Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Old Sep 8, 12, 9:51 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, San Jose del Cabo, BCS
Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Posts: 82
RBC has Westjet MC. Can't see them taking Alaska MC on as well.
bajacondo is offline  
Old Sep 9, 12, 1:08 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 1,405
Originally Posted by bajacondo View Post
RBC has Westjet MC. Can't see them taking Alaska MC on as well.
Why not? RBC VISA have BA and Cathay Pacific and Avion cards can transfer to AA.
robsaw is offline  
Old Sep 9, 12, 9:50 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, San Jose del Cabo, BCS
Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Posts: 82
Well, hopefully RBC will take on Alaska MC. Then I'll get another card.
bajacondo is offline  
Old Sep 19, 12, 4:28 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Programs: United Premier 1K
Posts: 1,207
I just got off the phone with the MBNA fraud department. (My card was part of a potential merchant leak, so they wanted to issue me a new number. I told them just to cancel the account since I haven't used it since they took the on-line access away).

Take this news for what it's worth, since I doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.

Last edited by Toronto1970; Sep 19, 12 at 11:29 pm Reason: fixed typo
Toronto1970 is offline  
Old Sep 19, 12, 9:36 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, Alaska.
Posts: 36
Originally Posted by Toronto1970 View Post
I just got off the phone with the MBNA fraud department. (My card was part of a potential merchant leak, so they wanted to issue me a new number. I told them just to cancel the account since I haven't used it since they took the on-line access away).

Take this news for what it's worth, since I don't doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.
I know it may or may not be true, but I cannot contain my excitement right now.
dwman90 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 12, 1:29 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,029
Originally Posted by Toronto1970 View Post
I just got off the phone with the MBNA fraud department. (My card was part of a potential merchant leak, so they wanted to issue me a new number. I told them just to cancel the account since I haven't used it since they took the on-line access away).

Take this news for what it's worth, since I doubt call centre staff is privy to much confidential information, but he said that he had heard that the Alaska account was sold to RBC at the same time as the Shoppers business. So fingers crossed that RBC will indeed come out with a new and improved card soon.
Wait, I thought the AS was sold to TD. That was in a letter I got a few months ago.
They're with RBC now? Wow, way to monopolize.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 12, 1:33 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, San Jose del Cabo, BCS
Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Posts: 82
Just spoke to RBC Card Services and the agent was not aware of any purchase of the Alaska Mastercard.. I also thought TD was involved in the sale of MBNA cards I guess time will tell
bajacondo is offline  
Old Sep 20, 12, 8:09 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Programs: United Premier 1K
Posts: 1,207
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Wait, I thought the AS was sold to TD. That was in a letter I got a few months ago.
They're with RBC now? Wow, way to monopolize.
TD bought MBNA, but a few cards (such as Alaska and Shoppers) didn't go with the deal.

Before everyone gets TOO excited, remember that I was just repeating what one call centre person said he had heard. So it's hearsay of hearsay (no matter how much I'm hoping it's true!)
Toronto1970 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 12, 8:39 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, San Jose del Cabo, BCS
Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Posts: 82
Shoppers is now with RBC.
bajacondo is offline  
Old Sep 22, 12, 3:52 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: Avios, NOT Aeroplan, Starwood, HH,
Posts: 168
Orphan child of mastercard

I was actually going to call and cancel this card yesterday as it was time for renewal. I decided to check the charges on the auto system on the phone first, and unfortunately there is a $900 charge from an agency in London I used in August which is either an error or needs to be disputed. I called the agency in London, but it was already the weekend there so I can't find out anything until Monday. Obviously I can't cancel the card now, and my $75 fee has also just posted . I waited on hold 20 minutes to speak to a person at MasterCard about the charge, and they can't even tell me how much it was in GBP until my next statement, and if I can't get it sorted out with the agency in London, I have to wait until my next statement to start a dispute process

I am becoming really concerned as to the level of service I will receive from MC if I do need to dispute the charge. I don't recall ever having a 20 minute hold with a credit card company before. I also anticipate problems getting my annual fee refunded when I do cancel the card.

