Wiki Posts
Search

Jumped in the queue....AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Jumped in the queue....AGAIN

A little peeved- this is the third time I've been jumped in the upgrade queue this month. The others were shorter flights, so no biggie, but thus one was to Hawaii. I asked the GA about it- he person who jumped was MVP (I'm gold) and they had no explanation but the "glitch" excuse. Awful new upgrade system.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not new. It's been around for years, and AS has never gotten around to fixing it.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:34 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by QT31415
A little peeved- this is the third time I've been jumped in the upgrade queue this month. The others were shorter flights, so no biggie, but thus one was to Hawaii. I asked the GA about it- he person who jumped was MVP (I'm gold) and they had no explanation but the "glitch" excuse. Awful new upgrade system.
If you want to forward your flight information I can have someone look into it.

Are you sure you were jumped and that the MVP didn't have a higher upgrade priority than you?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
The OP didn't provide enough details to discern exactly what happened. Was the MVP's upgrade cleared at the gate or during OLCI?

In a T-24 upgrade situation, it's all about having the fastest fingers. It's not really fair, but that's how AS has it set up. If you don't want to be leapfrogged, then you have to learn to play the game.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf
The OP didn't provide enough details to discern exactly what happened. Was the MVP's upgrade cleared at the gate or during OLCI?

In a T-24 upgrade situation, it's all about having the fastest fingers. It's not really fair, but that's how AS has it set up. If you don't want to be leapfrogged, then you have to learn to play the game.
The leapfrogging game was supposed to have been fixed while I was on vacation. But I've only been back in the office for 3 hours, so I'm not up to speed on everything yet :
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Originally Posted by hgdf

The leapfrogging game was supposed to have been fixed while I was on vacation. But I've only been back in the office for 3 hours, so I'm not up to speed on everything yet :
Unless it was towards the end of the vacation...I'm not convinced things changed yet.

Welcome back ^
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
This thread here seems to give an indication they are, or have indeed possibly fixed the loophole.

I am curious how the OP knows they were jumped over so many times. That's obviously not public knowledge, and unless if you start taking a poll of F passengers or getting the gate agent to go into other peoples records for you I can't think of a way to figure it out.

Hopefully it is fixed, or will be soon. One less thing to worry about would be nice.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
This thread here seems to give an indication they are, or have indeed possibly fixed the loophole.

I am curious how the OP knows they were jumped over so many times. That's obviously not public knowledge, and unless if you start taking a poll of F passengers or getting the gate agent to go into other peoples records for you I can't think of a way to figure it out. This should no longer happen.

Hopefully it is fixed, or will be soon. One less thing to worry about would be nice.

The fix did indeed go out over a week ago. If anyone has a legitimate reason to believe they were jumped, then please PM me your flight details.

And by legitimate, I need more than "an MVP was in first and I wasn't".

Jumping would consist of someone receiving a paid upgrade during check-in when there was still an active waitlist, or someone playing the "check in over and over" game hoping a U seat would come available and they could grab it before the agent started clearing the waitlist.

Edited by MD: Incorrect Info Removed

Last edited by missydarlin; Jul 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by missydarlin
In the previous version of the upgrade list, where everything was converted to the Airport waitlist at check-in .. 75K's and Golds automatically floated to the top of the airport waitlist. Now that the original waitlist order is being preserved, that will no longer happen.
This is somewhat contradictory to the way I understand upgrade waitlists.

Let's say Mary the MVP books a ticket July 1 for a flight next month. It's a qualifying fare, but there's no U space, so she gets put on the waitlist.

On July 2, Gary the Gold books a ticket for the same flight. It's also a qualifying fare, but there's still no U space, so he also goes on the waitlist.

On July 3, revenue management releases 1 seat for upgrade. Who gets it?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I'm sure I don't fully understand "the rules", but I really want to understand them

By "jumped the queue" I mean that upon arrival to the gate, I am #1 on the upgrade list. I spoke to the GA, who says that there is one seat in F that hasn't checked in. 15 minutes before boarding, she calls #2 to the desk and upgrades her. How do I know she's MVP? I asked the GA. I spoke to the GA, who was truly confused, called several different "training centers" and gave them my info; they also don't know why it happened.

