Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:40 pm

The way the script is phrased to intentionally mislead speaks volumes about integrity and the direction AS is heading.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by HikerT
The way the script is phrased to intentionally mislead speaks volumes about integrity and the direction AS is heading.
Pre Sept script perhaps? That's what it sounds like... (TPS report anyone )
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Pre Sept script perhaps? That's what it sounds like... (TPS report anyone )
Amazing what they come up with in the airline business now. My favorite remains the decision by American Airlines to remove the olives from their dinner salads. So petty in the big scheme of things (just like Alaska's decision on the companion ticket). Of course, years after the "olive decision", look where American is heading.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Amazing what they come up with in the airline business now. My favorite remains the decision by American Airlines to remove the olives from their dinner salads. So petty in the big scheme of things (just like Alaska's decision on the companion ticket). Of course, years after the "olive decision", look where American is heading.
It sure didn't help American stay out of bankruptcy. No indication Alaska is going to reverse its recent course changes. I am really interested to see if Alaska's recent decisions and its impact on customer loyalty results in reduced revenue. It certainly will from me...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
It sure didn't help American stay out of bankruptcy. No indication Alaska is going to reverse its recent course changes. I am really interested to see if Alaska's recent decisions and its impact on customer loyalty results in reduced revenue. It certainly will from me...
Many of us really don't have much of a choice. AS does have a powerful network on the West Coast.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I don't think the FT audience is indicative of the general flying public. Keep in mind that roughly half of those flying AS (as I recall) don't belong to its frequent flier program.

And the companion cert changes may result in changes in credit card loyalty and behavior, but not necessarily flying behavior. Confounding the two may lead to poor conclusions.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:38 pm

You do realize that the whole olive thing happened back in the 80's, right? I certainly wouldn't correlate that with their bankruptcy filing in any way.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
You do realize that the whole olive thing happened back in the 80's, right? I certainly wouldn't correlate that with their bankruptcy filing in any way.
Remember the size of Portage Glacier back then? It starts with an olive!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Remember the size of Portage Glacier back then? It starts with an olive!
Exactly! It can take a long time but it is very indicative of the mindset that permeates the industry from the 1980s on. Not only olives but pillows, blankets, baggage fees, charging for food, fees to talk to an agent on the phone, etc. From the olive the road leads to charging for "premium seats", fees to seat families together, and who knows what else. More and more, customer satisfaction is sometimes given lip service in deference to the financial bottom line.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Exactly! It can take a long time but it is very indicative of the mindset that permeates the industry from the 1980s on. Not only olives but pillows, blankets, baggage fees, charging for food, fees to talk to an agent on the phone, etc. From the olive the road leads to charging for "premium seats", fees to seat families together, and who knows what else. More and more, customer satisfaction is sometimes given lip service in deference to the financial bottom line.
It is indicative of what the flying public wants: cheap fares. You don't get something for nothing.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:27 am

You should probably start at deregulation then, when the playing field was leveled for all airlines and they were forced to start competing with each other for who offered the lowest fare, rather than who had the best inflight meals and most inflight amenities. THAT is when the real backslide started. You can't maintain those amenities while still giving the U.S. traveling public what they want most - cheap, affordable fares.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
You should probably start at deregulation then, when the playing field was leveled for all airlines and they were forced to start competing with each other for who offered the lowest fare, rather than who had the best inflight meals and most inflight amenities. THAT is when the real backslide started. You can't maintain those amenities while still giving the U.S. traveling public what they want most - cheap, affordable fares.
Perhaps it's just the nostalgia in me for the days when flying used to be fun and something you looked forward to doing. Guess I'm showing my age!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Perhaps it's just the nostalgia in me for the days when flying used to be fun and something you looked forward to doing. Guess I'm showing my age!
Flying is still fun. You just get to fly from point A to B for a fraction of what you used to.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Flying is still fun. You just get to fly from point A to B for a fraction of what you used to.
True enough. And the fraction for flying to and from JNU may be ~0.95. Or greater.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Flying is NOT fun. You have to be there 2 hours early. You go through TSA which is slow and often times degrading. You can end up in a middle seat on a 737 flyings across the country which is scheduled to do it in 6 hours (when it only took 5 hours 20 years ago) to pad schedules to show on time arrivals. The flight is uncomfortable and there are no amenities.

Flying was appreciably "better" w/the companion certificate if you used it to book first class which is how I used it. Without the ability to use the companion certificate to fly first class, I gave up my B of A Alaska VISA cards and I'm giving up on Alaska. Still hope that they reverse course but if they can handle a 3 month pummeling and are showing no signs of course changes, I guess it's over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.