Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Is online access back yet?

How can it be 2012 and BofA USA's largest Bank not have an IT team able to provide 73 canadians access?

Can I just open the card for a few months and NEVER make a transaction aside from the annual fee?

I have the US Alaska Card and I will reverse churn these.
Looks like you're Canadian...how do you qualify for the US Alaska Card?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:24 pm

Is online access back yet?

How can it be 2012 and BofA USA's largest Bank not have an IT team able to provide 73 canadians access?

Can I just open the card for a few months and NEVER make a transaction aside from the annual fee?

I have the US Alaska Card and I will reverse churn these.
What do you mean by reverse churn? Cancel? ;o
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:33 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pokee
Looks like you're Canadian...how do you qualify for the US Alaska Card?
I am US Citizen living in Canada with a valid SIN/credit report.

I will alternate years with each card, on off, paying 1 annual fee for 25-30k per year. I guess that is my definition of reverse churning.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:19 pm

I am US Citizen living in Canada with a valid SIN/credit report.

I will alternate years with each card, on off, paying 1 annual fee for 25-30k per year. I guess that is my definition of reverse churning.
Nice plan! ^
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:13 pm

Bonus miles not completely posted?

I received an email inviting me to apply for a MC here in Canada, did and received it in the mail. I didn't keep the email but the AS website still shows a 25K bonus for Cdn MC. I have been credited with 10K.

I can't recall whether last time it posted in two chunks, perhaps the second one after I get my first statement and have used the card? If I have to call, do I call card services or AS customer service?

Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by bevvy5
I received an email inviting me to apply for a MC here in Canada, did and received it in the mail. I didn't keep the email but the AS website still shows a 25K bonus for Cdn MC. I have been credited with 10K.

I can't recall whether last time it posted in two chunks, perhaps the second one after I get my first statement and have used the card? If I have to call, do I call card services or AS customer service?
Last month, my welcome bonus posted in two separate transactions (10K and 15K) on the same date.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 pm

How do you think you guys received the targeted email? Did you sign up for AS FF just prior to getting the email? I want to apply, but thinking of waiting to get an invite email so I get get the extra miles...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
How do you think you guys received the targeted email? Did you sign up for AS FF just prior to getting the email? I want to apply, but thinking of waiting to get an invite email so I get get the extra miles...
The standard offer posted on their site is 25K miles. No invite required.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by keithguy
The standard offer posted on their site is 25K miles. No invite required.
Oh great - not sure why I thought it was lower! I am getting my sign-up bonuses confused!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Who actually administers the card currently?

The application process indicates "BofA Canada Bank", but then chat boxes windows that proactively open up on the application page, as well as links for more details on the application page, prompt you to connect you to MBNA.

I had a bizzare chat session with an MBNA representative whom at first refused to tell me whether the Alaska Air Canada MC was adminstered by them or not. Then he just said randomly "we are aware of technical issues". Finally he said that MBNA had nothing to do with the Alaska Air branded card and to contact Bank of America.

It's completely bizarre.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 pm

MBNA Canada is now part of TD Canada Trust. The Alaska Card remained part of Bank of America (former owner of MBNA Canada) ---- BUT ---- TD has continued to provide services to BofACanada for this credit card even though it is correct to say that MBNA/TD has zero interest in the Alaska card other than as contract service-provider to BofA.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by robsaw
MBNA Canada is now part of TD Canada Trust. The Alaska Card remained part of Bank of America (former owner of MBNA Canada) ---- BUT ---- TD has continued to provide services to BofACanada for this credit card even though it is correct to say that MBNA/TD has zero interest in the Alaska card other than as contract service-provider to BofA.
God, what a mess. I guess we should be glad the card hasn't been cancelled completely.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by turtleisland
God, what a mess. I guess we should be glad the card hasn't been cancelled completely.
I just applied today for my second card. Everywhere I looked it said 'no annual fee' which is why I went for it. 25,000 miles, the companion cert (even if only y) with no annual fee was a no brainer. I took screen shots to prove it if they try to charge me the fee. Cut and paste from the application:

Annual Fees
None
There is no annual fee.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
I just applied today for my second card. Everywhere I looked it said 'no annual fee' which is why I went for it. 25,000 miles, the companion cert (even if only y) with no annual fee was a no brainer. I took screen shots to prove it if they try to charge me the fee. Cut and paste from the application:

Annual Fees
None
There is no annual fee.
Well, that is NEW! Let us know how the application goes and whether you get the points.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by robsaw
Well, that is NEW! Let us know how the application goes and whether you get the points.
Wiil do and check out this thread as someone else confirmed they are seeing the same 'no annual fee' clause and has applied as well. As I said there, it's a bargain at $0 even with the reductions in online access and comp. cert.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...churnable.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.