Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
Flying is NOT fun. You have to be there 2 hours early. You go through TSA which is slow and often times degrading. You can end up in a middle seat on a 737 flyings across the country which is scheduled to do it in 6 hours (when it only took 5 hours 20 years ago) to pad schedules to show on time arrivals. The flight is uncomfortable and there are no amenities.

Flying was appreciably "better" w/the companion certificate if you used it to book first class which is how I used it. Without the ability to use the companion certificate to fly first class, I gave up my B of A Alaska VISA cards and I'm giving up on Alaska. Still hope that they reverse course but if they can handle a 3 month pummeling and are showing no signs of course changes, I guess it's over.

I have to say, if that ONE single thing was the only thing keeping you on Alaska then I suppose it was destined to end at some point anyway. Sadly, for you, I don't think it will ever be over. You are going to be smarting from this decision for years to come. I hope that your new airline manages to keep you happy for years to come, sadly I don't think that's gonna happen.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I have to say, if that ONE single thing was the only thing keeping you on Alaska then I suppose it was destined to end at some point anyway. Sadly, for you, I don't think it will ever be over. You are going to be smarting from this decision for years to come. I hope that your new airline manages to keep you happy for years to come, sadly I don't think that's gonna happen.
Thank you for your kind sentiment and good wishes. Happily, I have a ton of FF miles because of all of the B of A VISA spending I've done over the years-the accounts that I've recently closed because of the companion certificate change-that I will be happy for years as I will be burning the miles instead of paying full fare First. Free flights for the indefinite future. YAY!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
Thank you for your kind sentiment and good wishes. Happily, I have a ton of FF miles because of all of the B of A VISA spending I've done over the years-the accounts that I've recently closed because of the companion certificate change-that I will be happy for years as I will be burning the miles instead of paying full fare First. Free flights for the indefinite future. YAY!
Free flights is WAY better than a $99 companion certificate!!!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:09 am
rln

Right, and the poster describes one of the root causes of dimunation of benefits: the racking up of tons of miles by credit card users who may or may not actually purchase airline tickets. So many miles are accumulated by so many people that, inflation being what it is, it costs more miles for a flight. Guess it doesn't hurt those who are accumulating so many miles on their credit cards. Heck, they are so well off, the "chipping away" which bothers so many others is of little consequence to them. So much for a little dose of populism and class warfare on a travel site.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rln
Right, and the poster describes one of the root causes of dimunation of benefits: the racking up of tons of miles by credit card users who may or may not actually purchase airline tickets. So many miles are accumulated by so many people that, inflation being what it is, it costs more miles for a flight. Guess it doesn't hurt those who are accumulating so many miles on their credit cards. Heck, they are so well off, the "chipping away" which bothers so many others is of little consequence to them. So much for a little dose of populism and class warfare on a travel site.
With respect, I think this post shows a lack of understanding about how airlines work. Alaska SELLS and gets $ for their miles, which Bank of America is happy to pay as it uses the miles to market its card. It's a win win unless Alaska or B of A do something that cause a whole bunch of people to quit their program and take their business elsewhere. The income derived from the credit card issuers is a big part of the airline's stream of income. If those of us who spent a lot of $ on their cards did not exist, Alaska will have to find the revenue someplace else, and it's likely the base price of a seat will go up. Bummer for the populists and a losing argument for your "class warfare".
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Browsing through the Alaska Air magazine today while flying ANC-SEA. The back of the magazine (what I call the movie/entertainment/where we fly sections) lists the benefits of the card including the companion ticket with no mention of a restriction on F class tickets. It reads as though the change never happened.

Also no hawking of the Visa card either. Second flight I've been on where that sales pitch didn't occur.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Seriously I must get at least $200-400 in value each year from the $99 cert. That means the card pays for itself and then some even if I don't charge a dime outside of Alaska airfare. The airfare savings would actually be higher except I have largely been successful in timing the fare sales for Mexico and Hawaii.

The other benefit are the frequent 0% cash/balance transfer offers though the 4% origination fee makes this less attractive than Chase (now @ 2%) and Citi (3%).

However I would agree with others that don't charge a dime to this card except for AS purchases because: (1) NO bonuses for gas, cars, hotels, restaurants etc -> NO incentive to use (2) Difficult to use AS miles at the lowest redemption level for awards to Mexico -> AS miles are not as valuable as AA or UA (3) Chase BA, SPG Amex and others offer more miles/points (and more valuable miles/points) for everyday spending.

