Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by jonfriedman
complete corporate nonsense!
Do the people who write these replies to customers also have any training in writing talking point for politicians? I wonder if it is difficult for people to write these "feel good" responses that comply with the corporate line?

Last edited by ChugiakAk; Aug 15, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, they should stop feeling themselves and start feeling their customers, instead.
That would be an unnecessary duplication of resources, since TSA already does that.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:46 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
wow 40 pages later eh... People like myself must still be pretty mad. So anyhow I had a question that came to mind.....does this lame companion fare still work with instant upgradable fares when available for golds and a companion still work or did they axe that too? Not that there are 2 seats with instant upgrade open right after a purchase to Hawaii or EWR
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The whole thing is silly. They control inventory, so it can simply be restricted. Each year, I have bought a F/C RT companion fare between Newark and Seattle. At current rates, that still breaks down to around $900 per seat. I have to believe those numbers compare favorably with discounted Cruise fares, and negotiated corporate rates. It's senseless for them to annoy good customers, especially when they have full control.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood
More gibberish!

Today's mail brings a 3 page letter from the "Customer Satisfaction Department" of B of A stating "As your account anniversary approaches, we want to thank you for being a valued Alaska credit card customer." It then goes on to tout the card and misdirects the consumer re its Annual Companion Fare from $110-it says 0 that it's only for coach but rather gives a head fake by putting an asterisk at the end of the paragraph which causes you to read the footnote where it states "See terms and conditions..."which presumably says Coach only.
This would be a little less funny if I hadn't closed the account and destroyed the associated cards several weeks ago.

"Customer Satisfaction Department"-----wow!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
It's past my anniversary, but I got a "lovely" communique telling me "Congratulations, As a valued customer (of the Visa card), you get great benefits and more"...but they don't even have the decency to mention the no more First Class companion ticket...they just footnote it to say to go to www.alaskaair.com/myaccount and click on "My Discount Codes".

And what are these Visa Signature Card "Events" (my paren) that I'm now supposedly invited to?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:33 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And what are these Visa Signature Card "Events" (my paren) that I'm now supposedly invited to?
Visa will rent out a restaurant and have invitation only dinners with a special menu/wine pairing/ entertainment...etc. Or movie screenings... that kind of thing.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Seriously? That is too funny. So how do you get an actual invitation (as opposed to having "access")...and I'm sure they are located nowhere near where I am, but you never know...I just might use my Alaska Airlines B of A Signature Visa card with 3x the miles to get there...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Wife and I got a "robocall" this morning offering us a special deal to lower our AkAir BA card interest rate to 6.9%. Instructions were to call now - we deleted it instead
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
Wife and I got a "robocall" this morning offering us a special deal to lower our AkAir BA card interest rate to 6.9%. Instructions were to call now - we deleted it instead
How long before B of A's right hand tells its left hand that we have closed our accounts and don't need further letters from the Customer Satisfaction Department (which is as 1984 as it gets) or, robocalls, or any further contacts?
Just wonderin.....
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It took me two tries to get my BofA account closed (they messed up the first attempt). They aren't so swift on the uptake.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Dumped my AS BOA Visa too. This move by Alaska reminds me something US Air would pull. Pretty sad. Good news is now BOA gets zero dollars a year from me.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Visa will rent out a restaurant and have invitation only dinners with a special menu/wine pairing/ entertainment...etc. Or movie screenings... that kind of thing.
Indeed. A couple of years ago I got 2 free tickets to a screening of Tron. I caught the invite in one of AS's insider newsletters (I think it was just for AS Visa holders). I also constantly get 20% off or 2 for 1 offers with Fandango.

Overall, I think Visa does a lousy job of advertising the perks that come with a Signature card.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:20 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Seriously? That is too funny. So how do you get an actual invitation (as opposed to having "access")...and I'm sure they are located nowhere near where I am, but you never know...I just might use my Alaska Airlines B of A Signature Visa card with 3x the miles to get there...
I think they send emails to people in the area of the event. I know they had a dinner here in Seattle at Canlis. It was $75 a head to get in. Normally a dinner at Canlis is going cost easily double that.

www.visa.com/visa_signature
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
I think they send emails to people in the area of the event. I know they had a dinner here in Seattle at Canlis. It was $75 a head to get in. Normally a dinner at Canlis is going cost easily double that.

www.visa.com/visa_signature
Visa Signature is available on virtually every airline affiliated card and all offer similar deals/"steals" like paying only $75 for a dinner that Canlis which could easily cost twice as much. Hmmm. Not good enough. Glad I closed the accounts-all of em. Hope Alaska reverses its decision and actually makes its card something special. Right now, it's worthless.

Deals like $75/head for a dinner at Canlis or a free ticket to Tron don't justify my continuing to pay a full fare first class fare on top of a companion fare(which I can no longer do) nor the $5,000 + B of A was realizing from the 2-3% skim off my cards. A dumb corporate decision that will cost everyone something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.