Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 11:10 am

Alaska's companion fare works anywhere Alaska flies. The WestJet companion fare does have more restrictions (no Hawaii).

Just booked a BLI-HNL roundtrip a few weeks ago for mid May (includes the long weekend) for $450 USD all in for 2. Starting from YVR was possible, but quite a lot more expensive, and needing to connect in SEA doesn't save much time versus just driving down
Old May 4, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Current data point: applied through Great Canandian Rebates. I received the usual "unable to instantly approve" message and advised to wait the 10 to 15 business days. No less than 90 minutes later, I received the approved email message from MBNA. The GCR posted within 48 hours. . .

First time using this card so will be interesting to see if it's valuable!
It's definitely worth it for the points - esp. for a pretty low annual fee.

Having said that, I wasn't willing to pay the annual fee to keep it going, so I cancelled it. And unfortunately I wasn't able to use the companion fare within that first year - but I will likely be able to use it next year on a churn.
Old May 13, 2015, 1:35 pm

Waiting time for 25,000 points to be deposited?

How long I can expect to wait for the 25k AS points to be deposited? This is my 3rd go around. I applied via GCR, and have made the first purchase with the card. thx.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Genouver
How long I can expect to wait for the 25k AS points to be deposited? This is my 3rd go around. I applied via GCR, and have made the first purchase with the card. thx.
Wait for your first statement to cycle. Confirm in the MBNA Rewards page that the points are transferred. Then wait some more (4-6 days?) and you should see them deposited into your Alaska Air account.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Wait for your first statement to cycle. Confirm in the MBNA Rewards page that the points are transferred. Then wait some more (4-6 days?) and you should see them deposited into your Alaska Air account.
OK, thanks. My first time around, I received the points the day after I activated the card - I hadn't even made a purchase.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:12 pm

OK, thanks. My first time around, I received the points the day after I activated the card - I hadn't even made a purchase.
The game plan changed when MBNA transitioned their online systems to TD's servers, in Fall 2014. Now you have to wait for a statement to cycle to see the points. They need to slow the game down SOME HOW!!
Old May 13, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Why even bother with a first purchase?
Old May 14, 2015, 6:06 am

only in USA... with Bank of America
5 Alaska cards!!!

I Got 5 Alaska Airlines Cards on the Same Day! | Million Mile Secrets
Old May 14, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
only in USA... with Bank of America
5 Alaska cards!!!

I Got 5 Alaska Airlines Cards on the Same Day! | Million Mile Secrets
Our crazy south-of-the-border cousins are going to spiral the AS program into the ground. Makes for less pie, for everyone, everywhere.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:37 am

The passiveness of Canadians or the aggressiveness of the Americans are why Amex Canada and Amex US have such drastically differing policies...

...Anybody want to try applying for 5 MBNA AS cards at once?

The Chase US 24 month policy is reasonable IMO
Old May 14, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
The passiveness of Canadians or the aggressiveness of the Americans are why Amex Canada and Amex US have such drastically differing policies...

...Anybody want to try applying for 5 MBNA AS cards at once?

The Chase US 24 month policy is reasonable IMO
I think a 24 month policy for ANY card is reasonable. There are soooo many cards out there to churn, and even a moderate churner, like myself, can get on a good 2-4 year churning cycle with lots of great cards. As it is, I usually hold 9-10 cards at any given time. I cannot imagine holding more!!!
Old May 21, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
we got her first statement with the card and even tho the statement date says May 19, the rewards box on the side says "your rewards update as of 05/14/15"...

and in the box,
base miles: 96
bonus miles: 25000
miles adjusted: 0
miles shared with Alaska: 0

i'm interpreting this as their points cutoff date for each statement is 5 days before the statement date? since the base miles excluded purchases appearing on the statement, but after 05/14/15. This seems kind of strange and confusing to us, and different from the way things usually work

and not really sure why there are points there, but not shared with Alaska. We'll see if the points show up in her Alaska account in a few days anyway...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Cerenity
we got her first statement with the card and even tho the statement date says May 19, the rewards box on the side says "your rewards update as of 05/14/15"...

and in the box,
base miles: 96
bonus miles: 25000
miles adjusted: 0
miles shared with Alaska: 0

i'm interpreting this as their points cutoff date for each statement is 5 days before the statement date? since the base miles excluded purchases appearing on the statement, but after 05/14/15. This seems kind of strange and confusing to us, and different from the way things usually work

and not really sure why there are points there, but not shared with Alaska. We'll see if the points show up in her Alaska account in a few days anyway...
Did they show up in your AS account?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Did they show up in your AS account?
it did! all the points up to the statement date + bonus pts all showed up.

the statement still confuses us though. never seen anything like that before...
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
it did! all the points up to the statement date + bonus pts all showed up.

the statement still confuses us though. never seen anything like that before...
The new statement format has been showing up like this since last Fall, after the switchover to the TD servers.
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
...my wife got her new card in late Oct. Unlike in the past, have not seen the welcome points post to her existing AS account, even before the card arrives.

So, the paper statement just arrived by mail, and it shows:
Your Rewards Update as of 11/13/14
Mileage Plan Number 000987654321
Base Miles 814
Bonus Miles 25000
Miles Adjusted 0
--------
Miles shared with Alaska Airlines 0
Some people reported that the AS points were deposited after 1 or 2 days, but many (myself included) had to wait 7-9 days.

More recently (last month) the AS points appear to be moving over in in a more timely manner, after 3 or 4 days, possibly dependent on a 'Saturday' sweep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.