Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Old Jul 7, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum

Glanced over on the Alaska FB page where it is confirmed that all $110 visa companion certificates issues after August 1st will be valid only in COACH class.

"All new companion fare certificates issued after August 1st will be valid in conjunction with Coach Class only. Any unused certificates may still be used towards First Class until their expiration date. Ongoing cost pressures and growing demand for limited space in First Class (particularly on flights to Hawaii and the East Coast) prompted the changes. Our companion fare still offers tremendous value in that - unlike other airlines' offerings - it can be used for travel to anywhere we fly, including Hawaii and Mexico. Additionally, as an MVP Gold, you can still use your benefits to upgrade to First Class when traveling on a companion fare ticket."

I was debating keeping my visa signature after the 1000 mile booking bonus, but, this change renders the card benefit-less.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Whoa...I guess we saw this coming. Wonder if these are all typos again...

Clearly this decision was made some time ago. BofA is probably going to be shocked about the number of cards that get cancelled in the next several months.

Bummer for me is, this is one of my longest standing cc's. Anyone know if I can transfer this account history over to my other BofA card to maintain the longevity and not take the hit on my credit score?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

I got the letter confirming this in the mail today.
My AF is coming up in October. If history is any indication with BOFA, they will not let me change card product type. I last tried switching a year ago and they would not allow it.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
To quote Eastbay 1K, this is a load of runny crap!!! The way things are going, AS is soon likely to plug up the sewer system!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
LOL. So basically this turns the AS BofA Visa into a bad joke.

I suppose it's nice that AS hasn't turned into the arm of a bank ala DL and AMEX, but I can't see why you'd get the BofA Visa as opposed to any number of other cards with more miles and better benefits.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
LOL. So basically this turns the AS BofA Visa into a bad joke.
Absolutely agree!!

The ONLY reason we used the card was for the Companion Fare for FC.

Since that's going away, so is the card.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; SWA Preferred A; Hilton Honors Diamond...
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

Just got my notice today. Both hubby and I have, or I should say HAD, accounts. One to be closed immediately and the other will be shortly! No thx Visa
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk.

Remember the "oops" webpage publishing this just a few months ago? Looks like "oops on the early release," because it was published using 3 different links at the time.

2 hits at the same time. I'm feeling the love.

And while we all have our various hits that hurt us the most, this may be it for me.

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:07 pm

Thought about getting rid of the card when they increased the companion fare from $50-$100, kept it because of the 1000 mile bonus and because at $100 it's still a good deal for FC. Without the bonus and FC match there's no point in paying the yearly fee. I'm definitely getting rid of the card now.

Side question for those who might know: do I have to be a current cardholder in order to use the companion fare? I'm not planning on using the fare until Christmas, and probably not purchasing until September or so. Can I get rid of the card and still use the fare, or should I hold onto it until after the trip has been booked?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave1013
To quote Eastbay 1K, this is a load of runny crap!!! The way things are going, AS is soon likely to plug up the sewer system!

These aren't chips anymore. The Eskimo has diarrhea.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Its not the end of the world...

This change will probably affect most of you down in "America" but this is still an amazing perk for those of us in #49. Many of you get the perks of paying $300 r/t to fly almost anywhere in the Lower 48, while $300 will barely get us to Anchorage and back. Just to fly to Florida, I'm looking at $850 roundtrip, while I'm paying only $320 roundtrip to fly from Seattle to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, it sucks they can't be used for First Class... but that doesn't make these worthless. Just worth LESS than before...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Maybe this is retribution for having lamented mightily about the checked baggage fees for upgraders?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:18 pm

Chip chip chip, b*tches!

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
This change will probably affect most of you down in "America" but this is still an amazing perk for those of us in #49. Many of you get the perks of paying $300 r/t to fly almost anywhere in the Lower 48, while $300 will barely get us to Anchorage and back. Just to fly to Florida, I'm looking at $850 roundtrip, while I'm paying only $320 roundtrip to fly from Seattle to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, it sucks they can't be used for First Class... but that doesn't make these worthless. Just worth LESS than before...
Dear fellow Juneauite - I hear ya. The sun will come up tomorrow despite this loss.

However, when you step back and take a look at the bigger picture ... well .... I can't help but feel like the proverbial frog that fell into the pot of water on the stove. Our Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, AS, turned on the heat but put it at a low setting. But each time a change was instituted, the heat got ratcheted up a smidge. Therefore, us frogs really didn't feel it too badly when they did away with the cookies .... and then took away the BR visitations when we weren't flying .... and then foisted the G/T no-can-upgrade switcheroo on us .... and then ix-nay'ed the 1,000 bonus for online ticket purchases .... and then today's masterpiece. I'm sure I missed a couple. Before we knew it, the water was boiling and we were thoroughly poached!

As you well know, here in Juneau don't have a choice for getting out of town save for the ferry. Until the road to Skagway gets built (Kevlar suit being donned).

Taken one at a time, yes, the world isn't about to end (Mayan lore notwithstanding). But compare where we are today versus a couple years ago. The difference is pretty substantial.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

They are now pretty much worthless for me. This cannot be sugar coated. Besides, they are sugar coating everything with so much "we are so wonderful" that we will all become diabetic, have a limb amputation or two, and then will be disabled enough to pre-board, which will give us a wonderful perk, pre-boarding, no matter where we sit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.