Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Closing accounts

I closed out by BofA Alaska card and it sounded like the CSR had dealt with quite a few people like me when I cited the change in first class companion ticket rules. Not very surprising due to the amount of unhappiness over the new rule. He said that had been the topic of most of the calls he had fielded that day. I wonder how much business is being lost? Did not seem surprised or have any trouble converting over to a no fee card (to preserve history and credit lines as well).

Originally Posted by jonfriedman
After 1.5 hours talking to B of A people, I was able to close my 2 consumer accounts and have them converted to a card with no annual fee and cash rewards (to preserve the lines of credit and my long duration w/them). As to the 2 business cards, they say that they cannot do the same and I would have to close the accounts and reapply through Telesales. Unlike Chase, they do not have a conversion department. So, those cards will simply be closed.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
I closed out by BofA Alaska card and it sounded like the CSR had dealt with quite a few people like me when I cited the change in first class companion ticket rules. Not very surprising due to the amount of unhappiness over the new rule. He said that had been the topic of most of the calls he had fielded that day. I wonder how much business is being lost? Did not seem surprised or have any trouble converting over to a no fee card (to preserve history and credit lines as well).

After 1.5 hours talking to B of A people, I was able to close my 2 consumer accounts and have them converted to a card with no annual fee and cash rewards (to preserve the lines of credit and my long duration w/them). As to the 2 business cards, they say that they cannot do the same and I would have to close the accounts and reapply through Telesales. Unlike Chase, they do not have a conversion department. So, those cards will simply be closed.
Hmm so what is this card everyone is converting to?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa

In my case, BECU. Keeping any BofA card still means dealing with BofA customer service, as I've outlined elsewhere.

But I did keep one of my two AS VISA cards in the hope that BofA customer service somehow improves before renewal.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd

In my case, BECU. Keeping any BofA card still means dealing with BofA customer service, as I've outlined elsewhere.

But I did keep one of my two AS VISA cards in the hope that BofA customer service somehow improves before renewal.
Correct- specifically for those who are keeping a BoA fee free card to maintain CC history.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: alaska, united, air france, lufthansa,delta, starwood

I got a Chase Ink card which gave me a 20k sign up bonus + another 20k w/a $3k spend in the first 90 days good on several airlines and hotels. I also got the Chase Sapphire card with a 25k bonus + another 25k w/a $9 spend in the first 90 days. The Sapphire card gives you 5 miles per dollar spent on:internet, TV, and telephone which given my business use of cell phones and internet will be worth another 50,000 miles a year. YAY
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Glad my GF got her card & cert prior to the change. Now we just have to figure out when to go to Hawaii in F with the cert
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:26 am

Correct- specifically for those who are keeping a BoA fee free card to maintain CC history.
You can, if you have a tremendous amount of time on your hands, get B of A to convert the Alaska VISA to a B of A cash back visa which has no annual fee and maintains your CC history. Of course, the 1.5 hours I spent on the phone 3 days ago proved to be just the started. I was told in that conversation it was done but I just received a call congratulating me on the conversion from B of A who said it had been converted today. Talk about bad customer service.....
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:06 pm

This is really bad news and makes the card worth much less to me. When you add the $75 annual fee to $110, you are essentially paying $185 for the opportunity to get a companion ticket that would be worth more than this. Some years your plans don't always dovetail with another travel companion so this would be money thrown away.

My wife and I are not big fans of first class, but we have flown first class a few times now when using the voucher since these are often the only seats left on the plane. For us, it has made certain trips possible that otherwise would have been out of our reach. Sadly no more.

Aside from this disappointment, I have also been exceedingly disappointed in the ability to use AS miles on partner airlines as advertised. Yeah, yeah, I know there are some really dedicated folks who have unlimited flexibility and can make use of this offer, but every time I punch in some flight that I should have enough miles for, it comes back with no availability.

I may be cancelling this card soon unfortunately. Mileage programs of all stripes have been dropping in actual, practical, redeemable value for years. Time for a basic no fee, low interest card from now on.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by on_board2
Aside from this disappointment, I have also been exceedingly disappointed in the ability to use AS miles on partner airlines as advertised. Yeah, yeah, I know there are some really dedicated folks who have unlimited flexibility and can make use of this offer, but every time I punch in some flight that I should have enough miles for, it comes back with no availability.
I know this is getting somewhat OT, but the partner booking engine isn't all that great, and if you call, you're much more likely to get partner award space, especially with a sharp agent that knows best routings, connections, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I know this is getting somewhat OT, but the partner booking engine isn't all that great, and if you call, you're much more likely to get partner award space, especially with a sharp agent that knows best routings, connections, etc.

Getting that sharp agent is much easier said than done though.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Getting that sharp agent is much easier said than done though.
The ability to look at one direction at a time rather than have to put in individual round trip combinations makes up for some lacking in sharpness
Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:37 pm

This is really bad news and makes the card worth much less to me. When you add the $75 annual fee to $110, you are essentially paying $185 for the opportunity to get a companion ticket that would be worth more than this. Some years your plans don't always dovetail with another travel companion so this would be money thrown away.

I may be cancelling this card soon unfortunately. Mileage programs of all stripes have been dropping in actual, practical, redeemable value for years. Time for a basic no fee, low interest card from now on.
In another act of B of A malfeasance, the Alaska VISA business card I cancelled last week has arisen from the ashes. They mailed me a brand new one I received today. I destroyed it too.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:00 am

This thread has had 566 replies and close to 31,000 views making it into the top 5 of all threads on the Alaska Flyertalk page. Think anybody at Alaska is monitoring this and/or cares? I suspect they are waiting for the dust to settle and have a wait it out plan. Perhaps once the revenue is lost along w/the customers who maintained these accounts Alaska will reconsider. Hope so. So long Alaska, it's been a good and long ride but it's all over now....
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Think anybody at Alaska is monitoring this and/or cares?
I think they are monitoring. If they weren't monitoring, they probably wouldn't be reconsidering the baggage check fees for upgraders (for example).

The revenue associated with that management action pales in contrast to what they will save by doing away with F tickets bought with companion fare discount codes. That pretty much sums it up, in my view.

They probably don't care - and - I feel it's highly unlikely there will be any turning back on this chip-chip-chip.

Deep down inside I always felt it was a benefit that was "too good to be true" and would someday go on the chopping block.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dave1013
The revenue associated with that management action pales in contrast to what they will save by doing away with F tickets bought with companion fare discount codes. That pretty much sums it up, in my view.

They probably don't care - and - I feel it's highly unlikely there will be any turning back on this chip-chip-chip.

Deep down inside I always felt it was a benefit that was "too good to be true" and would someday go on the chopping block.
I think they might be:

A) Overestimating the number of people who will buy multiple F seats without the companion fare. I imagine the vast majority of those seats that were 1/2 F full fare, will be replaced with either cheap-o cash upgrades or non-revenue enhancing upgrades to elites.

B) Underestimating the number of people that used the AS Visa solely because of the companion fares and bonus. There really is no reason to carry the card anymore. Even people like my Dad who has ZERO knowledge of how to best game the system is canceling the card. That's going to be significant credit card revenue lost by both B of A and AS.

C) Underestimating what effect it will have on that 2% they speak of. IMO, they took away the most beneficial part of the Mileage Plan. Mileage Plan's create loyalty. I now have little to no loyalty to AS... and that's not hyperbole. They better be ultra competitive price-wise going forward... or they've lost my business, and many more like me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.