FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Very detailed exit row briefing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1354474-very-detailed-exit-row-briefing.html)

AKLifetimeFlyer Jun 8, 2012 12:21 am

Very detailed exit row briefing

I flew ANC-OME-ANC yesterday on the 73Q. I was seated in Row 16 for the outbound flight (bulkhead & exit row). I was surprised when it came time for the FA to give her spiel about exit row duties. She was detailed about what exactly we would have to do if an emergency situation occurred, (check behind doors for obstructions including smoke or flames), she explained specifically how to open the doors and move them out of the way, explained that we would have to stay behind and help her and the other FA with getting pax off the plane, and emphasized: you six will be the last passengers off this aircraft!

I haven't been seated in an exit row in quite awhile (haven't flown Y in quite awhile), so I didn't know if this was new. Normally, if I remember correctly, the FA's would basically just say, "do you speak English? yes? good, enjoy your legroom..."

Thoughts on this? FYI, on return I wasn't in Row 16 so I did not hear what the other set of FA's said to the exit row passengers.

dgreen12 Jun 8, 2012 7:23 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ibilities.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Flyin...1#.T9H8L8X09fx

The part about being among the last six to leave the airplane makes no sense --- you're all going to wait in the exit row aisle? How will people get past you?

A bit over the top, IMHO.

Jeeves Jun 8, 2012 7:23 am

The briefings vary but yours had way more stuff than usual. On my last flight I was in an exit row and was told how to open the door. Nothing about staying on and helping people.

Perhaps because you were flying to Nome they figured they would need all the help they could get in the event of an emergency.

beckoa Jun 8, 2012 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Jeeves (Post 18720700)
The briefings vary but yours had way more stuff than usual. On my last flight I was in an exit row and was told how to open the door. Nothing about staying on and helping people.

Perhaps because you were flying to Nome they figured they would need all the help they could get in the event of an emergency.

I had them talk about opening the door yesterday- cover pops off and doors just flip up. In F this morning, but have one exit row segment later today so will see what they say.

catmndu Jun 8, 2012 7:40 am

I'm in Australia right now. On two of my jetstar flights I was given very implicit instructions for opening the door in an emergency on the A321. There is also a rear facing jump seat next to the wing exit. It was the most complete exit row instruction I have received. It was also nice to talk to the FA:-)

jackal Jun 8, 2012 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 18720698)
The part about being among the last six to leave the airplane makes no sense --- you're all going to wait in the exit row aisle? How will people get past you?

A bit over the top, IMHO.

I agree--it makes no sense. Reading the various FA Q&A and pilot Q&A threads around FT, I've always gotten the impression that my responsibilities in the exit row are limited to opening the door (when instructed by a member of the crew or, absent that, after determining it is safe) and possibly assisting from the bottom of the evacuation slide. Never have I heard it said or seen that I needed to remain on-board the aircraft (that's the crew's job), and as mentioned above, staying on-board would add to the confusion and get in everyone's way.

Sounds like this FA may need some retraining. (Note that for the first time in several years, AS has actually hired a few new classes of FAs, so it's possible this one is just an overzealous newbie.)

AKLifetimeFlyer Jun 8, 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12 (Post 18720698)

I'm glad everyone agrees with this. I had never thought that exit row passengers would be responsible for remaining on the aircraft until everyone else was off.

Buster Jun 8, 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer (Post 18721976)
I'm glad everyone agrees with this. I had never thought that exit row passengers would be responsible for remaining on the aircraft until everyone else was off.

I had an AA flight attendant use this line in an exit row briefing a couple of years ago. She was quite emphatic that the price you pay for extra leg room is ensuring the safety of all other passengers before your own (which felt particularly weird to be told, quite frankly).

apodo77 Jun 8, 2012 1:09 pm

So when I open that door and I am first off do I have to report to the principals office?

beckoa Jun 8, 2012 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 18722781)
So when I open that door and I am first off do I have to report to the principals office?

No you'll just be eaten first ;)

Was regular briefing minutes ago to PDX... F/A only mentioned on the 734 we have to toss the door out (as newer models lift up).

jmastron Jun 8, 2012 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer (Post 18721976)

That does sound awkward and even dangerous, much like the bozos who are walking through a door who, instead of opening it and walking through holding it behind them if necessary for their coworker or other to reach it, insist on walking up to the door, backing up slowly and making the people behind stop and go around them to get through the door first, making everyone take more time...

(Yes, I understand opening a door for a significant other; this is not that case)

Duckouttahere Jun 8, 2012 3:24 pm

I have noticed the F/A's on Delta have become more specific. They said we had to help those off the slides but nothing about staying on board and be the last person off the plane. They did mention on the MD-82 that it is Delta's policy to pull the door off and rest it in the exit row seat. I guess they are worried about people tossing out the door and damaging it during a minor evacuation.

I've also experienced that they want the window shades up during takeoff and landing. That makes sense in order to check for flames.

Part of me wishes you could take a class on the subject and get certified where only certified people can sit in an exit row.

kwl747 Jun 8, 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Duckouttahere (Post 18723494)
I have noticed the F/A's on Delta have become more specific. They said we had to help those off the slides but nothing about staying on board and be the last person off the plane. They did mention on the MD-82 that it is Delta's policy to pull the door off and rest it in the exit row seat. I guess they are worried about people tossing out the door and damaging it during a minor evacuation.

I've also experienced that they want the window shades up during takeoff and landing. That makes sense in order to check for flames.

Part of me wishes you could take a class on the subject and get certified where only certified people can sit in an exit row.

It's almost a burden to sit in an exit row on DL. First when boarding the machine beeps when the boarding pass is scanned and the agent asks if you are aware and accept the responsibility of being in an exit row seat. Then you sit down and for some reason the FA's can't coordinate so you get briefing's from usually 3 or 4 different ones. When the boarding door closes the FA's return to remind you that in an exit row all belongings must be completely under the seat infront. Honestly, my last flight with DL I got 6 different DL employees making sure I understood and was okay with sitting in an exit row.

On AS its MUCH better, but a recent flight the FA must have been on there first 737NG flight because he thought it important to talk about the design and operational changes from the exit door in the classics.

HiFlyerAS Jun 8, 2012 10:02 pm

The FAA is now requiring a much more detailed briefing for those sitting in the exit rows...including how the exit opens. You are NOT required to 'go down with the ship' as this FA apparently stated as part of her/his briefing. That part was improvised and is by no means part of the required briefing. You might contact Customer Care with the date and flight number so this FA can have a little remedial training.

Per the FAA: You have to speak and understand English. You can't have any physical disability or prothesis that prevents full use of your both of your arms and both of your legs. Check first for danger and then open the exit and direct people out. That's it in a nutshell.

formeraa Jun 8, 2012 10:09 pm

While the OP's FA went a bit overboard with the implication that you should stay onboard the aircraft, the FAA is requiring that the airlines emphasized the duties associated with being near the emergency exit. First and foremost, before you open the exit, check to make sure that there is not fire immediately outside the exit!!! I think that the "enhanced" emergency exit briefing is important -- Southwest takes it pretty seriously on all of their flights (thankfully).

As passengers, we are not expecting an emergency to happen. If we are adequate prepared, a few extra seconds may be difference between life and death in an extreme emergency.