Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Old Jun 20, 18, 9:53 am
  #1201  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: yvr
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by MAXII View Post
The link is no longer working.

Given that the $79 AF AS Platinum Plus rewards card is not appearing on the MBNA web page & the fee for the W/Elite card is $89, I wonder if we will be given the option to upgrade or we will be automatically converted?

Definitely seens something is in the works.
From Alaska air https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...0&locale=en_CA

Click on 2nd point for terms as described in previous post
CanuckFan is offline  
Old Jun 20, 18, 12:27 pm
  #1202  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 256
Originally Posted by CanuckFan View Post
From Alaska air https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/generateApplicationForm.htm?src=DAAY90&locale=en_C A

Click on 2nd point for terms as described in previous post
Awesome! Thanks so much, hopefully this will apply to us existing holders and we will officially hear soon.

Last edited by MAXII; Jun 20, 18 at 12:28 pm Reason: typo
MAXII is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 2:54 am
  #1203  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,453
Originally Posted by MAXII View Post
The link is no longer working.

Given that the $79 AF AS Platinum Plus rewards card is not appearing on the MBNA web page & the fee for the W/Elite card is $89, I wonder if we will be given the option to upgrade or we will be automatically converted?

Definitely seens something is in the works.
The terms in the link are effective June 2018. The AF is $75.00. There is still reference to the Platinum Plus card but may be a fallback for those that don't qualify for the World Elite. The free checked bag is ONLY applicable to the World Elite Account. It pays to read the fine print. If you have the existing Platinum Plus you will neither get upgraded to World Elite nor get 1 piece free checked baggage as I read it. If you qualify for the World Elite with the $80,000/$150,000 personal/household income requirement I would just apply for the Card again and if you are approved for the World Elite you will get another 25K bonus and your free checked baggage. You can either close the Platinum Plus or keep it for the annual companion certificate. I have 3 World Elite Accounts.

James

†† To qualify for this offer, an applicant must be approved for a Platinum Card or World Elite Card and a single or combination of purchase transactions totaling at least one thousand Canadian dollars (CAD 1,000) must be made using such account within the first 90 days of account opening that are not subsequently rescinded, the subject of a charge back request or otherwise disputed. Please allow 8-10 weeks from the transaction date for bonus Miles to be posted to your Mileage Plan account and Companion Certificate to be delivered. Account must be open and active on posting/delivery date to qualify for bonus Miles and Companion Certificate. Limit one-time bonus Miles and Companion Certificate offer (no cash value) per new account. Reissues, fraud, lost/stolen and reopened accounts do not qualify for this offer. This promotion is offered by MBNA and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice. Additional bonus Miles may be awarded if a completed application is submitted to an Alaska Airlines employee.

†††† To be eligible for a World Elite account, your personal annual income must be greater than $80,000, or your household annual income must be $150,000 or greater. Additional account qualification criteria apply as set out in the application.

ć Free Checked Bag Benefit: Primary cardholders of the Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard ® consumer credit card ("World Elite account") who make a qualifying reservation and have an open World Elite account at the time of travel are eligible to receive a baggage allowance on qualifying reservations consisting of one (1) complimentary checked bag per passenger on the same ticket for the same Alaska Airlines flight, up to a maximum of six (6) complimentary checked bags per ticket. Qualifying reservations include flights marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, SkyWest or PenAir (codeshare flights operated by other carriers are not eligible). Primary cardholder must be an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ member.
MAXII likes this.
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 21, 18, 2:35 pm
  #1204  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Posts: 313
Just applied for this card through GCR two weeks ago and crossed the $1000 spend this week.

No statement yet, but wondering if I’ll get 30,000 points instead of 25k?
coleworld is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:39 pm
  #1205  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: YVR
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by coleworld View Post
Just applied for this card through GCR two weeks ago and crossed the $1000 spend this week.

No statement yet, but wondering if I’ll get 30,000 points instead of 25k?
Oh interesting, when did they bump the offer to 30k?

The GCR page still shows 25k
pentiumvi is online now  
Old Jun 22, 18, 5:10 am
  #1206  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 758
If I have an AS reward redemption with taxes and fees paid with this card, can I cancel this card before I have travelled on the redemption flight?
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 3:11 pm
  #1207  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,453
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes View Post
If I have an AS reward redemption with taxes and fees paid with this card, can I cancel this card before I have travelled on the redemption flight?
Yes
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 25, 18, 4:23 pm
  #1208  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Silver, DVC
Posts: 294
I just received a letter from MBNA regarding my Alaska Airlines World Elite MasterCard.

