Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:12 pm

I always get the 30 day message when I apply for an MBNA card, but usually find out I am approved because my of GCR rebate notification!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:50 pm
bhp

I got my card but they gave me a new mileage acct, can my 25k bonus points be merge to the old acct?

Also, I see the companion tix in my account. if i dont plan on using the companion tix for myself, can I use the companion code for my parents?
ANSWER: Looking at the Companion FAQ, we can use the companion code for others, as long as I pay for the revenue & companion tix with a credit card using my name. In practice, looks like AS only checks the LAST name so I assume my dad could use his credit card to book using my companion code.

Thx

Last edited by bhp; Oct 19, 2013 at 1:30 pm Reason: Answer found in Companion FAQ
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by bhp
I got my card but they gave me a new mileage acct, can my 25k bonus points be merge to the old acct?

Also, I see the companion tix in my account. if i dont plan on using the companion tix for myself, can I use the companion code for my parents?

Thx
Contact AS to merge.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Not 100% sure but I think you need to go in under your Mileage Plan account and use your AS MC to buy a companion ticket. That's what I always do .
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by bajacondo
Not 100% sure but I think you need to go in under your Mileage Plan account and use your AS MC to buy a companion ticket. That's what I always do .
You can use ANY payment method to pay for the companion ticket; you don't even need to have a valid Alaska Air CC at all to use the companion ticket. The companion ticket is an electronic "voucher" that is found in your account details on the Alaska Air website.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by robsaw
You can use ANY payment method to pay for the companion ticket; you don't even need to have a valid Alaska Air CC at all to use the companion ticket. The companion ticket is an electronic "voucher" that is found in your account details on the Alaska Air website.
Yes and no. To use a companion code, you must either be one of the parties travelling or the one paying for the tickets using a credit card in your name if you are not one of the travellers. You are correct in that it doesn't have to be an Alaska Airlines branded credit card, but it must be a credit card of some type in the companion pass holder's name. Some discussion if only the last name has to match but you can't just use 'ANY' payment method. It has to be a credit card and the name on the card has to match the name of the account holder who owns the companion pass if said pass holder is not one of the travellers.

Originally Posted by bhp

ANSWER: Looking at the Companion FAQ, we can use the companion code for others, as long as I pay for the revenue & companion tix with a credit card using my name. In practice, looks like AS only checks the LAST name so I assume my dad could use his credit card to book using my companion code.

Thx
Old Oct 21, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
Yes and no. To use a companion code, you must either be one of the parties travelling or the one paying for the tickets using a credit card in your name if you are not one of the travellers. You are correct in that it doesn't have to be an Alaska Airlines branded credit card, but it must be a credit card of some type in the companion pass holder's name. Some discussion if only the last name has to match but you can't just use 'ANY' payment method. It has to be a credit card and the name on the card has to match the name of the account holder who owns the companion pass if said pass holder is not one of the travellers.
Yes, of course, it can be "ANY" credit card as you've described, my point was that the companion certificate isn't linked to a purchase using an Alaska branded card.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
tempted to grab this card.. Can anyone post a link on FT on how to redeem AS miles on CX and Emirates?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:43 pm

Post a link? You're kidding, right?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by todd-r
Post a link? You're kidding, right?
I'm using the android app so it's impossible for me to search on FT but I'll just look for the post when I get home.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by SKYEG
tempted to grab this card.. Can anyone post a link on FT on how to redeem AS miles on CX and Emirates?
Just login in to your mileage plan account and book your trip.

https://www.alaskaair.com/planbook?awards=yes

In some cases I have had to call in for award flights on KLM with fewer connections. You may have the same issue with Emrites, never book an award flight with them yet though.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
emirates is bookable on the phone, cx needs to be booked via phone.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:17 pm

Interested in the companion ticket.

Flying out from YVR to LAX, the base fare for the dates I'm looking at in May are around $250, and $150 in taxes.

Would the companion fare be $99 + $150 taxes? Or would it exclude YQ or something?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by crimsona
Interested in the companion ticket.

Flying out from YVR to LAX, the base fare for the dates I'm looking at in May are around $250, and $150 in taxes.

Would the companion fare be $99 + $150 taxes? Or would it exclude YQ or something?
I can't see the $250 + $150 you are seeing (dates?) but the cheapest I see for one person RT in May is:

Fare Taxes & Fees Charges
Airfare for Traveler 1: $276.29 $77.60 $353.89
Total Due Now: $353.89

Using a CP on those same dates:

Fare Taxes & Fees Charges
Airfare for Traveler 1: $276.29 $77.60 $353.89
Airfare for Companion:$106.43 $69.70 $176.13
Total Due Now: $530.02

So the taxes are just a bit less. If you have a CP, try a dummy booking. If not, if you tell me the dates, I can do a test booking for you as I have a couple of CP's in my account.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:02 pm

I apologize, I seem to have misremembered the pricing (taxes are lower than I remembered, maybe I was looking at 2 people). I'm looking at leaving May 2nd or morning May 3rd, returning May 4th for a weekend wedding.

I have just applied for the AS Mastercard, so do not have a companion pass as of yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.