Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by RTLS
I'm trying to cancel my MBNA Alaska card but don't see anywhere online to do that. Do I have to phone?

My plan is to wait about 6 months before reapplying.

Thanks
Phone or write, but harder to confirm if you write because they now seem to keep the account "active" even after it is cancelled.

MBNA
Customer Service
P.O. Box 9614
Ottawa, ON K1G 6E6
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, Marriott, x,Hilton
Originally Posted by robsaw
Phone or write, but harder to confirm if you write because they now seem to keep the account "active" even after it is cancelled.

MBNA
Customer Service
P.O. Box 9614
Ottawa, ON K1G 6E6
Thanks for the info.

I'll phone
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
MBNA are shoring up their loose policies and rules on churning, we've definitely noticed it (mikeycauck, sit down).
Hey. So I got my 3rd card approved after being told "no" by a CS rep weeks earlier, an apology letter! my card and an auto rebate by CSR. All within a week
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Hey. So I got my 3rd card approved after being told "no" by a CS rep weeks earlier, an apology letter! my card and an auto rebate by CSR. All within a week
Yep, I received an apology letter after a system denial + manual approval as well. Chuckled a bit.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:41 pm

Datapoint - Hubby had 2 AS cards simultaneously. One card was coming up for its AF so he called in to cancel the card and have the credit limit added to his second card. CSR said he could do this, minus $500 of credit. CSR said this was standard now.

Update: Logged into the "closed account" this morning after closing 3 days ago - credit limit of $500 on this account.

Last edited by prmetime; Apr 25, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFan
I am on my second card. The first time, the companion fare was available before I received my credit card in the mail. The second time, I am still waiting. The first transaction took place on April 2, and first statement was April 18.

Monday April 25, 5:15 am still not available.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:25 am

I will let you know tomorrow or monday if this is true in my case. My first statement was April 18.

Monday Apri 25 at 5:15 am and nothinghas been posted to my account yet.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: *void
Monday Apri 25 at 5:15 am and nothinghas been posted to my account yet.
Same here. As of the noon hour.

My MBNA AS MC statement cycled on Wed, April 20th. So when I'm logged into MBNA.ca, using the Rewards->Account Details, I can see the points were transferred under the "Transfer Activity" page, also dated on the statement date, 20th.

In the past few churns we've noticed the points do show up in our AS accounts by the weekend following the statement, but not this time.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Just churned 2 AS card today, will see what happens.. They didn't ask me for my AS number in the app, should I call to update?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:49 am

I had this thought

I know we can call in to provide the correct AS # if they mismatched
Now...can that # be anybody's AS #? :P don't know if they match right away on the phone, or verify again during transfer time?

e.g. pool someone's 25KAS miles into my account ...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I had this thought

I know we can call in to provide the correct AS # if they mismatched
Now...can that # be anybody's AS #? :P don't know if they match right away on the phone, or verify again during transfer time?

e.g. pool someone's 25KAS miles into my account ...
Not quite sure what you are asking here. When I applied for my second card, the application didn't have a spot for Mileage Plan #. When I received the card, I called in to activate as I wanted to make sure the correct # was attached to the new card. (Rather than activating it online). But when I called in to activate it, they had my mileage plan # and read it to me.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:41 pm

Not quite sure what you are asking here. When I applied for my second card, the application didn't have a spot for Mileage Plan #. When I received the card, I called in to activate as I wanted to make sure the correct # was attached to the new card. (Rather than activating it online). But when I called in to activate it, they had my mileage plan # and read it to me.
Or you could say the # is wrong and provide the new #, like I did earlier

But what if we provide somebody else's #....thats my question. Do they check at all, I doubt MBNA has access to full AS MP data
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:22 pm

Is there a way to check if your old MBNA AS cards are cancelled on the online account? Or do you have to always phone in?

Also, if MBNA cancels your old card to open your new card (without telling you), is that considered a negative impact on your credit score?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
Is there a way to check if your old MBNA AS cards are cancelled on the online account? Or do you have to always phone in?

Also, if MBNA cancels your old card to open your new card (without telling you), is that considered a negative impact on your credit score?

When I phoned in to cancel my 1st card (1 year ago), a letter was sent to me stating the account was closed. It still shows up on my online account though along with my 2nd card. And if you look in the security section, it says that old accounts can be accessed online for up to 7 years after closing, to retrieve statements. Although I am quite sure that I read somewhere else on their website that you can only get statements for previous 13 months.
I don't know about your second question.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong

Account age in general impacts your credit score but the calculation is weighted towards longer open accounts so keeping a couple of card accounts open long-term is good. In addition, accounts can be closed at "consumer request" (not generally a negative unless it is your only long-term account), closed "non-derogatory" (could be you or the credit issuer closing the account but not for any bad-credit reason), closed "derogatory" (bad).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.