So message to BofA is: I won't drop your card, but you won't make a dime off me on visa transaction fees from merchants.
Message to AS is: You won't be selling a lot of miles to BofA because redemption is too difficult. Also I am less likely to fly your airline because your credit card benefits are not comparable to UA and AA.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:54 am

So message to BofA is: I won't drop your card, but you won't make a dime off me on visa transaction fees from merchants.
Message to AS is: You won't be selling a lot of miles to BofA because redemption is too difficult. Also I am less likely to fly your airline because your credit card benefits are not comparable to UA and AA.[/QUOTE]

The companion certificate no longer works for me as I now will only fly Alaska PDX-S.Ca and it's not cost effective to have the card for those flights. The Chase Ink card gives you 5 miles per $1 spent on internet/cable/tv which remarkably in my case is $1000/month or 60,000 miles a year which is a First Class ticket on United amongst other airlines. This cannot be a good business decision for Alaska nor Bank of A.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
So we have lost this benefit, sad and shortsighted thinking really as a lot of us I know plan on where to use that great benefit thats no-so-great anymore..

Can BofA (whom we all helped bail out) maybe come up with SOMETHING to make this card competitive again? How about no foreign transaction fees ? I use a British Airways card for that when I am in Canada, Mexico or Europe but thats the only thing I use it for.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:10 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by RobinPDX
So we have lost this benefit, sad and shortsighted thinking really as a lot of us I know plan on where to use that great benefit thats no-so-great anymore..

Can BofA (whom we all helped bail out) maybe come up with SOMETHING to make this card competitive again? How about no foreign transaction fees ? I use a British Airways card for that when I am in Canada, Mexico or Europe but thats the only thing I use it for.
BofA just started a program where you can earn 3x miles on certain purchases up to 2,500 miles... I have two AS cards, so I got three different promos since spring...

The current one I have is for purchases made in department stores, book stores, toy stores, and one or two more types of stores.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just got a good one - restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores and gas stations.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got a good one - restaurants, grocery stores, drug stores and gas stations.
United Explorer card has a 30 or 40 or 50k sign up bonus (depending on when you pull the trigger, and if you get a 2nd card and a 10k spend w/in 3 or 6 months. Free first piece of checked luggage. 2 free passes to Red Carpet Club annually. Early boarding. First year fee waived so you could cancel it before ever paying it and keep the miles. I've been getting 1.5 miles on all purchases since 9/1. Lots of better cards than Alaska's BofA. www.boardingarea.com often highlights a blog or two about the relative merits of various credit cards out there.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL, UA, WN
I have one of the companion tickets that is valid for 1st class. It must be ticketed by Oct. 24th and I'm not going to use it. If anyone else can use it send a PM.
Dan
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by da1dan
I have one of the companion tickets that is valid for 1st class. It must be ticketed by Oct. 24th and I'm not going to use it. If anyone else can use it send a PM.
Dan
that's extremely nice of you. However, if it doesn't expire until October 24, 2013, you can book yourself and a companion first class NOW for some place or other out 11 months or so. There's a thread on how to do this least invasively but the gist of it is to find a very close destination...PDX-SEA or SFO-LAX so you don't mess up others. If in the interim between now and whenever you book it out to, you find that you can use it, since you are booked into first class, you can change the reservation for no fees and go where ever you want. I think you are very generous to offer it to others but it's worth value to you if you want to hang on to it. I only have one left and it's only for a companion coach flight which will likely prove worthless to me. Good luck!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Interesting offer out today on a Marriott credit card.... Some super benefits here such as free nights, no foreign transaction fees, 50,000 points and more. See below.

Thank you for your recent stay. Because you are one of our most valued Marriott RewardsŪ members, it is our pleasure to offer you the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card featuring an exclusive limited time offer. Apply by November 30, 2012, and after you spend $1,000 in 3 months you will earn 50,000 Marriott Rewards bonus points.*

Plus, you will also receive a free night stay after account approval* (Category 1-4) and an additional free night stay every year (Category 1-5) after your account anniversary date.*

As a Premier Cardmember, you'll also receive:

• Pay no foreign transaction fees and enjoy global acceptance with Smart Chip technology †
• 15 Nights Credit toward your next Elite membership level every year after your account anniversary.* Plus, earn an additional Elite Night Credit for every $3,000 you spend on the card.*
• Unlimited rewards accumulation including:

• 5 points for every $1 spent at over 3,600 MarriottŪ locations*

• 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets when purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants*

• 1 point for every $1 spent on purchases anywhere else*

Plus, apply now and the introductory annual fee is $0 for the first year; thereafter $85!†

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.