FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1342349-alaska-airlines-canadian-mastercard.html)

illico Feb 5, 2020 10:27 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 32034818)
I haven’t had an MBNA card in a few years even though I’ve probably churned 3-4 of them in the past. I just tried applying for one and was outright denied with no explanation. Have churners been banned?

Edit: I’ve only ever had the World Elite card, so tried applying for the Platinum Plus card. Denied as well. :confused:

Based on the Canadian churning forums I read, churning this card still seems alive and well. You may need to call to inquire as to why.

WKnight Feb 5, 2020 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 32034818)
I haven’t had an MBNA card in a few years even though I’ve probably churned 3-4 of them in the past. I just tried applying for one and was outright denied with no explanation. Have churners been banned?

Edit: I’ve only ever had the World Elite card, so tried applying for the Platinum Plus card. Denied as well. :confused:

I believe MBNA is also looking at the number of recent hard pulls, something like a maximum of 5 within 12 months? I think they pull from Transunion. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

margarita girl Feb 15, 2020 5:56 pm

After a couple of calls to MBNA, they finally escalated my case and someone investigated my case. I got a call back from someone in 613 area code. They claim the problem is that there are currently no cash back sites that work with their card which is why my application isn't going through. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone successfully applied for an MBNA AS card through GCR recently?

The message I get when I apply is "We appreciate your interest in MBNA, but we're unable to accept your business at this time". :confused:

Maclock Feb 18, 2020 10:23 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 32076557)
After a couple of calls to MBNA, they finally escalated my case and someone investigated my case. I got a call back from someone in 613 area code. They claim the problem is that there are currently no cash back sites that work with their card which is why my application isn't going through. I find that hard to believe. Has anyone successfully applied for an MBNA AS card through GCR recently?

The message I get when I apply is "We appreciate your interest in MBNA, but we're unable to accept your business at this time". :confused:

Four unsuccessful attempts through GCR on my end: two during November 2019 and two during January 2020. I tried both the World Elite and the Platinum Plus versions. I've never had a problem in the past. Odd.

margarita girl Feb 18, 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Maclock (Post 32086261)
Four unsuccessful attempts through GCR on my end: two during November 2019 and two during January 2020. I tried both the World Elite and the Platinum Plus versions. I've never had a problem in the past. Odd.

Success at last!

I opened a new GCR account and applied using a browser that I've never used before. Application went through and was approved!

flyerhog Feb 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 32086600)
Success at last!

I opened a new GCR account and applied using a browser that I've never used before. Application went through and was approved!

Tried the above and still doesn't work with a new GCR account. Maybe it's a GCR issue? GCR-MBNA had always been spotty at this - I remembered there's a period early 2018 where none of my applications went through GCR because a rep from GCR told me there was a technical issue on their end.

CanuckFan Mar 5, 2020 10:05 am

Just for info, I received a statement for an MBNA Alaska credit card that I cancelled in March of 2017. Statement showed a zero balance but also showed credit limit etc. I went to MBNA Alaska's online chat and this is what they told me:

"We had a computer error that generated statements with a zero balance for closed accounts in error , if you would like peace of mind you can us at 1-800-347-6262 , it is a known issue and we do aplogize for any inconvenience this may have caused"

Very weird...I was thinking this timeframe (March 2017) might have been about the time of switchover to TD, but not sure.

MAXII Mar 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Large Credit, policy/chance of a cheque?

Cancelled a cruise, so now I have a large credit as a result of air fare & cruise fare refunds. I only use the MBNA CC rarely as a secondary card or selectively for AS travel & some travel.

Other than using the card to expense against the credit, what are my options? What is the policy regards getting a cheque for a credit? I could only find info on MBNA charges for a credit balance.

Any ideas or info on policy regards credit amounts appreciated, thanks.

Flying for Fun Mar 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by MAXII (Post 32170368)
Cancelled a cruise, so now I have a large credit as a result of air fare & cruise fare refunds. I only use the MBNA CC rarely as a secondary card or selectively for AS travel & some travel.

Other than using the card to expense against the credit, what are my options? What is the policy regards getting a cheque for a credit? I could only find info on MBNA charges for a credit balance.

Any ideas or info on policy regards credit amounts appreciated, thanks.

Have you called to request a cheque be issued? If there is a credit balance and no activity on the account, I believe they are obligated to issue a cheque after 30 days.

Also, the MP miles issued for the purchases will be clawed back. You will see a negative point value in your AS account when it posts.

James

MAXII Sep 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Retention Offers?

Thinking about cancelling my card. Has anyone been offered a retention bonus? Thanks

SamuelS Jan 23, 2021 11:54 am

LoungeKey benefit for AS MBNA WorldElite MC

This is very much a YMMV benefit, but as there's no cost to enroll, this may be of use to some...

While there are no complimentary lounge visits included with the AS MBNA WorldElite Mastercard, you can use your card number to enroll for LoungeKey by Mastercard. I downloaded the app and after registering my card number, was assigned a LoungeKey membership number and lounge access QR code on the app.

Each lounge visit is charged at $32 USD to the card, so again, this is a YMMV benefit. However there are over 1000 lounges globally that participate in the program, including some I don't have access to through my existing Amex Platinum or Priority Pass memberships. I had a long day stop in GRU and was able to pay for access to a landside lounge while waiting for check-in to open for next flight, and if you've spent anytime in GRU, you'll know that $32 is a small price to pay to escape that madness for a day! $32 USD is also a fair bit lower than some lounges normally for walk-in access, for instance the new WestJet Elevate lounge in YYC would charge $65 CAD per person.

There were no fees for me to enrol in LoungeKey and get my membership number, so unlike Priority Pass whom charges $99 annually and still charges per lounge visit on top, could be a useful option for some?

porky73 Aug 9, 2021 5:48 am

Anyone apply for this card recently. I applied today and got auto-decline saying: "We appreciate your interest in MBNA, but we’re unable to accept your business at this time."

Haven't had this card for about 2-3yrs now and my credit score is mid 750's due to a very limited recent Canadian credit history; essentially, I do all my spending on US-issed cards and haven't had need for loans. Wondering if that limited credit use / low level of enquiries is causing auto-decline? Any thoughts please? Worth calling for reconsideration? Tks.

porky73 Aug 9, 2021 5:49 am

*Should also mentioned that I tried to apply through GCR with the cashback offer.

loganre17 Aug 12, 2021 8:52 am

Originally Posted by porky73 (Post 33476523)
*Should also mentioned that I tried to apply through GCR with the cashback offer.

you might have issues if you are reusing an old GCR account (i,e. one that you used prior to get the AS MC) - their recon line is good. Phone general and ask for credit department.

rankourabu Nov 8, 2022 7:12 pm

Card is gone. 😥