FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   How Complimentary Upgrades Work (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1375700-how-complimentary-upgrades-work.html)

jaloola Mar 2, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm becoming extremely confused from reading this thread, but this is how I'm understanding it after doing so. Considering that no U space is ever released:

From T-330 to T-5 days:

75Ks on qualifying fares by time of request
GLDs/MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request

From T-5 to T-3 days:

75Ks on qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-5 days
75Ks on non-qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-5 days
75Ks on qualifying/non-qualifying fares by time of request after T-5 days
GLDs/MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request

From T-3 to T-2 days:

GLDs/MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-3 days
GLDs on non-qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-3 days
GLDs on qualifying/non-qualifying fares and MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request after T-3 days

From T-2 days to departure:

GLDs/MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-3 days
GLDs on non-qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-3 days
GLDs on qualifying/non-qualifying fares and MVPs on qualifying fares by time of request between T-3 days and T-2 days
MVPs on non-qualifying fares by time of request prior to T-2 days
GLDs/MVPs on qualifying/non-qualifying fares by time of request after T-2 days
DL DMs/PMs/GMs on qualifying/non-qualifying fares by time of request

jaloola Mar 2, 2014 11:56 pm

Now for two questions:

1) Why are DL DMs/PMs/GMs on the DL forum reporting upgrade success on AS prior to T-2? Is that because U space is released but AS knows there are no MVPs on non-qualifying fares at the moment to upgrade at T-2?

2) When U space is released, is the waitlist immediately processed or, for example, is there a chance someone using an MVP Gold Guest Upgrade prior to the upgrade processor could be upgraded but nobody on the waitlist?

UAPremierExec Apr 11, 2014 5:28 pm

this just seems backwards. It explains why I was at the near bottom of the UG list on tickets I purchased as a full Y fare customer and Gold..

UAPremierExec Apr 16, 2014 9:51 am

Ok, now I'm annoyed. Was #6 of like 35 for this morning's JNU-SEA on a ticket I bought like 9 months ago, but due to a Delta misconnect I didn't go. I'm now going a DIFFERENT direction and have a completely NEW ticket for the later JNU-SEA flight... and tada.. I'm #2 on the list.

Should we just start calling this "Upgrade Roulette" as there seems to be no clear science/direction with how the list is done? I highly doubt that there is only 1 other MVP/MVPG on my flight.

CDKing Apr 16, 2014 10:14 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 22713756)
Ok, now I'm annoyed. Was #6 of like 35 for this morning's JNU-SEA on a ticket I bought like 9 months ago, but due to a Delta misconnect I didn't go. I'm now going a DIFFERENT direction and have a completely NEW ticket for the later JNU-SEA flight... and tada.. I'm #2 on the list.

Should we just start calling this "Upgrade Roulette" as there seems to be no clear science/direction with how the list is done? I highly doubt that there is only 1 other MVP/MVPG on my flight.

How do you know there wasn't? How do you know less F seats were sold in advance and more people were upgraded in advance?

UAPremierExec Apr 16, 2014 11:38 am

CDK -

According to how Alaska says the day-of-departure upgrade list is sorted, MVPs and MVPG's are NOT differentiated, and it is based on the time you were placed on the upgrade list or time of booking. I literally bought my ticket for the 150PM flight at like 8AM today.

Kieron Apr 16, 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 22713756)
I highly doubt that there is only 1 other MVP/MVPG on my flight.

Perhaps, but that's not what you're looking at. The list is only those eligible passengers that (1) haven't been upgraded already at T>24 and (2) have already checked in. On an elite light flight in particular, that's entirely reasonable.

I see that AS76 is up to ten names on the waitlist now, an hour before departure, suggesting that there were indeed plenty of people left to check in when you posted.

dc333 Apr 17, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 22714395)
CDK -

According to how Alaska says the day-of-departure upgrade list is sorted, MVPs and MVPG's are NOT differentiated, and it is based on the time you were placed on the upgrade list or time of booking. I literally bought my ticket for the 150PM flight at like 8AM today.

I'm not sure why that would've been quoted by Alaska. After seeing the other side of the agent's monitors, the day of departure list is sorted by 75k/mvpg/mvp/DL/non-elite paid requests. Then, among each level, it's sorted by the time placed on the list or time of booking as you were quoted. Perhaps they mis-communicated or were just incorrect when explaining?

Some agents are really nice and take the time to explain, even sometimes just saying "here, take a look!"

Regardless, sounds like the later flight was lighter and in your favor. How'd it work out in the end?

jackal Apr 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by dc333 (Post 22720112)
I'm not sure why that would've been quoted by Alaska. After seeing the other side of the agent's monitors, the day of departure list is sorted by 75k/mvpg/mvp/DL/non-elite paid requests. Then, among each level, it's sorted by the time placed on the list or time of booking as you were quoted.

That's not what Missy said. Have you read through this thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html

dc333 Apr 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 22720361)
That's not what Missy said. Have you read through this thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html

That's true, I was wrong to call it the "day of departure list." I forgot about the auto-upgrade list running until D-60. Sorry about that.

I was thinking the "gate priority list," or the airport upgrade list, if I'm using that correctly. How they're shown and manually cleared at D-30 after no-shows, misconnects, etc. This however conflicts with what Missy says regarding agents clearing from the time-only list before being transferred to the airport list. AFAIK and have seen, upgrades cleared manually at D-30 are from the airport upgrade list, just as seen on the app and monitors, which is ordered specifically by tier then time.

Sorry to derail the thread.

jackal Apr 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by dc333 (Post 22720690)
That's true, I was wrong to call it the "day of departure list." I forgot about the auto-upgrade list running until D-60. Sorry about that.

I was thinking the "gate priority list," or the airport upgrade list, if I'm using that correctly. How they're shown and manually cleared at D-30 after no-shows, misconnects, etc. This however conflicts with what Missy says regarding agents clearing from the time-only list before being transferred to the airport list. AFAIK and have seen, upgrades cleared manually at D-30 are from the airport upgrade list, just as seen on the app and monitors, which is ordered specifically by tier then time.

Sorry to derail the thread.

No problem. I've moved this series of posts over to that thread now so as to avoid cluttering up the upgrade reports thread.

Hopefully someone can clear up which list the GAs work from at D-30.

Yahtzee Dec 1, 2014 11:00 am

Okay, I've read through this thread and am not sure about the following: is it possible to know at booking when an instant upgrade is available? If there is a little gold U (I'm color blind enough that I'm not sure it's gold) that says "MVP Gold Upgrade" available next to the fare I've selected, does that mean an instant upgrade is available? Or do you need to purchase the ticket to find out?

It worked on a recent ticket purchase but don't know if I was lucky or if it went as expected.

I'm a 75K.

missamo80 Dec 1, 2014 11:32 am

If the U is gold it means it is available for instant upgrade if you book the appropriate fare class (which they will highlight for you on the grid of fares).

Neil

Yahtzee Dec 1, 2014 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 23924269)
If the U is gold it means it is available for instant upgrade if you book the appropriate fare class (which they will highlight for you on the grid of fares).

Neil

Thank you.

PWMTrav Jan 2, 2015 8:34 am

Let's say I purchase a ticket on 6/1/2014, BOS-SAN-BOS, and I'm an MVP and waitlist for a UG. Then on 12/1/2014, I changed the SAN-BOS segment to a different date. Is my waitlist status 6/1 for BOS-SAN and 12/1 for SAN-BOS, or am I 12/1 for both?