Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PenAir getting out of the air taxi service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

End of an era.

PenAir will be re-focusing on serving hub cities and Anchorage, with no air taxi service to the outlying villages in southwest Alaska.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...w_left_bullets
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:44 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
but at the same time gives contradictory statements like these

The airline says it will continue to take reservations and operate all of its air taxi locations until another service provider can offer scheduled service at each location.
So....? If nobody wants a route Penair will run it indefinately?

I guess what they need is an idiotic reality tv show like their close compadre to increase business and souvenir revenue
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

After mulling this over during the afternoon, I wonder if Seybert is angling the airline to be bought out by the likes of HoTH (better known as Era Alaska) or even AS. PenAir will turn into another Seaport with ops splintered all over the country at this rate.

Unfortunately the air taxi days of yore are long gone with fuel prices being what they are now. This state needs to think hard about the future because many of these villages will be inaccessible without air service and no road infrastructure.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:38 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Chugach
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

After mulling this over during the afternoon, I wonder if Seybert is angling the airline to be bought out by the likes of HoTH (better known as Era Alaska) or even AS. PenAir will turn into another Seaport with ops splintered all over the country at this rate.

Unfortunately the air taxi days of yore are long gone with fuel prices being what they are now. This state needs to think hard about the future because many of these villages will be inaccessible without air service and no road infrastructure.
still waiting for that Elliott road from Minto or Manley Hot springs to Nome...would be cool
Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Chugach
PenAir will turn into another Seaport with ops splintered all over the country at this rate.
They are already going up against Cape Air in BOS
Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
According to KTUU, Grant Aviation is taking over many of the routes. (www.ktuu.com)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
So will AS partner with Grant now for redemptions? Or will we lose a chunk of potential flights?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
So will AS partner with Grant now for redemptions? Or will we lose a chunk of potential flights?
I don't think PenAir's village flights were ever eligible for AS redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.