Either the queue listed at the gate is not ordered correctly (in which case I apologize for this rant) or the U fare was released minutes before boarding, or I'm just unlucky. The other two times this happened I did not check the status of the queue jumper, so perhaps they were 75K, but then wouldn't they be listed top of the list, not second or third? I pay attention to the names on the list, and the names being called for the upgrades, so I know that they were lower on the list than myself. Once, I and my daughter were 1 and 2, and I was upgraded, number 3 was upgraded, and daughter sat in coach.

Educate me.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:03 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I'm sure I don't fully understand "the rules", but I really want to understand them

By "jumped the queue" I mean that upon arrival to the gate, I am #1 on the upgrade list. I spoke to the GA, who says that there is one seat in F that hasn't checked in. 15 minutes before boarding, she calls #2 to the desk and upgrades her. How do I know she's MVP? I asked the GA. I spoke to the GA, who was truly confused, called several different "training centers" and gave them my info; they also don't know why it happened.

Either the queue listed at the gate is not ordered correctly (in which case I apologize for this rant) or the U fare was released minutes before boarding, or I'm just unlucky. The other two times this happened I did not check the status of the queue jumper, so perhaps they were 75K, but then wouldn't they be listed top of the list, not second or third? I pay attention to the names on the list, and the names being called for the upgrades, so I know that they were lower on the list than myself. Once, I and my daughter were 1 and 2, and I was upgraded, number 3 was upgraded, and daughter sat in coach.

Educate me.
We still won't be able to give you a detailed explanation of what happened. All we can do here is make educated guesses, I would PM MissyDarlin your flight # and date, so she can find the answer to what took place. From there we can better explain why that happened.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I can understand the OP's frustration. I am used to seeing my name high on the upgrade list (2nd to 4th) on any DL flight and watch as it drops down into the 20's and 30's by the time boarding begins. Normally on AS flights if I did not get upgraded my position on the list stays static thru to actual boarding. Once though, I was first on the list with FC not checked in full yet. So, I was quite hopeful Along came two guys up to the GA desk and started chatting with the GAs, I could hear an occasional word now and then "please, laughing and joking, aw come on, etc) and wow, about 30 seconds after they left the desk two names appeared on the waiting to upgrade list ahead of me. The appearance sure looked like they sweet talked their way ahead of me, but they really could have bumped me for perfectly legitimate reasons. At that time it was not worth trying to see what really happened, as I would have felt too much like a DYKWIA too.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
Once though, I was first on the list with FC not checked in full yet. So, I was quite hopeful Along came two guys up to the GA desk and started chatting with the GAs, I could hear an occasional word now and then "please, laughing and joking, aw come on, etc) and wow, about 30 seconds after they left the desk two names appeared on the waiting to upgrade list ahead of me. The appearance sure looked like they sweet talked their way ahead of me, but they really could have bumped me for perfectly legitimate reasons. At that time it was not worth trying to see what really happened, as I would have felt too much like a DYKWIA too.
It's all water under the bridge at this point but my thought (not that you were asking for it) is this: being #1 on the waitlist and seemingly outgunned for an upgrade by two people who apparently weren't even on the list would have compelled me to ask the GA what happened. Because of the manner in which they wheedled and cajoled their way ahead of you, that would have led me to believe they lacked the perfectly legitimate reasons. I think you were owed an explanation. There's no harm in you, as a customer, asking the question. At the very least, it would put that GA's on notice that "people are watching" and, perfectly legitimate reasons aside, they should respect the priority of the waitlist. Granted, the two interlopers, as customers, were entitled to plead their case. But good customer service also means following the rules and if they didn't have the legitimate reason, their request should have been denied. After all, how would they feel if you did unto them what they did unto you?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by baliktad
This is somewhat contradictory to the way I understand upgrade waitlists.

Let's say Mary the MVP books a ticket July 1 for a flight next month. It's a qualifying fare, but there's no U space, so she gets put on the waitlist.

On July 2, Gary the Gold books a ticket for the same flight. It's also a qualifying fare, but there's still no U space, so he also goes on the waitlist.

On July 3, revenue management releases 1 seat for upgrade. Who gets it?
Update: Mary the MVP gets the upgrade. However, it would be a different situation if it had been Stanley the 75K instead of Gary the Gold

Last edited by missydarlin; Aug 9, 2012 at 5:39 pm Reason: correct misinformation
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:35 am

Educate me.
If you can forward your record locator, I can have the dev team research your specific issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.