Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Delta and Alaska to announce "new service and product enhancements" on Monday, Oct. 8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta and Alaska to announce "new service and product enhancements" on Monday, Oct. 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle

Alaska sent a media advisory today advising of an upcoming announcement on Monday. From Airlinereporter.com's David Parker Brown via the Seattle PI:

Today Alaska Airlines sent out a media advisory stating that their CEO, Brad Tilden, and Delta Air Lines CEO, Richard Anderson, will make a joint announcement on Monday about, “new service, product enhancements in Seattle.” What does that mean exactly? I am not sure.
Link to full article: What are Alaska and Delta Up to In Seattle? You Tell Me.

Let the wild speculation begin!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: DL-PM, HHonors-Silver, Marriott-Gold
Code share from sea - hnd nonstop?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
At the SEA Thank You DO, many of the DL employees mentioned how Richard Anderson is very interested in improving the quality of DL's SEA operations and that DL would soon be renovating its ticket counters to look more like AS's Airport of the Future.

My guess is that AS and DL will be combining some airport operations in SEA like is already done in Europe. AS could handle above wing operations and DL could handle below wing operations. I'm trying to determine the feasibility of this as DL has many longtime DL, NW, and likely some Republic and Hughes Air West employees in SEA.

As for new flights, maybe we'll see some DL flights to ANC and LAX in return for some AS flights to SLC and DTW.

If this announcement includes free Economy Comfort for AS elites, even only at T-24, I will be very happy.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
As for new flights, maybe we'll see some DL flights to ANC and LAX in return for some AS flights to SLC and DTW.
I like my UG's on AS though

If this announcement includes free Economy Comfort for AS elites, even only at T-24, I will be very happy.
Now this would be most welcome ^ Have a trip from 50th state back home and would prefer EC to my current exit row config...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I no longer keep a DL SkyMiles account and credit all my DL flights to AS. It's my number-two FF program, after UA. But given the awful state of UA ops, a change such as Tide suggests would be a real incentive to make AS/DL number one.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:37 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

x1000 ^

There goes my productivity on Monday morning
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I was wondering what big topic(s) would be rolled out to the masses at the ANC MVP meals on the 18th. Now at least we know one of them!

Looking ahead, though: I wonder if this is the first baby step toward a merger.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
I hope not. I am paranoid that Alaska is moving toward being a more generic brand and that one of these days the Eskimo will be dropped through a merger or rebranding.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Could this perhaps be linked to the mileage plan outage this weekend?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by kwl747
I was wondering the same... Haven't heard too much about it yet.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The stock price is relatively flat, which leads me to believe that the extreme end of the rumor mill is likely completely unfounded.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

My first guess was Horizon doing some regional flying for DL out of SLC, but if that was the case I think they'd be announcing it in Salt Lake.

So I'm stumped. It must be some kind of expanded cooperation at SEA or possibly an international JV.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I hope they don't do something silly like join the red headed step child of alliances. Or *gulp* merge with Delta. Especially with all my International Flights on AA coming up.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by kwl747

Nooooo...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The announcement is focused on "service and product enhancements in Seattle" which would seem to rule out things like mergers or alliance-joining. So the question is, what could DL and AS do in SEA if they operated more like a single airline? Thoughts:

DL likes how AS handles things at SEA. If anything, DL will become more like AS or transfer some responsibilities to AS.
  • DL could adopt AS' "Airport of the Future" model with parallel rows of baggage check stations.
  • DL could transfer some of its ground responsibilities to AS: checkin, self-bag drop, 20 minute baggage guarantee?
  • DL and AS could go in together on a jointly-operated ground facility: a mega SkyRoom/BoardClub with staff from both airlines?
AS has always looked up to DL as a "big brother." AS would like to find a way to keep its cost structure and operate on more lucrative international routes.
  • AS could operate feeder flights to SLC for access to more far-flung destinations.

If this whole thing boils down to AS codesharing on a handful of intl DL flights, I will be sorely disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.