Search

Hot towels in first class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hot towels in first class

[New thread started for this and subsequent posts since topic had drifted in the previous thread...Eastbay1K was responding to this post. -jackal, Co-Moderator, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum]

I wonder why the hot towels are at the end, and not the beginning, of the flight (if it has to be one or the other). I find myself wanting to wipe off the newsprint, (or perhaps the PDB has spilled ), before the start of service. It often results in a trip to the lav to wash my hands before I open the bag of "Crunchy" or "Savory" or "Island."

Last edited by jackal; Jul 4, 2012 at 11:38 pm
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I'm not sure, but the evening ANC-LAX, AS156 departing at about 5pm, did have the hot towel shortly before landing when I flew it earlier this month. It seems like a red-eye is the perfect flight to have it on, so really odd that they wouldn't.
Exactly. I would actually prefer it on the night flights than on the day flights. If I'm awake, I usually feel OK upon deplaning. But if I sleep during the flight, I find that I feel a bit grimy upon awaking. At least until the BRs all get showers in them, having hot towel service on early morning arrivals would certainly help one to seize the day...

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I wonder why the hot towels are at the end, and not the beginning, of the flight (if it has to be one or the other). I find myself wanting to wipe off the newsprint, (or perhaps the PDB has spilled ), before the start of service. It often results in a trip to the lav to wash my hands before I open the bag of "Crunchy" or "Savory" or "Island."
When I first flew Continental up front, I had the opposite reaction (CO, for those who don't know, does the hot towel service at the beginning of the flight). I realize it makes sense to allow the passengers to freshen up before dinner, but I've gotten pretty used to having it at the end so I can get off the plane feeling a bit fresher and not as worse for the wear.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:58 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jackal
When I first flew Continental up front, I had the opposite reaction (CO, for those who don't know, does the hot towel service at the beginning of the flight). I realize it makes sense to allow the passengers to freshen up before dinner, but I've gotten pretty used to having it at the end so I can get off the plane feeling a bit fresher and not as worse for the wear.
My most recent Transcon redeye with UA on LAX-IAD, we had hot towel service before the snack service. Then they served the chicken and pasta snack along with a bowl of fruit, cheese, etc. Then warm cookie afterwards. Prior to arrival they did the towel service again and passed out warm scones.

AS needs to step up its game on redyes, IMO.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
At least until the BRs all get showers in them, having hot towel service on early morning arrivals would certainly help one to seize the day...
I think you'll be waiting for a long time for showers in the BR's. I don't see that happening. Heck, I'd like to have a bit more recline in the F seats for sleeping (lord knows AS has enough Hawaii and transcon red-eyes to give a bit more recline, even if it means an extra inch or two of pitch.)

Originally Posted by golfingboy
My most recent Transcon redeye with UA on LAX-IAD, we had hot towel service before the snack service. Then they served the chicken and pasta snack along with a bowl of fruit, cheese, etc. Then warm cookie afterwards. Prior to arrival they did the towel service again and passed out warm scones.

AS needs to step up its game on redyes, IMO.
Quite agree, though it's clear that AS is doing "low cost F"
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
Quite agree, though it's clear that AS is doing "low cost F"
Checking fares for UA LAX-IAD, it looks like F is 1337.00 one way. AS LAX-DCA is 784.80 one way. I think you're right - AS is doing "low cost" F.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Checking fares for UA LAX-IAD, it looks like F is 1337.00 one way. AS LAX-DCA is 784.80 one way. I think you're right - AS is doing "low cost" F.
For $552.80 AS could offer "hot towel service before the snack service. Then chicken and pasta snack along with a bowl of fruit, cheese, etc. Then warm cookie afterwards. Prior to arrival the towel service again and passed out warm scones. " for everyone in F. That is the price difference (for one ticket) between the two prices you quoted.

AS offers some cheese, (not enough) table water crackers for the cheese, a couple of berries on departure. A hot towel and sometimes you actually get the pastry of choice prior to arrival, but not very often in my experience.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
For $552.80 AS could offer "hot towel service before the snack service. Then chicken and pasta snack along with a bowl of fruit, cheese, etc. Then warm cookie afterwards. Prior to arrival the towel service again and passed out warm scones. " for everyone in F. That is the price difference (for one ticket) between the two prices you quoted.

AS offers some cheese, (not enough) table water crackers for the cheese, a couple of berries on departure. A hot towel and sometimes you actually get the pastry of choice prior to arrival, but not very often in my experience.
That's my point. There's a $550 difference. For that, UA should be doing something fantastic to make it worth the extra money. I can't speak for the rest of you but I can live without chicken and pasta and an extra hot towel for that kind of savings. As far as the pastry goes, there's never a choice on the all nighters. It's one kind for everyone. The only reason you might not get it is if you were sleeping and didnt wake up with enough time to have it before landing.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
That's my point. There's a $550 difference. For that, UA should be doing something fantastic to make it worth the extra money. I can't speak for the rest of you but I can live without chicken and pasta and an extra hot towel for that kind of savings. As far as the pastry goes, there's never a choice on the all nighters. It's one kind for everyone. The only reason you might not get it is if you were sleeping and didnt wake up with enough time to have it before landing.
I couldn't care less about the food. But AS F seats don't recline enough to sleep. And there is no pillow or blanket. They can pass out a pastry at 10,000 feet, or even on taxi. It's not like a pastry can do any damage.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
I couldn't care less about the food. But AS F seats don't recline enough to sleep. And there is no pillow or blanket. They can pass out a pastry at 10,000 feet, or even on taxi. It's not like a pastry can do any damage.

