Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
Hmmm...it almost sounds like this is their version of keeping the account active for 3-6 months in case you'd like to re-instate it?

I'll keep an eye on mine and if it doesn't show any signs of dropping off by summer (which will have been 6 months), I'll call again...!
I have over half a dozen cancelled MBNA cards, of different variations. They dropped off my online account automatically. It's only after the move to TD systems that my cancelled cards are living on, to infinity and beyond!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thanks for that info. I read a few pages back that someone did not even activate their card. Is this a recommended technique so I don't get statements forever and ever?

Of course, I will pay the annual fee.
Well, I was sitting at the back of the Churning 101 class, and thought I heard that it was best to actually use and pay off the balance on CCs, so that after approximately 6 cycles, the card goes from R0 to R1 (good) status...which looks better in your credit profile.

But, there are a lot of lessons in that class that don't seem to make sense or follow the churning realities that I've seen.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Well, I was sitting at the back of the Churning 101 class, and thought I heard that it was best to actually use and pay off the balance on CCs, so that after approximately 6 cycles, the card goes from R0 to R1 (good) status...which looks better in your credit profile.

But, there are a lot of lessons in that class that don't seem to make sense or follow the churning realities that I've seen.
I've seen some cards transition to R1 after only 1-2 months.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a huge fan of aggressive churn. I can only imagine it draws attention to the behavior and will lead to increased likelihood of companies reviewing their churn friendly policies, and a reduction of long term sustainability
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a huge fan of aggressive churn. I can only imagine it draws attention to the behavior and will lead to increased likelihood of companies reviewing their churn friendly policies, and a reduction of long term sustainability
You're definitely in the minority around HERE, but not in the minority out THERE! My hubby and almost all of my friends, for example, want nothing to do with it. But then they cannot believe it when I fly everywhere for free - and stay at hotels for free.

Personally, I don't see myself as aggressive - but I suppose that is a matter of opinion (the fact that I hold 9 credit cards draws gasps and gaping mouths from those who find out, despite the fact that they all get paid off every month). I only apply for about 2-3 a year, and upgrade/downgrade my 3 major bank cards once a year. So is that 2-3 credit hits a year taking their toll? Maybe. But I think someone reviewing my file may take more of an interest in the fact that I have so many credit cards open at once (I only actually use 3-4 of them regularly - the others are just sitting there in their churn round).

I think the popularity of churning will increase over time, and then CC companies with either a) reduce/get rid of the sign-up bonuses; b) only make one sign-up bonus per lifetime available; c) no longer offer referrals or cash back incentives for sign-ups. But who knows?!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:09 pm

just to clarify, i do apply for cards every 3 months or so, and hold 8-10 active cards usually. i generally hold my cards for the entire year, cancel only when the fees are coming up, and re-apply after 6+ months, yada yada. It makes me look crazy to friends/family but versus some folks on here, it seems pretty tame.

what i would consider to be pretty aggressive churn are things like
- applying for the same card every 3-6 months because the bank allows you to hold multiple identical cards
- cancelling the card within 6 months or less of opening
- re-applying for the same card within 3 months

again, nothing against those that do it more aggressively, as its within their rights to do so. I just thought I'd point out that sometimes a teensy bit slower pace may benefit the entire community in the long run.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:09 pm

just to clarify, i do apply for cards every 3 months or so, and hold 8-10 active cards usually. i generally hold my cards for the entire year, cancel only when the fees are coming up, and re-apply after 6+ months, yada yada. It makes me look crazy to friends/family but versus some folks on here, it seems pretty tame.
again, nothing against those that do it more aggressively, as its within their rights to do so. I just thought I'd point out that sometimes a teensy bit slower pace may benefit the entire community in the long run.
Our styles sound very similar! And I do agree to take it more slow - not just for the sake of the community, but for the sake of your own credit rating!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:04 am

Where can you see its status?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Where can you see its status?
on your full credit report that lists all the cards, their limits, and status

for example on Equifax (i have the unlimited plan due to the HD security breach last year), after I opened a new Chase Marriott in February, I received an alert from Equifax in mid March that a new account was opened.

Among other info, it included these 2 lines (the same info can be seen in the detailed credit report with all your trades & accounts listed)
Months Reviewed:01

Exactly one month later in mid April, I got another alert saying the Chase Marriott account had an account change. The same info now said this:
Months Reviewed:02

I believe the too new to rate is basically R0 and pays account as agreed is R1
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:49 am

on your full credit report that lists all the cards, their limits, and status

for example on Equifax (i have the unlimited plan due to the HD security breach last year), after I opened a new Chase Marriott in February, I received an alert from Equifax in mid March that a new account was opened.

Among other info, it included these 2 lines (the same info can be seen in the detailed credit report with all your trades & accounts listed)
Months Reviewed:01

Exactly one month later in mid April, I got another alert saying the Chase Marriott account had an account change. The same info now said this:
Months Reviewed:02

I believe the to o new to rate is basically R0 and pays account as agreed is R1
Huh.. All mine show "Pays account as agreed" after the very first month reported.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:30 pm
Suspended

For those of you that are applying this card every 3-6 months,
When do you cancel your (previous) cards then?

Or do you leave it until each respective's card 12 months is up?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by BennyTalk
For those of you that are applying this card every 3-6 months,
When do you cancel your (previous) cards then?

Or do you leave it until each respective's card 12 months is up?
I think most people (like me) cancel just prior to the 12 month mark when the annual fee is due to be charged...and then reapply in 6-12 months...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:43 pm

I live on the West Coast, so apply when I need a companion fare... works out to about 1 a year
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pokee
I think most people (like me) cancel just prior to the 12 month mark when the annual fee is due to be charged...and then reapply in 6-12 months...
Thanks. I think that's pretty much the strategy for Amex cards.
But I'm curious about the more 'aggressive' churners on here that's applying every 3-6 months.

For example:
2015 Jan: Apply for card A
2015 Apr: Apply for card B
2015 Jul: Apply for card C
2015 Oct: Apply for card D
2015 Dec: --> Cancel card A? or earlier?
2016 Jan: Apply for card E
2016 Mar: --> Cancel card B?
Old May 3, 2015, 10:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Current data point: applied through Great Canandian Rebates. I received the usual "unable to instantly approve" message and advised to wait the 10 to 15 business days. No less than 90 minutes later, I received the approved email message from MBNA. The GCR posted within 48 hours. . .

First time using this card so will be interesting to see if it's valuable!
Old May 4, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
I live on the West Coast, so apply when I need a companion fare... works out to about 1 a year
Do companion fares work for flights from a US origin (like BLI or SEA) to Hawaii? I heard somewhere they didn't and I cannot find any info stating that...the credit card T&C do appear to include Hawaii. Maybe what I recall hearing is that you cannot fly from Canada to Hawaii on a companion fare?

And does anyone know if there's blackout dates for companion fares or deadlines? I'd be looking to book one for March 2016, but probably won't be ready to book until a few weeks before the flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.