Bad news: the annual fee is going up from $79 to $99.
Good news: The card now includes a checked bag benefit "consisting of one complementary checked back per passenger on the same ticket for the same Alaska Airlines flight, up to a maximum of six complementary checked bags per ticket."

It refers to https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ity-freebagfaq which is the terms for the BofA Alaska VISA that has had this benefit for a while.

I think this is actually a pretty good deal. For only an extra $20 I'll save $50 per round trip flight minimum on baggage fees. Considering I have two round trip flights with a friend scheduled this year, that's $200 in baggage fee savings for us.

It's when you get word of an enhancement that actually provides more value rather than taking it away and somehow trying to explain why it's good for you.
Great White North is offline  
Old Jun 25, 18, 5:24 pm
  #1209  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,454
Originally Posted by Great White North View Post
I just received a letter from MBNA regarding my Alaska Airlines World Elite MasterCard.

Bad news: the annual fee is going up from $79 to $99.
Good news: The card now includes a checked bag benefit "consisting of one complementary checked back per passenger on the same ticket for the same Alaska Airlines flight, up to a maximum of six complementary checked bags per ticket."

It refers to https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ity-freebagfaq which is the terms for the BofA Alaska VISA that has had this benefit for a while.

I think this is actually a pretty good deal. For only an extra $20 I'll save $50 per round trip flight minimum on baggage fees. Considering I have two round trip flights with a friend scheduled this year, that's $200 in baggage fee savings for us.

It's when you get word of an enhancement that actually provides more value rather than taking it away and somehow trying to explain why it's good for you.
The application is still showing an annual fee of $75. I applied yesterday for the 30k bonus offer and $75 annual fee. Wonder if they will try to charge me $99?
Finkface is offline  
Old Jun 25, 18, 9:17 pm
  #1210  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: BC, Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Plat
Posts: 33
$99 annual fee is effective September 1st.
beastmaster is offline  
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:55 pm
  #1211  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,453
$99.00 CAD is $74.46 USD at today's rate so it is in-line with the Signature Visa offering from BofA.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:20 am
  #1212  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 256
So I pulled out the terms & conditions for my current Platinum Plus card (I have had it years) & compared them to those of the World Elite. I don't see any difference other than now the WE has a baggage allowance. I'm not a churner & sometimes I haven't had use for the Companion Fare but I do use the miles I earn for international F travel.

As I qualify for WE I thought what the heck, I'll apply for the new WE to get the bonus miles & cancel the other one before the next AF as suggested up thread.

Alas, I cannot find a working link now. Have tried GCR, AS website & MBNA.

Wonder what is going on. Anyone have a luck applying online any link today?
MAXII is offline  
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:51 am
  #1213  
wkc
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HKG, JFK, YVR
Programs: CX, BA
Posts: 66
The new link for making a card application is here: https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...8&locale=en_CA

Note the annual fee increase to $99 and delisting from GCR.
MAXII likes this.
wkc is offline  
Old Jun 27, 18, 12:25 pm
  #1214  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: yvr
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by MAXII View Post
So I pulled out the terms & conditions for my current Platinum Plus card (I have had it years) & compared them to those of the World Elite. I don't see any difference other than now the WE has a baggage allowance. I'm not a churner & sometimes I haven't had use for the Companion Fare but I do use the miles I earn for international F travel.

As I qualify for WE I thought what the heck, I'll apply for the new WE to get the bonus miles & cancel the other one before the next AF as suggested up thread.

Alas, I cannot find a working link now. Have tried GCR, AS website & MBNA.

Wonder what is going on. Anyone have a luck applying online any link today?
The link is available on the front page of AS website, but if you are not in a hurry MAXII, you could wait a bit on the GCR website. The Alaska card has disappeared from their website before, but always seems to return shortly.
CanuckFan is offline  
Old Jun 28, 18, 8:27 pm
  #1215  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: yvr
Posts: 83
The application is back on GCR now with the 30,000 miles.
MAXII likes this.
CanuckFan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: