Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS, your West Coast schedule is killing me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

I need to go to BZN for a meeting. I think I'll end up "going" via the telephone.

AS has 2 daily flights SEA/BZN. That is fine enough. What isn't are the connections.

Via SFO/SEA, there is a north/eastbound connection of 1:02, and west/southbound connection of 1:06. The "late over 30 minutes" % on the 4 respective flights are: 33%, 23%, 38% and 40%. These connection times are wholly unrealistic given the lack of on time performance.

For a "safe" connection, via OAK, I can build a 4:03 connection (totally ridiculous) or via SFO, a 3:25 connection (almost as absurd). It will take over 7 hours each way to have a realistic chance of making a connection. This is an 800 mile trip.

The only reasonable connections are (1) one that gets me in too late on the outbound to be useful first thing the next morning, and (2) one that departs at 7 AM (i.e., before the meeting) on the return.

I had no idea that BZN was going to be a two full day production to be there a couple of hours. I'd probably get there faster and cheaper routing via AS' Hawaiian services.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:29 pm

I agree that it looks pretty inconvenient ex-OAK, but out of SFO I might be more inclined to take the risk. If for the sfo-sea leg you are talking about flight 307, departing 9:20 am, a quick check on flightaware shows that since April 1, it appears to have only arrived late once (although it that case it was by over an hour). Obviously, if that flight arrives late and you miss your connection you'd have to wait like 8 hours or something, so I can understand not wanting to take the risk, but I think maybe the info AS is pulling for on-time performance is from prior months. The one flight I would avoid if making a connecting is AS 305...the inbound is very, very frequently ATC delayed out of SEA.

For the return BZN-SEA-SFO, you'd have more flexibility since even if the BZN-SEA flight arrives late, there is another SEA-SFO flight three hours later.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:44 pm

I thnink those connection tomes are ideal. Are you looking for a 2 hour connection? Thats being pretty picky for a market as small as BZN. DL has flights with two hour connections in SLC, or you could look in to F9 or UA through DEN.

Last edited by Aliquot; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS,AA,CO
Montana is tough, you can also fly DL.

If there isn't any SFO ATC delay, those connections are good.

I think they are also adding a flight PDX-BZN, but then you'll have a long time on a Q400.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I thnink those connection tomes are ideal. Are you looking for a 2 hour connection? Thats being pretty picky for a market as small as BZN. DL has flights with two hour connections in SLC, or you could look in to F9 or UA through DEN.
1:30+ as the BZN/SEA flight has a 38% 30 minute+ delay rate. I was pretty surprised by the SEA/BZN/SEA delay rates.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:16 pm

I'd recommend flying Continental through Denver.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United757
I'd recommend flying Continental through Denver.
Is this the airline with UA lipstick on the side of the plane? I was hoping not to give that airline any more business than necessary, nor fly on a CRJ (i.e., not even a CR7).
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Is this the airline with UA lipstick on the side of the plane? I was hoping not to give that airline any more business than necessary, nor fly on a CRJ (i.e., not even a CR7).
It says United, but it's Continental. But as a LIFETIME PREMIER ACCESS GOLDEN WHATEVER-THEY-DON'T-CARE ELITE MEMBER, I can't fathom why you wouldn't want to fly on that fantastic airline (or on their regional partners).

And no, I'm not bitter they've taken the worst from both airlines for the combined carrier.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United757
It says United, but it's Continental. But as a LIFETIME PREMIER ACCESS GOLDEN WHATEVER-THEY-DON'T-CARE ELITE MEMBER, I can't fathom why you wouldn't want to fly on that fantastic airline (or on their regional partners).

And no, I'm not bitter they've taken the worst from both airlines for the combined carrier.
I'll trade you my Eastbay1K for your United757
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:03 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
We arranged it that way so you would have time to take me to lunch on your layover. Duh.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I need to go to BZN for a meeting. I think I'll end up "going" via the telephone.

AS has 2 daily flights SEA/BZN. That is fine enough. What isn't are the connections.

Via SFO/SEA, there is a north/eastbound connection of 1:02, and west/southbound connection of 1:06. The "late over 30 minutes" % on the 4 respective flights are: 33%, 23%, 38% and 40%. These connection times are wholly unrealistic given the lack of on time performance.

For a "safe" connection, via OAK, I can build a 4:03 connection (totally ridiculous) or via SFO, a 3:25 connection (almost as absurd). It will take over 7 hours each way to have a realistic chance of making a connection. This is an 800 mile trip.

The only reasonable connections are (1) one that gets me in too late on the outbound to be useful first thing the next morning, and (2) one that departs at 7 AM (i.e., before the meeting) on the return.

I had no idea that BZN was going to be a two full day production to be there a couple of hours. I'd probably get there faster and cheaper routing via AS' Hawaiian services.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm with the others, take DL through Salt Lake. It's a more direct routing anyway. AS' Montana schedules are really geared towards the PNW and Alaska.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
try flying out of Alaska to Seattle. I don't think I've ever had an easy connection or one that didn't require an overnight. I think my last 3 or 4 trips south thru Seattle required an overnight stay :/
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; WN Rapid Rewards; DL SkyMiles; Mariott Bonvoy; Hilton Honors.
That is one of the reasons why ACV and RDD lost QX. The only flight to PDX and later SEA out of NorCal didn't get to a hub until mid to late afternoon. You miss all the morning flights towards the east and have to wait for hours until you connect to the evening flights to cities in the Northwest and Alaska. Unless you were going to SEA or PDX, it was going to be a long day. Flights to LA might have survived with a 50-60 seat aircraft.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I ended up booking AS. DL fares (and aircraft) weren't that appealing, and I was best off booking this as a refundable ticket, or on an airline where if something went wrong, I could just put the entire thing in a credit bank. (Yesterday's 10% off was extra incentive.)

On the northbound, I booked the short connection. If anything goes wrong @ SFO making it look like a misconnect, I'll just have them offload me, and refund the whole thing. On the southbound, I took the long connection, as I can't afford not to get home that night.

If anyone is around and wants to spare me from a couple hours of BR soup on Friday the 27th early evening, holla.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Nevermind,

Hope you made the right choice. It's nice having a lot of airports in the bay area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.