Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAXII
Thanks for your super post and putting things in perspective for me. Renewal is assured now!😀
My pleasure! 😊

One additional point. I am a Costcoholic... lol. I had an American Express because that was the ONLY credit card they accepted. When I got my 2% bonus cheque back at the end of the year I never knew if I should be happy or sad. 🤔 While the cheque in the $300 to $350 range was nice it made me realize that I had spent $15,000 to $17,500 dollars at Costco over the prior year.

I am happy that the partnership ended and now Costco accepts Mastercard so I can use my Alaska Airlines Mastercard in Canada. Ironically, when the American Express partnership ended in the United States Costco started accepting Visa so I can use my Alaska Airlines Visa in the US.

If my habits continue, instead of a $300-$350 annual rebate, I am earning an addition 15K-17.5K redeemable miles. That can take me one way from Kelowna to San José Costa Rica. I value the award at more than $238-$278 USD.

If you have any other questions or would like some ideas on maximizing the companion certificate, feel free to PM me.

Cheers

James
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
My pleasure! 😊

One additional point. I am a Costcoholic... lol. I had an American Express because that was the ONLY credit card they accepted. When I got my 2% bonus cheque back at the end of the year I never knew if I should be happy or sad. 🤔 While the cheque in the $300 to $350 range was nice it made me realize that I had spent $15,000 to $17,500 dollars at Costco over the prior year.

I am happy that the partnership ended and now Costco accepts Mastercard so I can use my Alaska Airlines Mastercard in Canada. Ironically, when the American Express partnership ended in the United States Costco started accepting Visa so I can use my Alaska Airlines Visa in the US.

If my habits continue, instead of a $300-$350 annual rebate, I am earning an addition 15K-17.5K redeemable miles. That can take me one way from Kelowna to San José Costa Rica. I value the award at more than $238-$278 USD.

If you have any other questions or would like some ideas on maximizing the companion certificate, feel free to PM me.

Cheers

James
Very kind, thanks.😆 I've printed off the info for future ref. too.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Does anyone know the proper number to call for customer service regarding this card? My partner was approved but the card was sent to the wrong address. When we call the application number listed on the application website, it just plays a long series of advertisements and then cuts out (no mention of the alaska card). We are calling from within the US, could that be the problem?

Any help on how to get in touch with a CSR about this card would be great. TD and Alaska have no record of the card yet..

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by jbb93
Does anyone know the proper number to call for customer service regarding this card? My partner was approved but the card was sent to the wrong address. When we call the application number listed on the application website, it just plays a long series of advertisements and then cuts out (no mention of the alaska card). We are calling from within the US, could that be the problem?

Any help on how to get in touch with a CSR about this card would be great. TD and Alaska have no record of the card yet..

Thanks!
From their website:

Contact Customer Service
For current balance and payment information, sign in to Online Access. To report your card lost or stolen, for help with your account, or to inquire about MBNA products and services:
Get help with your account:

1-888-876-6262
Hearing Impaired (TTY/TDD):

1-800-872-5758
From outside Canada:

1-613-907-3505 (call collect)
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jbb93

Thanks!
I just called customer service yesterday. My card got declined and it turns out that all of the information in their tap (contactless) system somehow got deleted so the tap function doesn't work. Pin works but I never thought to try that. They have to send out new cards to everyone affected.

Anyway, it is 1-888-876-6262. I keyed in my card number, which you probably don't know, and then a phone service pin which has to set up in advance, which again you probably don't have. Not sure if you can get to the menu without it. Then 1 for english, 5 for other options, none of which was what I needed, so then I pressed 0 and got a rep. So maybe just try 0 right from the start.

I will say I had a horribly long wait time. Probably due to the problem I described above. I think I waited close to an hour.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Foreign Travel: No Longer Need to Call In

2 weeks ago, I called in to provide a travel notification to MBNA as I normally do. Pleased to learn that this is no longer necessary. CS rep explained that they now have new technology in place.

Just thought I'd pass this on as I haven't seen this mentioned.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Hello Everyone in frequent flyer land. I never saw this question answered so does anyone know if holders of the MBNA World Elite MC in Canada get a free checked bag (for up to 6 people on the same itinerary) as they advertise on the US credit card?
I have held this card several times before and would get it again for this purpose as we will have a party of 5 traveling from YYC to SEA next Summer.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So uh, I got a new card in the mail today with the same expiry date as the old card. Didn't get any notification that that would happen in advance and expiry isn't for another year.

It's got a new look though, now dark blue with the Inuit logo instead of black.

So I guess I have two active cards now?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
So uh, I got a new card in the mail today with the same expiry date as the old card. Didn't get any notification that that would happen in advance and expiry isn't for another year.

I believe they are just slowly sending out the new format cards. My partner received one also long before the expiry date. Once you activate the new card the old one is deactivated so you will no longer be able to use it. You will see a two digit numeral on the lower left above your name. That is the card number and will be one higher than the old card number and it is coded into the chip and magnetic strip so once activated any prior card cannot be used.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 27, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

It has to do with this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28771368-post1085.html

The rep told me they were replacing all cards just as a precaution as they aren't sure which cards' tap function was affected. Not all cards were affected and, if you don't use tap, you may not know if it is working or not. But they are replacing all of them anyway. So everyone wil get a new card at some point.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe they are just slowly sending out the new format cards. My partner received one also long before the expiry date. Once you activate the new card the old one is deactivated so you will no longer be able to use it. You will see a two digit numeral on the lower left above your name. That is the card number and will be one higher than the old card number and it is coded into the chip and magnetic strip so once activated any prior card cannot be used.

James
Originally Posted by Finkface
It has to do with this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28771368-post1085.html

The rep told me they were replacing all cards just as a precaution as they aren't sure which cards' tap function was affected. Not all cards were affected and, if you don't use tap, you may not know if it is working or not. But they are replacing all of them anyway. So everyone wil get a new card at some point.
huh, interesting. Mine was working just fine. But good on them I suppose!
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:22 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by danno95
Hello Everyone in frequent flyer land. I never saw this question answered so does anyone know if holders of the MBNA World Elite MC in Canada get a free checked bag (for up to 6 people on the same itinerary) as they advertise on the US credit card?
I have held this card several times before and would get it again for this purpose as we will have a party of 5 traveling from YYC to SEA next Summer.
I don't believe that this is the case if I recall correctly. I seem to recall paying for $25 checked back while I held the car before I was MVP. I may stand to be corrected.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
How did you guys activate the card online? it only lets you input the card number&name for new card activation and since that's the same it just keeps giving me "card is already activated"..... how do I replace my card info online? How did you activate the card? rather confused at the moment.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:37 pm

How did you guys activate the card online? it only lets you input the card number&name for new card activation and since that's the same it just keeps giving me "card is already activated"..... how do I replace my card info online? How did you activate the card? rather confused at the moment.
It may already be activated? If not, you'll probably have to call it in.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: *void
I would think you would just need to call in to activate the card. Just like as if you received a replacement card for an expired/lost card. You've already registered the card online, and now just need to call and activate the new card, thereby also invalidating the prior card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.