I get the feeling this AS MasterCard is the unwanted child of both AS and MasterCard. AS has the card buried so deep on their website, they obviously don't care to promote it anymore. I'm worried this card company won't go to bat for me in this dispute. I hope I'm wrong.
mplflyer is offline  
Old Sep 23, 12, 12:55 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,029
Originally Posted by mplflyer View Post
I was actually going to call and cancel this card yesterday as it was time for renewal. I decided to check the charges on the auto system on the phone first, and unfortunately there is a $900 charge from an agency in London I used in August which is either an error or needs to be disputed. I called the agency in London, but it was already the weekend there so I can't find out anything until Monday. Obviously I can't cancel the card now, and my $75 fee has also just posted . I waited on hold 20 minutes to speak to a person at MasterCard about the charge, and they can't even tell me how much it was in GBP until my next statement, and if I can't get it sorted out with the agency in London, I have to wait until my next statement to start a dispute process

I am becoming really concerned as to the level of service I will receive from MC if I do need to dispute the charge. I don't recall ever having a 20 minute hold with a credit card company before. I also anticipate problems getting my annual fee refunded when I do cancel the card.

I get the feeling this AS MasterCard is the unwanted child of both AS and MasterCard. AS has the card buried so deep on their website, they obviously don't care to promote it anymore. I'm worried this card company won't go to bat for me in this dispute. I hope I'm wrong.
Ya, it's really a mess. It's a decent MC, for the few places that don't take Visa/Amex (which are relatively non-existent) but there is the rare case.
And the companion cert is still sorta worth something.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 12:10 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AS MVPG75k
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
And the companion cert is still sorta worth something.
Not to mention the 25K sign-up bonus, and the 2x BR passes. And the card is quite churnable... in fact no need to cancel your previous card since they will allow you to hold more than one card simultaneously (each with its own companion cert and sign-up bonus).

Main drawback compared to the US version of the card (besides the already discussed 'orphan' status and lack of online access) is the higher annual fee which is not waived for the first year.
braffy is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 1:09 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,029
Originally Posted by braffy View Post
Not to mention the 25K sign-up bonus, and the 2x BR passes. And the card is quite churnable... in fact no need to cancel your previous card since they will allow you to hold more than one card simultaneously (each with its own companion cert and sign-up bonus).

Main drawback compared to the US version of the card (besides the already discussed 'orphan' status and lack of online access) is the higher annual fee which is not waived for the first year.
You can have 2 cards at once? Did not know that.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 9:18 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AS MVPG75k
Posts: 351
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
You can have 2 cards at once? Did not know that.
Me neither. I happened to be talking with a CSR about a balance transfer promotion and said it wouldn't work for me since I also use the card for regular spending. He said, why not get a second account, and use one for the balance transfer and one for spending. I was surprised, but he assured me that he's seen it a number of times before, and that there was no restriction against this. So I gave it a shot (mostly for the 25K points bonus and companion cert, both of which are quite useful for me). I applied, had to call reconsideration only because my original card was already at $25K CL and that's the max total they will extend for any one individual. I agreed to reduce the CL on my original card to $20K, they immediately approved the second card for $5K and all the bennies posted without a hitch.
braffy is offline  
Old Sep 25, 12, 1:17 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,029
Originally Posted by braffy View Post
Me neither. I happened to be talking with a CSR about a balance transfer promotion and said it wouldn't work for me since I also use the card for regular spending. He said, why not get a second account, and use one for the balance transfer and one for spending. I was surprised, but he assured me that he's seen it a number of times before, and that there was no restriction against this. So I gave it a shot (mostly for the 25K points bonus and companion cert, both of which are quite useful for me). I applied, had to call reconsideration only because my original card was already at $25K CL and that's the max total they will extend for any one individual. I agreed to reduce the CL on my original card to $20K, they immediately approved the second card for $5K and all the bennies posted without a hitch.
So you need to talk to an agent. Can't just apply online?
Was thinking to add to churn if so.
yerffej201 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: