Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Where does it say that there are 73 AS card holders?
If you can put 25k spend per month you're better off getting an RBC Avion or a SPG Amex.
This card is just good for churning.
Some have even said the companion fare is rather worthless, since the cost of flying AS even with the $100 companion fare tends to be higher than paying full price for two tickets on Allegiant. So yerffeg201 is spot on...churning only on this one...and I'd be inclined to turf this one even sooner than most, considering no online access...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Some have even said the companion fare is rather worthless, since the cost of flying AS even with the $100 companion fare tends to be higher than paying full price for two tickets on Allegiant. So yerffeg201 is spot on...churning only on this one...and I'd be inclined to turf this one even sooner than most, considering no online access...
Comparing all of AS routes with the limited (and horrid) Allegiant?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
Haha - yeah, I guess that's an unfair comment! I guess a better way to put it is that the cheapie companion fare offers an inconsistent value (maybe sometimes good - maybe sometimes not so good), since you're forced to purchase a revenue ticket (which I haven't done in years!). I can get pretty consistent value with my other airline reward redemptions...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by robsaw
G4 has had some poor performance indeed. Was just reading the Star Advertiser and G4 flight attendants took out an ad apologizing for delays up to 52 hours and abandoning many markets they just started.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by braffy
No need to cancel first, just apply for a second card. Only thing to keep in mind is that they have a max CL per client (my max was 25K). In that case you may need to reallocate your credit between your two cards, before they will approve your second application. Signup bonus and other perks will also apply for your second card (as well as a second annual fee) .
Well I would prefer not to maintain a second card as I don't want to pay two annual fees (even though I realize you get the companion fare, in which I don't really need...).
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:20 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Interesting development:

I called Customer Service last night and got someone in North America, during my service request we chatted about the lack of online access.

She said it was "coming soon" but then recanted, "Actually I am not sure if I should have said anything, but we may have access for you sooner rather than later"

Sounds like good news.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Interesting development:

I called Customer Service last night and got someone in North America, during my service request we chatted about the lack of online access.

She said it was "coming soon" but then recanted, "Actually I am not sure if I should have said anything, but we may have access for you sooner rather than later"

Sounds like good news.
I hope so. Hanging tough with my cards but the lack of online is just a major pain, and just so stupid.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:14 pm

Wow, not a lot of good things said about the Alaska card.

I'm sticking with it, even after doing some extensive research. My objective is to fly my family to Europe in a couple of years, and I already have 120k points. I am going to churn this card like crazy over the next little while with both my wife and me. Shouldn't be too hard to get the 300,000 points needed with a bit of churn help.

Oh, and I love the companion fare coupon. Works well for flights from YYJ. Until Allegiant starts flying out of Victoria or United has a good cc program for Canadians, I'm sticking with this one.

Hey, here's a cool article that my buddy wrote about my situation and his recommendations: http://www.thepointster.ca/whats-the...-credit-cards/

Good coverage of the Canadian cc landscape.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by ranman1973
Wow, not a lot of good things said about the Alaska card.

I'm sticking with it, even after doing some extensive research. My objective is to fly my family to Europe in a couple of years, and I already have 120k points. I am going to churn this card like crazy over the next little while with both my wife and me. Shouldn't be too hard to get the 300,000 points needed with a bit of churn help.

Oh, and I love the companion fare coupon. Works well for flights from YYJ. Until Allegiant starts flying out of Victoria or United has a good cc program for Canadians, I'm sticking with this one.

Hey, here's a cool article that my buddy wrote about my situation and his recommendations: http://www.thepointster.ca/whats-the...-credit-cards/

Good coverage of the Canadian cc landscape.
Just remember 90 days at least between each one.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Never played cc' game. Why 90 days?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Never played cc' game. Why 90 days?
In the US that is usually time between each churn that spaces out applications so issuers won't deny you for too many recent inquiries. I don't know if that's the case in Canada simply because there are not enough cards to do that makes it worthwhile, but if OP really needs to get to Europe, then churning Alaska Mastercard every 91 days could be possible. Not worth it for everyone... but it would be interesting if you could do 4 AS MC's in a year, 100k AS, and $300 in annual fees.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: as,ac,ua,spg
I wonder if anyone has heard anything about online access for the MBNA Alaska master card? The wait is getting ridiculously long ! I'm beginning to wonder if BofA is dump us Canadians.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:26 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I doubt my agent last time knew what she was talking about, but told me they were waiting for TD to finalize the purchase of the Alaska Card and online access would come with that.

(I highly doubt TD is going to buy the Alaska card, as they are in negotiations to buy into Aeroplan marketed cards)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I doubt my agent last time knew what she was talking about, but told me they were waiting for TD to finalize the purchase of the Alaska Card and online access would come with that.

(I highly doubt TD is going to buy the Alaska card, as they are in negotiations to buy into Aeroplan marketed cards)
TD owns MBNA also. So it would be nice if they made an currency a la Chase UR with transfers into Aeroplan, Alaska, Best Western, and Choice.
Oh I can dream.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Silver, Aeroplan 25K, DVC
Originally Posted by sully66
I wonder if anyone has heard anything about online access for the MBNA Alaska master card? The wait is getting ridiculously long ! I'm beginning to wonder if BofA is dump us Canadians.
I dumped BofA a couple of weeks ago on a Alaska card I had been using for 8 years. With the lack of on-line access, I had stopped using the card because the half hour to manually enter all my transactions into Quicken just wasn't worth it compared to the miles I was earning. Plus the devaluation on the card benefits, especially the companion certificate lowered the value proposition even more. So when I got the statement with my annual fee, I called to cancel. Perhaps I'll reapply in November when I have a flight with AS to Disney World just for the sign up bonus, but I can't see using this as my primary card unless they fix the on-line access issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.