Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I just got an e-mail solicitation for the Card, 40,000 mile bonus, and they CLEARLY state (finally!) that the companion ticket is coach only:

Go More Places … Like Hawaii
Earn Up to 40,000 Bonus Miles*

Request the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card and on approval you will receive 25,000 Bonus Miles* plus an additional 15,000 Bonus Miles after you make purchases of at least $7,500 within the first six months.

Use these Bonus Miles, plus taxes and fees from $2.50 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary, towards a round-trip award ticket to Hawaii or any other Alaska Airlines destination.

You'll also get these great additional benefits with the Visa Signature® card.
An annual coach Companion Fare from $110† (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $11 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary)
3 miles for every $1 spent on Alaska Airlines tickets, Vacation Packages, on-board products, and Cargo purchases
1 mile for every $1 spent on all other purchases
The results are in at blog.frequentflyer.com and of the 11 banks that are rated for Credit Cards, B of A comes in 9th-which is surprisingly high all things being equal.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:48 pm

Edit: Asked this in the wrong thread, me thinks. Sorry, thought I was typing into the CC thread, not CP thread.

Hi guys:

I looked through the first page and the last 10-12 pages (plus google search) and could not find he reconsideration number. Does anyone have it? Thanks much!

Found it on Darius' site:

Bank Of America Credit Card Reconsideration

866-458-8805 connects directly to a credit analyst
877-721-9405 – application status press 3

Last edited by leftpinky; Sep 8, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Old Sep 10, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
AS flt 30 PDX-BOS on 8/22/2012 the FA still is saying "on any fare". No exclusion of "F" fares. I thought about correcting the FA, but it is simply not worth my breath. Ska*k of America and AS have totally made this piece of plastic totally worthless.
Alaska has concluded that once the dust settles and this thread isn't on page one of its flyertalk page("EVERYONE REMAIN CALM!!!!" Kevin Bacon in 'Animal House') there will be no impact to its bottom line. I hope they are proven horribly wrong and it costs them a bundle in lost customers and lost $ from B of A, and they therefore apologize and re-instate the program as it was-w/companion fares for all classes of service and a mileage bonus for reinstating our cancelled cards.

I doubt that will happen but I'm still hoping. For me, they destroyed the good will they had built up over 25 years all in one swoop! Awaiting a reversal of course, I'm off to other carriers and other credit cards. Best to all.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I hope there isn't a mileage bonus for those of you who cancelled cards - the mileage bonus should be for those of us that didn't jump ship!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
I hope there isn't a mileage bonus for those of you who cancelled cards - the mileage bonus should be for those of us that didn't jump ship!
I know I've kept my card since I feel a certainly loyalty to the airline I've flown since 1972. Still, I remain unhappy with the decision to drop the first class option since it seems quite petty and can't make that much of an impact on Alaska Airlines profits.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:15 pm

They dumped us. Some of us responded in kind.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
They dumped us. Some of us responded in kind.
They didn't "dump you". They changed the terms of the bonus offers with their credit card. You dumped them. That was certainly your prerogative and I respect you or others right to do what is best for themselves. Alaska didn't "dump" anyone. They made a change to their card and it no longer suited you. The card is one facet of the airline though - they still offer a pretty decent product. Apparently though, the card was the most important piece of that for you and it no longer works. For others, the card isn't the sole reason they fly Alaska and many will continue to fly them. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
They didn't "dump you". They changed the terms of the bonus offers with their credit card. You dumped them. That was certainly your prerogative and I respect you or others right to do what is best for themselves. Alaska didn't "dump" anyone. They made a change to their card and it no longer suited you. The card is one facet of the airline though - they still offer a pretty decent product. Apparently though, the card was the most important piece of that for you and it no longer works. For others, the card isn't the sole reason they fly Alaska and many will continue to fly them. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Actually, as has been noted throughout this stream, Alaska has so significantly chipped away at any and all benefits provided by its VISA card that it's hard for me to believe it has value to anyone. You are nonetheless correct in noting that the airline is more than its card. I should have been more precise in my post.Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
... it's hard for me to believe it has value to anyone.
Bit of an overstatement? I get several hundred dollars of value off the coach companion ticket each year. Unless you never, ever fly coach, that's value. I would love to know of other ways to save that kind of money off a ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by czpdx
Bit of an overstatement? I get several hundred dollars of value off the coach companion ticket each year. Unless you never, ever fly coach, that's value. I would love to know of other ways to save that kind of money off a ticket.
I agree. In the heat of the moment I too was miffed about this change. Especially when combined with the loss of the 1,000 mile ticket purchase bonus and when the comp cert was raised from $50 to $99. Then I calmed down and started crunching numbers. I charge a MINIMUM of $5,000/mo on my card with $1,000 of that to AS. That comes to 7,000 miles/month or 84,000 miles/year. That's 3 free Y r/t transcons, 2 free Y r/t to Europe on AA, or even 1 free Y r/t to Australia. And then throw in the Y comp cert, it's still a sweet deal for me and one that I cannot find bettered by another card.

