Wiki Posts
Search

Award availability: Alaska vs. United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Award availability: Alaska vs. United

I'm looking at MFR-ATL award availability. Out of 330 bookable days, Alaska has Super Saver (25,000 miles) seats available a total 3 days. United has 25,000 availability nearly every day next January and February, and most weekends through the fall. Are Alaska miles generally so hard to use?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It really depends on the routing. There is only one AS flight to Atlanta, and usually demand is pretty high for it. Using Delta and American I'm going to guess that there are a lot more options, but you have to search by schedule to find those.

Also, out of curiosity, I looked it up. Looks like there is only one connecting flight from MFR to SEA and back that doesn't cause you to spend the night. That will also factor into it. But I would look up availability out of SEA on both DL and AA and try to match it up with AS availability, same with out of DFW, ORD, LAX, etc. I don't know if DL or AA actually flying into MFR or not.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't realize that the Alaska.com search tool doesn't always (ever?) find available DL or AA award seats. Are they working to improve it? Will the AS call center waive the booking fee if it's not bookable through the website?

FWIW, AA does not serve MFR. DL flies to SLC twice a day. Other than that the best AS/partner ATL connection is to fly QX to PDX (4x daily), SEA (3x daily), or LAX (1x daily) and then DL to ATL. It just seems difficult to cobble those together as award tickets.

Seems like UA is much less work. MFR-DEN-ATL is often available.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It does show partner availability, and from what I can tell it does a pretty good job of that. But it only works by schedule and not using the calendar view. There also has to be saver availability on both dates of the round trip. I find it faster to go to the partners website and piece together a routing if my first choice of dates isn't available. I'm not sure if they will waive the call fee if you find availability but can't book it online.

I do agree about the easiness of the UA search engine, it's not perfect but does a pretty good job even with partners.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I'm looking at MFR-ATL award availability. Out of 330 bookable days, Alaska has Super Saver (25,000 miles) seats available a total 3 days. United has 25,000 availability nearly every day next January and February, and most weekends through the fall. Are Alaska miles generally so hard to use?
I tried using miles to hit Europe last year. No options with ANY of AS's partners. Continental (aka United) got me on Lufthansa first class amongst a few other options. I spent 100k miles for a return trip in a lie flat while eating caviar and dining in a restaurant in Frankfurt in the first class lounge.

Alaska would have had me paying $2k to sit in coach.

The program is largely useless if you want to actually use your miles.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by new2japan

The program is largely useless if you want to actually use your miles.
I don't find it so. I've used something like 300,000 of my miles over the years. Seat 2A has a ton of trip reports about using his AS miles.

So, it may be useless to you, but clearly not to everyone.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:26 am
Suspended

I book the same kinds of itineraries as other people do. To boot, the inventory that partners show, doesn't even match what AS offers. I see 20 F class tickets on AA for a flight I want, but AS can't book any of them. ^ I guess you magically avoid that situation.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by new2japan
I book the same kinds of itineraries as other people do. To boot, the inventory that partners show, doesn't even match what AS offers. I see 20 F class tickets on AA for a flight I want, but AS can't book any of them. ^ I guess you magically avoid that situation.
It's not really magically avoiding anything but understanding the program rules and partner availability.

It looks like JFK-LHR has decent availability in August in F on both AA and AS's website. That took me about 5 minutes to pull up. Usually the partner desk is pretty good at working with people- are you having problems with connecting segments?

Also...

I spent 100k miles for a return trip in a lie flat while eating caviar and dining in a restaurant in Frankfurt in the first class lounge.
I'm curious as to how you did that on a flight from the USA to Europe as a UA/CO redemption. F for North America-Europe on UA/CO costs well over 100,000 miles and has for some time- that's closer in price to a business class redemption. Was this from some other location? Was there a mistake in the mileage redemption?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 4, 2012 at 8:51 am
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Part of the difference also has to be how the two different airlines make seats available, and whether it is on their own metal or not.
Same industry, different business practices.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I can't find anything to Mexico which is the only flight I really want. But this is true for UA as well. Will probably just keep saving them for a nice international business class partner redemption (just as I do with UA).
Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I can't find anything to Mexico which is the only flight I really want. But this is true for UA as well. Will probably just keep saving them for a nice international business class partner redemption (just as I do with UA).
From where to where? I usually find plenty of availablity from PDX going through San Francisco.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.