Search

Seat selection at booking time

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 12:35 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Seat selection at booking time

So I was looking at booking an Alaska Airlines operated flight (not a code share). The seat maps on alaskaair.com indicated some open seats in economy.

But when going to book on alaskaair.com , it said that seat selection was unavailable (flights about four months from now). Is this now the normal case? If it matters, this is as a non-elite Mileage Plan member.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Could be part of the row renumbering...keep checking back.
Old May 1, 2012, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 98103
Could be part of the row renumbering...keep checking back.
I guess I missed that info. Several of my flights required AS to change my seat selections for me.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: no elite status, but i get around
Were the open economy seats you saw earlier elite or non-elite? If you truly saw available seats in the map, then nothing when you booked, there is an issue. This assumes little time between reviewing seat map and booking.

Related...
In several recent experiences, I'm finding at least one third of coach seating is blocked. Either reserved for elite travelers and/or blocked under reservations center or airport control. If a flight is half full, you should be able to book something other than a middle seat.
Old May 2, 2012, 4:19 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
at the rate of things going chip chip...wouldnt be surprised if thats next...advance seating not available for ma and pa kettle without a fee except for middle seats. Im not a big government regulation person by any means but I think there needs to be something done with the airline industry in regards to "fees" and limiting this abuse. Doesnt cost an airline $75 or $150 to change a flight. Doesnt cost $75 for a CSR to answer your call if you want to change something or make a reservation online, that takes 5 minutes of their $10 to $30 an hour time. Do the math, if a reservations CSR takes 10 calls an hour and gets to charge $15 for each reservation do the math...their making after paying the call taker another 130 or so dollars extra. That in itself says we dont value your business, when you call us you are a burden and we wish you would go elsewhere. Seat selection fees?.....doesnt cost the airline a dime if you select seats beforehand. About the only reasonable fee is checked bag fees which also should be capped at a reasonable rate

Last edited by ANC; May 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm
Old May 2, 2012, 5:19 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by airplanegeek
Were the open economy seats you saw earlier elite or non-elite? If you truly saw available seats in the map, then nothing when you booked, there is an issue. This assumes little time between reviewing seat map and booking.
They appeared to be non-elite (not exit row; the ones open were the undesirable ones right in front of the exit row, plus some of the seats behind the exit row). Only a few minutes between checking the seat map and trying the booking (both on alaskaair.com).

Seems like if you cannot actually select your seat, the advantage of pre-assigned seats (over open seating as Southwest uses) goes away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.