We all just need to decide what works best for us whether that is sticking with this card or moving to another.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:21 pm
AAL

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
We all just need to decide what works best for us whether that is sticking with this card or moving to another.
Or a combination of both. I cancelled one of my BofA cards and opened a Starwood SPG Amex card instead. But for the many places that don't take Amex, for the extra miles for AS ticket purchases, and for the companion ticket that saves me hundreds of dollars, I'm keeping a BofA card.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by BOB W
AS flt 30 PDX-BOS on 8/22/2012 the FA still is saying "on any fare". No exclusion of "F" fares...
Same thing happened on SEA-MFR last week, although I think she said "on any published fare." She certainly did not say anything about it being limited to coach. Maybe they figure people won't notice.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Just because some of you decide to keep the card doesn't mean you're showing much loyalty to AS. My understanding (and happy to be corrected by someone more in the know) is the major upside of this card to the airline is the non-AS volume you charge. If you keep it for the companion cert and the occasional AS ticket purchase (or that $10 on-board Digiplayer!), I don't believe AS is raking in the dough. Therefore, if the above logic is reasonably on target, then the loyalty proposition as far as the credit card goes is which card you are using for all other purchases.

Also, even if you could eke out $250-1000 a year in benefits using the AS card, that needs to be balanced against the benefits (that are valuable to you) that could be earned with another credit card. Subtract a basic cash back card, and the above amount is reduced substantially. Combined that with the dismal customer service and brand mgmt at BoA, and the value proposition of the AS BoA Signature card falls short for me.

I have always maintained that Alaska has been slowly losing *one* of its greatest competitive advantages...the fierce loyalty and word of mouth marketing from hard-core travellers like myself. While difficult to quantify, I would think this is much more of a long-term loss to the brand than my annual charge volume on the Signature card.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ExecTraveler
Just because some of you decide to keep the card doesn't mean you're showing much loyalty to AS. My understanding (and happy to be corrected by someone more in the know) is the major upside of this card to the airline is the non-AS volume you charge. If you keep it for the companion cert and the occasional AS ticket purchase (or that $10 on-board Digiplayer!), I don't believe AS is raking in the dough. Therefore, if the above logic is reasonably on target, then the loyalty proposition as far as the credit card goes is which card you are using for all other purchases.
I used to charge about $2,000 a month (often more) on my AS Visa. With two other cards in my wallet that give double points on everyday spending (restaurants, groceries, gas, etc.), though, that volume has dwindled to almost nil. The loss of the companion cert benefit (which I don't use for first class, but which angers me out of solidarity with my fellow FlyerTalk members) and booking bonus didn't affect that for me.

Originally Posted by ExecTraveler
I have always maintained that Alaska has been slowly losing *one* of its greatest competitive advantages...the fierce loyalty and word of mouth marketing from hard-core travellers like myself. While difficult to quantify, I would think this is much more of a long-term loss to the brand than my annual charge volume on the Signature card.
Absolutely. I have communicated this to both Joe Sprague and Rick Rasmussen. I don't know if the message was fully heard and understood, though. I suspect one of two things, though: Joe and Rick agree with me but these decisions are coming down from above their heads and they are powerless or they have actively decided that the changes are better for them than the costs the changes are having in terms of loyalty and goodwill. I am not sure which of those is true.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Cancelled 2 cards today

I called B of A today and cancelled both my Wife and I's cards... (actually moved over to a B of A Cash Back card with no annual fee)
I've had the AS visa for many years so by moving to another product, I kept the credit history without having to pay the annual fee.

I agree with the above posters that the card was not EVERYTHING for the airline... there are some good things. We'll see tonight. I'm flying PDX-ANC-FAI...

However, even though I didn't use the companion certificate very often for F class travel, it was the principle, along with all the other cuts recently, I had to move on. I feel good that I showed with my business what matters to me. Also, using British Airways Avios, you can get similar mileage seats, so if I still needed to fly AS on mileage, I could use Avios from Chase Ultimate Rewards.
I can't say enough about how pleased I am about the Ultimate Rewards program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.