Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:54 pm

Much ado about nothing.

Got my card, adjusted my income and hope for the upgrade. Got my GCR rebate, got the signup miles and companion fare, and merged my two accounts even though they had different names.

Ended up calling Alaska and sending the passport scan to their email, and got my name changed within an hour

Aeroplan took nearly three months to do the same thing

Most of my miles are from credit card spend, but I just might be a convert...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Got my card, adjusted my income and hope for the upgrade.
Sorry, maybe I'm dense. Not sure what this refers to?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4; Nexus 5 Build/KRT16M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by methodman
Got my card, adjusted my income and hope for the upgrade.
Sorry, maybe I'm dense. Not sure what this refers to?
Read my post in September in this thread.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Much ado about nothing.

Got my card, adjusted my income and hope for the upgrade. Got my GCR rebate, got the signup miles and companion fare, and merged my two accounts even though they had different names.

Ended up calling Alaska and sending the passport scan to their email, and got my name changed within an hour

Aeroplan took nearly three months to do the same thing

Most of my miles are from credit card spend, but I just might be a convert...
Impressive timing...especially for AS.

I think they are replying faster now to emails too ^
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: *void
Wife and I each applied for separate AS cards at end of Aug, when the GCR rebate was $75. No issues with GCR, but it just takes a LONG time to get the cheque in the mail, due to the 45 day holding period. Anyway, our cheques were mailed out on Nov 15th and they arrived in our mailbox last week.

One issue we encountered was with the 25K signup points missing from my wife's account. After the first billing period we saw at the bottom of the statement that the points were posted, but they never showed up in her MP account. We didn't notice this until late Oct. Upon closer inspection of her statement, it turns out that MBNA diverted the points into some other (lucky) member's account. Contacted MBNA to advise them of the correct account number (we have screenshots of her application process showing we did not make a mistake) and 10 days later the points finally showed up in her MP account, though the posting date says Sep 9th.

I wonder if the lucky recipient of the incorrectly awarded 25K was able to redeem the points before they were clawed back.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Mileage bonus for cc referral?

Hi everyone. Couldn't find an answer to this issue in the thread so thought i would ask.

In the USA, Alaska offers cc holders a 2,500 mile bonus for referring friends to apply for the Alaska Visa (http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...d-updates.aspx). Is there a similar offer in Canada? I want my wife to refer me so that she can get the 2,500 mile bonus. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4; Nexus 5 Build/KRT16M) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.59 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by banffflyr
Hi everyone. Couldn't find an answer to this issue in the thread so thought i would ask.

In the USA, Alaska offers cc holders a 2,500 mile bonus for referring friends to apply for the Alaska Visa (http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...d-updates.aspx). Is there a similar offer in Canada? I want my wife to refer me so that she can get the 2,500 mile bonus. Any feedback is appreciated.
Even if there was, don't you think the GCR cash rebate is better?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

i think they're both good offers, but I'm focused in topping up her miles for an upcoming award.

With respect to value, it seems like 2,500 miles can be bought for around $82 USD so if that's the measure of value it seems like its better than the GCR rebate, no?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by banffflyr
i think they're both good offers, but I'm focused in topping up her miles for an upcoming award.

With respect to value, it seems like 2,500 miles can be bought for around $82 USD so if that's the measure of value it seems like its better than the GCR rebate, no?
That's not a good measurement of the value; that's the price of topping up miles if you need to.

At that rate, you're buying 25,000 miles for US$820. And that's not a good value.

You may as well just spend whatever amount you need on the card to get up to the desired threshold, which would be some amount up to $2,500 it sounds like, and earn your miles that way. You've calculated that, to you, Alaska Airlines points would be worth more than 3 cents each anyway.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:38 am

As far as I know, only Amex does referral bonuses in Canada. GCR has member to member referral
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
When churning this card, should you leave your Mileage Plan number blank after the first app, and then merge accounts later? I’m wondering if it matters when churning if you keep adding the same Mileage Plan account number to your app. Thx for your input, those who have successfully churned this card! And how long do you wait between apps? It's been 3 months since my first card, so I'm itching to churn!

Last edited by Preacher7; Dec 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm
Old Dec 24, 2013, 7:59 am

Less than two months after application (and a month after updating my income) I received the invite to upgrade to World this morning, for a bonus of 10k miles

Now shown as pending, whatever that means
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:28 am

Application - No Reply

I applied for this credit card 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything from MBNA (my application status was that I should have my card within 30 days). I have 2 other MBNA cards, so I am wondering if I was declined? Shouldn't I have heard something by now, either way? I applied through GCR and that's how I can usually tell if I've been approved (if my rebate is in my account).

Is it possible that they are just waiting for me to call them in order to approve my application/release the card? I've never had this issue with them before, but I do recall having to wait a long time for the MBNA cards to arrive...
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Is it possible that they are just waiting for me to call them in order to approve my application/release the card? I've never had this issue with them before, but I do recall having to wait a long time for the MBNA cards to arrive...
Before MBNA declines you they would call to discuss moving credit from one of your other cards and/or closing a card to 'free up' available credit. Since you haven't heard anything yet, you should call them and ask about the status of your recent application.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
Before MBNA declines you they would call to discuss moving credit from one of your other cards and/or closing a card to 'free up' available credit. Since you haven't heard anything yet, you should call them and ask about the status of your recent application.
^ Will do - thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.