Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st, 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Your original quote from AS FB page states (emphasis mine) that as long as your new cert is issued prior to August 1st, it will be valid until it expires to be used towards first class; i.e. it is when your certificate is issued, not when you make your booking, that makes the difference. You should be able to tell with relative certainty when it will be issued - look in your account and see when your last one was issued; should be a year (+/- a couple of days) later.
Yes I mistyped. Further, I had my dates mixed up, my BOA anniversary is in January while my AS anniversary was in July. So looks like no more F companion codes. Time to call BOA once I find a replacement card.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
...Additionally, as an MVP Gold, you can still use your benefits to upgrade to First Class when traveling on a companion fare ticket....
This is OK if you're willing to try your luck in the upgrade crapshoot that takes place in the days and hours just before your flight -- maybe the 75Ks will do well. But if you want to get seats in F right off the bat using a companion cert then you have to hope that they will make U space available. Not holding my breath on that.

The cynic in me wonders whether they are thinking they'll effectively issue a challenge to some marginal elites this way: You can no longer use the 50% F mileage bonus on companion fare tickets to get over the top to renew your status so you have to fly more or spend more than in the past to qualify.

Edited to add: The above quote from AKLifetimeFlyer is something he got from the AS FB page. I didn't mean to make it look as if he were defending AS.

Last edited by Westcoaster; Jul 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
$110 Companion Ticket Valid for COACH class only - Effective August 1st

Methinks your cynic is right on point.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

My anniversary date is in July, so hopefully I get my discount code in enough time to book F with it...
Same here....

Mine annual fee posted last year on July 28th..... I wonder if I'll get the cert posted at that time as well.

Last edited by david55; Jul 7, 2012 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by dave1013
Maybe this is retribution for having lamented mightily about the checked baggage fees for upgraders?
Interesting thought... sucks anyway you look at it
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Glad I didn't get the AS card this year. Hello WN Visa (once they offer another good signup bonus).

Now, will the flight attendants please stop hawking this card during the flight?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Now, will the flight attendants please stop hawking this card during the flight?
HA - I think they get credit of sorts when you sign up and their code is on the app.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog

I plan on loudly declining when the FA's do this, and I may even go so far as to talk other pax out of signing up.

My next flight isn't for 10 days but I plan on seeing if the FA's will admit the companion tickets are valid for Y travel only.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I plan on loudly declining when the FA's do this, and I may even go so far as to talk other pax out of signing up.

My next flight isn't for 10 days but I plan on seeing if the FA's will admit the companion tickets are valid for Y travel only.
Admit? They will read their script. If they don't "admit" it, it isn't their fault.

Don't interfere with a crew at work. You never know what dark road it can lead to. A friendly "did you know how badly your company gutted these card benefits?" is a lot better than a "loudly declining."
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Admit? They will read their script. If they don't "admit" it, it isn't their fault.

Don't interfere with a crew at work. You never know what dark road it can lead to. A friendly "did you know how badly your company gutted these card benefits?" is a lot better than a "loudly declining."
This is more along the lines of what I would actually say
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Yes, it sucks they can't be used for First Class... but that doesn't make these worthless. Just worth LESS than before...
For us spoiled brats out here who won't fly coach, the card IS now totally worthless.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They are now pretty much worthless for me. This cannot be sugar coated.
So what is your alternative?
How do you intend to get a 2nd Y ticket for only $110 anywhere Alaskan flies?

It still seems of value when there is no other way to get a 2nd ticket for hundreds of dollars off the "retail" price.

Sure you'd like to still get a 2nd FC ticket for $110, but really,it's suddenly not worth it at all?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2

Sure you'd like to still get a 2nd FC ticket for $110, but really,it's suddenly not worth it at all?
If you never fly Y, then it is suddenly not worth it...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Ouch. I'm not sure whether I'm happy my card anniversary is coming up (so I can cancel) or whether I'm sad that my card anniversary is coming up (so I'll be too late to get another companion ticket in time)...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tattikat2
So what is your alternative?
How do you intend to get a 2nd Y ticket for only $110 anywhere Alaskan flies?

It still seems of value when there is no other way to get a 2nd ticket for hundreds of dollars off the "retail" price.

I'm not going to get a 2nd ticket. We just won't go, or we'll go if I can get U space when booking. Or, we'll fly another airline with a better price.

For the most part, the only flights I'm not confirmed in a premium cabin in at the time of booking are flights that are 1000 miles or less from home.

It looks likely that only one of us will have AS status in 2014. And, most of that, at the rate things are going, will be from paid premium international travel on another carrier. And if anything further happens, who knows where I'll decide to bank those miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.