No they can't pass out a pastry at 10,000 feet or on taxi. The FAA requires all service items be collected for take-off and landing. At 10,000 feet and during taxi the Flight Attendants are supposed to be performing duties related to safety only. Otherwise they are supposed to be in their seats. Safety could mean picking up service items but not passing them out.

While I too miss pillows and blankets, I could buy a small one in the Host airport gift shop for about $540 less than the fare difference between a UA ticket and an AS ticket. As for the recline of the seats, I can't say. I haven't been on a UA plane in a long time and have no idea how far back their seats go.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I think he meant to say that for a lot less than that difference AS could add the very few minor touches to bring the service more in line with the competition. Extra hot towels, pillows, blankets, and a more substantial meal would likely cost AS less than $5 per passenger--and maybe less than that.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
I think he meant to say that for a lot less than that difference AS could add the very few minor touches to bring the service more in line with the competition. Extra hot towels, pillows, blankets, and a more substantial meal would likely cost AS less than $5 per passenger--and maybe less than that.
That was exactly my point.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:50 am

Why would Alaska bring the service "more in line with the competition" and not charge what the competition is charging? That makes no sense at all. Alaska's First Class product is often a lot less expensive than the competition. If you want all those bells and whistles then you have the option of paying $500 or $600 more and having those. If you want a more "affordable" First Class product then you have the option of flying on Alaska. It may not offer extra hot towels, pillows, blankets or a more substantial meal but they also don't charge you an arm and a leg when compared to the other airlines. I might also add that, compared to the limited First Class competition along the west coast, Alaska has a very competitive (and in MOST cases, better) product. Before someone brings up Virgin America check out their fares.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Why would Alaska bring the service "more in line with the competition" and not charge what the competition is charging? That makes no sense at all.
Well, yes and no. I partially agree with you. My expectation would be that AS sells a higher % of F seats than the competition (OA). Often (although I haven't tracked it recently) the discounted F on OA is a similar fare to the FAS fare. A lot of OA seats are sold with corp contracts taking a % of the published fares. Many OA domestic premium seats are sold in conjunction with an international segment, and the domestic F portion of the trip doesn't really add much if anything to the total fare.

Why would Alaska bring the service "more in line?" Because if AS spent perhaps $10/pp more per F flight, maybe it fills up the F cabin with almost all paid fares. Maybe it doesn't, but maybe it makes people buy a qualifying UG fare (higher) in the hopes they will sit up front. Maybe it makes people think AS before thinking of OA, and not even shopping OA. I used to think exclusively AS and UA for almost all of my travels. Now, the world is my oyster.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Well, yes and no. I partially agree with you. My expectation would be that AS sells a higher % of F seats than the competition (OA). Often (although I haven't tracked it recently) the discounted F on OA is a similar fare to the FAS fare. A lot of OA seats are sold with corp contracts taking a % of the published fares. Many OA domestic premium seats are sold in conjunction with an international segment, and the domestic F portion of the trip doesn't really add much if anything to the total fare.

Why would Alaska bring the service "more in line?" Because if AS spent perhaps $10/pp more per F flight, maybe it fills up the F cabin with almost all paid fares. Maybe it doesn't, but maybe it makes people buy a qualifying UG fare (higher) in the hopes they will sit up front. Maybe it makes people think AS before thinking of OA, and not even shopping OA. I used to think exclusively AS and UA for almost all of my travels. Now, the world is my oyster.
I hear what you're saying but for AS I think they've found their "sweet spot". They've created a First Class product that people are willing to buy at the price they are charging for it. Raising that price means they will have to rely on corporate discounts, discounting F and upgrades to fill it. Up and down the coast, on the shorter flights, I think that many people upgrade into F - whether that be as an MVP/G/75K or by paying the nominal upgrade fee. There are also a number of people that are willing to pay the fare. On the longer flights I don't think there is a shortage of people willing to pay the lower fare for F in order to sit there - despite the lack of a second hot towel, pillows and blankets and more food on red eyes.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have to think there is more to this whole issue then just $$, times of flights the frequency of flights and one's loyalty to a certain airline or alliance. I have to wonder how many people pay full fare on AS as well as UA on the same routes that they fly? Also family emergency or work isssues might cause one to pay higher price for a ticket.

Now I had two family emergency's in the month of june, my nephew became septic, and eventually died from sepsis. The first time I got the call I was in NY (Lawn Guyland.) I called AA and UA to see who get me on the first flight out of JFK (needed a non-stop flight) to SFO, AA won, the FC fare was only $662, which I thought was very reasonable. Granted it was not thier flagship service flight, but got me to Stanford Medical Center by 5pm. When my nephew passed away, again, I was in NY (Lawn Guyland) and UA won, however the fare was $3K this time was in FC on UA's PS flight, nice seats,the food was good, not great, it was very nice however, that each course was served separtely and there was no rushing the service, since it was a 6 hr flight.

So having the fork out almost $4K for both flights, was I suprised no, would I do it again, yes. Since I had to be on the west coast and be with my family for this horrible event. I knew I had to pay the big price, it comes with paying last minute tickets. Now, which flight I did like better, AA or UA, if price was a factor, the AA flight was better, it was $2300 cheaper, but the AA FA's placed everything except the sundae on the tray and served just like a mid-con flight. For over all experience, UA won with the lay flat seats and more personable service. Was it worth the extra money, i some ways yes, I was stressed since i could not talk to my sister (she does not text) for the whole time on the plane, but the service allowed me to relax some and to take a nap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.