimentary upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone ever had luck getting an F upgrade on a "guaranteed fare class" after you get status? I booked M/B class tickets a month before I attained Gold and just tried to call and see if I could ensure upgrades. The CSR was nice, but wouldn't budge.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Has anyone ever had luck getting an F upgrade on a "guaranteed fare class" after you get status? I booked M/B class tickets a month before I attained Gold and just tried to call and see if I could ensure upgrades. The CSR was nice, but wouldn't budge.
ask them to remove your FF#, then go back and re-add it. If u is open you'll clear.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
I think U has closed or hasn't opened, so I'm probably SOL. 3 seats left on my outbound Friday morning so here's to hoping they open some and I clear tomorrow morning.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:56 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by LWkitty

It has not changed, and the social care reps have been reached out to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.