Wiki Posts
Search

"Need Anything for Your Trip...?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
"Need Anything for Your Trip...?"

AS has started sending these nagging emails about two weeks before departure asking whether you "need anything for your trip". I'm unsubscribed from all their mailing lists already and don't see any way to make this stop.

AS, why spam your customers? Do you really find that people have truly forgotten something and are thankful for these nagging emails? Why is there no way to opt out of them? For that matter, when I make a new reservation, why do you always have an "I'd like to receive offers" checkbox that's opted-in by default?

-One pissed-off MVPG75K
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just started getting these myself. It's really starting to annoy this MVPG as well.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I find them annoying as well.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I take it AS is trying to be like G4 and get some additional revenue by packaging your trip with hotel rooms and rental cars. You can't blame them for trying to get some more revenue. For ma and pa kettle, they might actually save some money although I think some of us frequent travelers probably have our set discounts through companies like Avis or Starwood. I remember getting a packaged deal through WN years ago and got a pretty good rate at a LV hotel. I don't see a problem with AS sending these emails. There are other things to get worked up about such as the no G/T fare class for UG certs.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
I take it AS is trying to be like G4 and get some additional revenue by packaging your trip with hotel rooms and rental cars. You can't blame them for trying to get some more revenue. For ma and pa kettle, they might actually save some money although I think some of us frequent travelers probably have our set discounts through companies like Avis or Starwood. I remember getting a packaged deal through WN years ago and got a pretty good rate at a LV hotel. I don't see a problem with AS sending these emails. There are other things to get worked up about such as the no G/T fare class for UG certs.
I tend to agree with you, although perhaps there should be an "opt out." The more $ AS makes, the better it is for all of us. It is kind of how I feel about junk mail. Annoying? Mildly. But if there wasn't any, postage would probably be $2 for a standard envelope. Now that there is less (among other things), the postal service is going broke.

And, I bet, from time to time, one of us will get one of those emails and remember "Oh crap, I forgot to book a hotel (or car)" and even if we don't use the AS link, we'll not arrive at our final destination without a bed.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I don't see a problem with AS sending these emails.
I have no problem with them sending the emails, but let me opt out of them. WN has that option on their "need anything for your trip" emails...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:23 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I received these on my last 2 trips...just more spam trash in the inbox. We might find them annoying but Ma and Pa Kettle probably find them useful. I agree there should be an opt out although on the same token there are already so many opt out things that trying to opt out of all the clutter is in itself annoying like trying to remember to print the BP without all the garbage for example.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
I wouldn't get so worked up except for the fact that I explicitly opt out of all their spam and they simply ignore it.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by IStream
AS has started sending these nagging emails about two weeks before departure asking whether you "need anything for your trip". I'm unsubscribed from all their mailing lists already and don't see any way to make this stop.

AS, why spam your customers? Do you really find that people have truly forgotten something and are thankful for these nagging emails? Why is there no way to opt out of them? For that matter, when I make a new reservation, why do you always have an "I'd like to receive offers" checkbox that's opted-in by default?

-One pissed-off MVPG75K
I got one of these irritating little tidbits not more than 30 hours after booking a flight for September!!!! I would love to opt out of them...permanently!
And I am in complete agreement about, on the order of magnitude, the stripping of G & T fares from the ability to use UG certs....Now that we have eight of them it appears we will never be able to use them. A devious way to award the Business traveler at the expense of the loyal (but admittedly fiscally cautious) leisure traveler....
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by JPat
And I am in complete agreement about, on the order of magnitude, the stripping of G & T fares from the ability to use UG certs....Now that we have eight of them it appears we will never be able to use them. A devious way to award the Business traveler at the expense of the loyal (but admittedly fiscally cautious) leisure traveler....
This is true... these emails are just a drop in the bucket compared to what has happened to our upgrade certificates and associated fare restrictions. However I am curious about your quantity...

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com
Plus, you'll still receive all the regular MVP® Gold Benefits, including:
<snip>
Four one way Complimentary Guest Upgrades awarded annually upon reaching MVP® Gold status.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by beckoa
This is true... these emails are just a drop in the bucket compared to what has happened to our upgrade certificates and associated fare restrictions. However I am curious about your quantity...
Note the 'we'.... each of us got four UG certs for our achieved MVPG status a few months back. Have tried, but still unable to use them...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.261 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by JPat
Originally Posted by beckoa
Note the 'we'.... each of us got four UG certs for our achieved MVPG status a few months back. Have tried, but still unable to use them...
Ah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.